PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

RICK HART: Where in the HELL are our FANS --- STUDENTS????

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: RICK HART: Where in the HELL are our FANS --- STUDENTS

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:11 pm

smupony94 wrote:https://twitter.com/notBobSharp/status/1067859365418409984?s=20

comments like Bob Sharps are another good reason why SMU is losing many of its most loyal fans.

Problem is that RGT will do nothing about replacing his lap boy and the bball coaches. He will again demonstrate his 'burning desire to make SMU athletics top notch'..

By the time he retires or his BOT decides to let him go to pasture this school won't be able to compete with the better local high schools (but at least we will have a lot of pretty fountains).
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 pm

I've gone to 99.99% of all SMU football games in the last 55 years or so whether we were competing for National Championships or competing for the Toilet Bowl and only slightly less in basketball because between about 2002-2008 I really didn't give a damn because I didn't think SMU was playing on an even academic playing field. Obviously many on here feel that you are entitled to a "great product" before you'll support the program. Deal with it-you are the typical [deleted] SMU fan and a major reason this program ain't going anywhere. You act like SMU did this to you-but every freaking school in the Country with a pulse is doing the exact same thing. Its the price to be paid that has to be paid for a small private school without large TV, Bowl, or Conference revenue source or a huge student athletic fees to fund the program

The issue should be framed as follows: Are SMU's alumni, family and friends willing to pay the price (ie cash) necessary for SMU to compete on a nationally competitive level with the prospect that its going to get incrementally more expensive each year into the future. I think the answer for a long time has been-right or wrong-good or bad-that its likely not economically viable for SMU to compete at a national level over the long term and therefore we will compete at the level we can afford based upon an abysmal fan base.

The issue is not so much that some have been priced out of the market-that's a fair and reasonable reason to stop going to games-the issue is whether there are enough SMU fans to make it viable at required nationally competitive funding levels
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 pm

One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Stallion wrote:I've gone to 99.99% of all SMU football games in the last 55 years or so whether we were competing for National Championships or competing for the Toilet Bowl and only slightly less in basketball because between about 2002-2008 I really didn't give a damn because I didn't think SMU was playing on an even academic playing field. Obviously many on here feel that you are entitled to a "great product" before you'll support the program. Deal with it-you are the typical [deleted] SMU fan and a major reason this program ain't going anywhere. You act like SMU did this to you-but every freaking school in the Country with a pulse is doing the exact same thing. Its the price to be paid that has to be paid for a small private school without large TV, Bowl, or Conference revenue source or a huge student athletic fees to fund the program

The issue should be framed as follows: Are SMU's alumni, family and friends willing to pay the price (ie cash) necessary for SMU to compete on a nationally competitive level with the prospect that its going to get incrementally more expensive each year into the future. I think the answer for a long time has been-right or wrong-good or bad-that its likely not economically viable for SMU to compete at a national level over the long term and therefore we will compete at the level we can afford based upon an abysmal fan base.

Truth hurts
Charleston Pony

RICK HART: Where in the HELL are our FANS --- STUDENTS????

Postby smupony94 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm

We can now add Stallion to the list of Ponyfans manifestos. He joins MM65. Such good company.
smupony94

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Stallion wrote:I've gone to 99.99% of all SMU football games in the last 55 years or so whether we were competing for National Championships or competing for the Toilet Bowl and only slightly less in basketball because between about 2002-2008 I really didn't give a damn because I didn't think SMU was playing on an even academic playing field. Obviously many on here feel that you are entitled to a "great product" before you'll support the program. Deal with it-you are the typical [deleted] SMU fan and a major reason this program ain't going anywhere. You act like SMU did this to you-but every freaking school in the Country with a pulse is doing the exact same thing. Its the price to be paid that has to be paid for a small private school without large TV, Bowl, or Conference revenue source or a huge student athletic fees to fund the program

The issue is not so much that some have been priced out of the market-that's a fair and reasonable reason to stop going to games-the issue is whether there are enough SMU fans to make it viable at required nationally competitive funding levels

We just completed a multi million dollar renovation to moody and crum.... pretty market rate if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:00 pm

In these responses, where is there a mention of recruiting and coaching?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Sick of this argument. SMU really is in a no-win situation but I know we will keep trying.

But for our illustrious AD to publicly insinuate SMU fans should support the program no matter what then SMU should damn well support and respect their loyal fans no matter how much money they are willing to fork out without knowing what they will get in return.

So insulting.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

Truth hurts

We are in the basketball thread so let's keep on topic of basketball. We are well aware of your football trials and tribulations and, to be fair, you are absolutely right with respect to football.

So let's answer the question - are there enough SMU fans or people in general who want to support and/or go to SMU basketball games thereby making SMU bball viable? The answer is obvious if you're asking me - yes. I mean upper blue section tickets to big games a few years ago went for like $250 a pop! My friends sold their season tickets via ticket companies because they couldn't believe the demand. Now, on the giving side I think you can sustain SMU basketball. Basketball is an entirely different (and much smaller) animal than football. And so, if you concede the point that alumni giving (smoothed for ups and downs over time) can sustain what is necessary to be a nationally relevant program - then what we are seeing is an absolute collapse of game demand which is the 2nd part of the puzzle and a part we had!

Everyone here is smart enough to know why, so now it's on the school to respond. Or you can blame people for having legit gripes about coaching and recruiting based off of recent results.

Now back to football - f'ing Nick Saban just recently had to admonish the student body so they would show up to cupcake games. Nobody is immune from 2018 where there are dozens of other things to do besides go watch uninspiring athletic events. Give me an SMU vs UCONN game where nobody shows up no matter how bad we are, and that is when we can trash ourselves.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Dutch » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:44 pm

holy cow! You’re just 00.01% away from getting a football like Paul Layne with your name on it you smug SOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Pure gold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Tickets available for $6 for the TCU game right now.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 pm

MustangStealth wrote:Tickets available for $6 for the TCU game right now.

Does that include free beer and an Uber from Mansfield?
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Dutch wrote:holy cow! You’re just 00.01% away from getting a football like Paul Layne with your name on it you smug SOB.

Just 1.5 years away!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:24 pm

PonySnob wrote:Pure gold!

These fake accounts really are pure gold.

Unfortunately pretty accurate too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball