PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: TCU at SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: TCU at SMU

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 am

tristatecoog wrote:On the post game, Jank mentioned how hard the team played with 20 offensive rebounds on 39 missed shots.

Also mentioned that TCU is a very experienced team. Do they have a lot more upperclassmen contributing?

I can’t listen to the guy anymore.

But we did rebound well tonight. That’s athletic ability more than any coaching. The problem is that we missed a ton of second and third opportunities.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:46 am

And to think, the teams loses leaders and scorers in Foster and McMurray next year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 am

Knowing Hart and company, they will wait till end of next year when we barely get 6 wins.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:Of the new faces, Hunt impresses me the most. A year in the weight room and he could have a career here. Surprise Surprise, he's our only recent recruit not ranked 300+.

Well you do have a good point there.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:23 am

- 15 was a senior and was a step above everyone else athletically and physically. Seniors do matter.
- TCU give them credit they were very well organized defensively. They played Whitt and McMurray to take away their right hand and it cut their dribble penetration. They could handle Chargois 1v1 both up top and on the block. Foster couldn't create a play for himself. Mike was the only player on our side who could consistently get to the basket, they tried to make him beat them and he couldn't.
- We missed a lot of open threes in the first half when they did help, and missed a couple in the second. Just not a good shooting night, which happens.
- Lots of talk on here about missed layups. That isn't the problem. TCU had length and were physically stronger than us. That was the problem. We didn't go in hard and dunk. We went under the rim and tried to lay it in on the backside. Chargois doesn't have athleticism or enough strength. He got the ball down low and instead of go up right away and score or draw a foul he would hold the ball and get the ball stripped or pass the ball out. Hunt had a couple of chances to dunk, but didn't want to take contact against a stronger player and tried to lay it in instead and missed without getting fouled. Mike did that as well. Mike and Hunt have the athleticism to rise and dunk, but not the strength to do it against a defender. They need to get thicker. Foster isn't all the way back yet. Whitt, on that inbound lob towards the end, that should have been a dunk and foul. Instead he tries to finnesse it and turns it into a fade away. We have athleticism to make those plays, but we don't have the physicality to get it done and finish those chances. Just my opinion.

I don't know how to explain it, but it was obvious there was a difference between the two teams.. The whole crowd including myself spent most of the game waiting for the other shoe to drop. Its not like our players are bad or not well coached or anything like that. You just get the impression that we don't have "that" guy. A player who would take the attention of the other team and then the other players are good enough to play second fiddle. We have a lot of second fiddles, and no first fiddle. Which is good enough to beat bad and mediocre teams, but not good enough to beat the better teams unless McMurray has one of his freak games. Kind of like the Cowboys at WR - if you make Gallop go against the best corner, he will lose. Beasley against the second best, he loses. But if Cooper goes against the best, he wins. And Gallop is better than the second best, and Beasley better than the third best. Totally changes the matchups.

On our team, Foster, McMurray, Chargois, maybe Mike would be great second options on a good team. Whitt a great third option. But none of them are good enough to win an individual matchup against a good defender. So if you play a team with good defenders/athletes like TCU, we are going to struggle badly offensively. We just don't have a player that scares the other team offensively, and it makes us look like the scrappy underdog. Nic was a great number 1. We had balance the next year with the great team, but Semi was the guy nobody had an answer for. Last year, Shake was even a step back from that - he had a great game against Witchita State but he never fully embraced being "the man" and didn't consistently provide us that top option to shift the matchups. Which is why we were good but not great before the injuries. This year that option just isn't there unless the other team doesn't have a big who can stay with Chagois on the perimeter. You combine that with the lack of physical presences that will allow us to hold the ball and control space on the post like Ben could and you have a team that will really struggle offensively against strong defensive/athletic teams.
JasonB

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:43 am

We are not good at all. There really isn't any reason to dive deep in to it. The recruiting is so bad that this thing is going to get much worse before it gets better. It's all quite sad to be honest.

Best case scenario is "old" new moody atmosphere returns 3-4 years from now.

Sooner Jank is fired (and the remaining staff knows they're gone also because they're a total joke also) then we can start the clock on getting back to where we were.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am

TCU ball movement and play reminded me of our play under LB.

It is sad to see our guys unable to get an open look at a 3 while all of TCU’s 3s were uncontested. The analyst even had to apologize for being repetitive in saying how we were leaving the shooter unguarded.

Way too many turnovers.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 am

tristatecoog wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:What was the attendance like in the non student stands?

Solid attendance. I’d go with 5500 actual and 10% Frogs.

Pretty sad this is what passes for "solid attendance" now.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:What was the attendance like in the non student stands?

Solid attendance. I’d go with 5500 actual and 10% Frogs.

Pretty sad this is what passes for "solid attendance" now.

Could be an interesting Mustang Club fund raising drive this spring.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am

TCU's players have spent a lot of time in the weight room, we looked like skinny runts in comparison.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby bubba pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 am

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... ad-opening

remember when University of Kansas was considering Hart for AD? oh if only it came to be.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:12 am

Georgetown is in rebuild mode now and they are not as good as their record indicates. Just have to see what the team does against them.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:43 am

I debated on weather or not to go to this game. No longer a season ticket holder, I could have simply watched this one at home. In the end, I succumbed as it was sadly our only marquee matchup at home before conference.

Going in - I expected TCU to play a full game just like they did in the second half. Tenacious Defense and knocking down threes. Thankfully they did not, or we would have lost by 20+.

Jaylen Fisher was in McMurray's face all night long and knocked down shots at the other end (in the second) as McMurray does not play defense. It got so out of hand that McMurray started to show his frustration (Fisher was in his head by then as he started celebrating each three with more and more gusto).

The upper classmen of TCU (Fisher and Robinson) are gamers and better than what we have to offer. Add in the size advantage down low and coaching advantage and this was a complete mismatch.

As I had thought, I was listening to the T-C-U chants near the end of the game - at which point, we got up and left. The students showed. I give them credit. There were a lot of empties though - in the prime seats.

Perhaps the team heard David Miller's halftime speech supporting a great future with Jank - but they stopped playing defense at the half and TCU started hitting shots.

Watching a rerun of the HW Bush funeral at home would have been more uplifting than that mess I saw last night at Moody.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am

Well, it’s time for change. Hopefully, sooner and not later. Basketball is officially a first class cluster ****.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 am

PonyTime wrote:I debated on weather or not to go to this game. No longer a season ticket holder.

I was told there were two frogs sitting in my ex-seats.
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball