PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: TCU at SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: TCU at SMU

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

mrydel wrote:TCU ball movement and play reminded me of our play under LB.

It is sad to see our guys unable to get an open look at a 3 while all of TCU’s 3s were uncontested. The analyst even had to apologize for being repetitive in saying how we were leaving the shooter unguarded.

Way too many turnovers.

I thought that too over and over and over and then I went and made myself a half vodka and half club soda in a pint glass with no ice so I could try and forget about it.

So depressing how far we've fallen. Jank and this staff are so clueless it's painful
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 pm

blackoutpony wrote:So depressing how far we've fallen. Jank and this staff are so clueless it's painful

Quite a few people disagreed with me during the offseason when I said going forward we would beat TCU in basketball about as often as we do in football.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 pm

If McMurray had not hit all those 3 pointers in the Wright State game SMU would have lost that game too. McMurray and Jarrey will be gone next year. So whoever is coach then, Jank or whoever will be possibly looking at just about a total rebuild.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Rebel10 wrote:If McMurray had not hit all those 3 pointers in the Wright State game SMU would have lost that game too. McMurray and Jarrey will be gone next year. So whoever is coach then, Jank or whoever will be possibly looking at just about a total rebuild.

That's the SMU way. Just like in football where when we just let JJ go on a bender and burn the whole house down. I wish the admin and those with power actually did stuff progressively rather than reactionary.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Georgetown is in rebuild mode now and they are not as good as their record indicates. Just have to see what the team does against them.

1st game coming out of finals and going on the road...I have very low expectations
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 pm

EastStang wrote:The body of work this season, points to a conditioning problem. In the past, we got better in the second half. This season, we seem to lose our shooting touch as the game goes on. When your guards become bricklayers, it usually means that they are gassed. Give TCU credit they forced turnovers on our players, but still, when you can't shoot, you can't score. These guys have too much talent to have the bad second half shooting percentages that they have. Certainly part of it is the lack of depth. If you can't score in the final five minutes, then you won't win games.

We basically have a 7 man roster (of players who can compete at this level) which is what we've had the past few years, but the problem is that this year's 7 aren't the same caliber as all of those guys currently playing professionally. That's more of a recruiting problem than a conditioning problem
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Rebel10 wrote:If McMurray had not hit all those 3 pointers in the Wright State game SMU would have lost that game too. McMurray and Jarrey will be gone next year. So whoever is coach then, Jank or whoever will be possibly looking at just about a total rebuild.

Losing McMurray might not be such a bad thing. While I agree that he is a big key to our W-L record this season, he's also the guy largely responsible for the one-on-one offense this team is playing. I wondered when he 1st transferred from USF how he would fit Coach Brown's "share the ball" philosophy. Unless and until I see it, Jarrey is not looking anything like the guy he was in the past when surrounded by quality teammates. Too early to call what he might become this season and whether he will have a professional career but yes, he will be missed.

I disagree that this team is going to be a complete rebuild as Whitt, Hunt, Chargois and Mike are all capable guys. It will be a tall order for any coach to use the remaining 'ships to find quality guys who will bring the right chemistry so everyone on next year's roster can play to their capabilities. I'm sure Jank was hoping Bryce Cook would be his next Nic Moore but right now we should all just be hoping Cook has a complete recovery and can enjoy a normal life, with or without basketball.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Jason, you have repeatedly posted that you thought it was tourney or bust for Jank, you also said on a previous post "I have confidence that Miller will push for judgement sooner rather than later".

Just curious, how do you reconcile that with Miller's endorsement of Jank during his halftime ceremonies.

Do you think it was just simply 'I support my HC speak' done so often by GMs or have you changed your position on when Jank leaves?

He very clearly stated that his expectations was to keep the program at a championship level, before he endorsed Jank.

While I was surprised he so clearly publicly endorsed Jank, I still think the prior commitment to excellence takes priority. He can throw his weight behind the coach and still drop the axe when he fails.

Jank's statements in the radio and video postgame indicate that he knows his position is under pressure. Otherwise he wouldn't be so defensive.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:01 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I disagree that this team is going to be a complete rebuild as Whitt, Hunt, Chargois and Mike are all capable guys.

I think we can all agree it’s those 4 and not much more.

For a little perspective.....

Dement’s last year team had NBA’er Quinton Ross, BHOP, Patrick Simpson, Ish and Eric Castro.

Doh’s team had Papa Dia, McCoy (didn’t he have a Kentucky offer), Faye from GT and Robert Nyakundi (I thought he had a Tech offer)

If I had to rank Jank’s vs Dement’s vs Doh’s teams, Dement’s is probably 1st and Jank’s is probably last.

None of these teams were even NIT-worthy.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am

To get back to a top level team in this conference it will be a total rebuild imo. We have not played anyone noteworthy yet. Everyone keeps complaining about McMurray but who do you replace him with on the current team or current recruiting class that willing to carry the team on his back when everyone else is cold? No one. I am not totally anti McMurray at this point.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 am

Rebel10 wrote:I am not totally anti McMurray at this point.

McMurray has a niche: he's the top scorer on bad teams.

We're a bad team, so he's our guy.

For better or (more likely) worse.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:34 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I am not totally anti McMurray at this point.

McMurray has a niche: he's the top scorer on bad teams.

We're a bad team, so he's our guy.

For better or (more likely) worse.

He is Vinny Microwave Johnson off the bench as a scoring 6th on a good team. He has a place and a role. I love the passion and the aggressiveness. But he isn't quite good enough to be the man on a good team.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:46 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I disagree that this team is going to be a complete rebuild as Whitt, Hunt, Chargois and Mike are all capable guys.

Dement’s last year team had NBA’er Quinton Ross, BHOP, Patrick Simpson, Ish and Eric Castro.

Doh’s team had Papa Dia, McCoy (didn’t he have a Kentucky offer), Faye from GT and Robert Nyakundi (I thought he had a Tech offer)

If I had to rank Jank’s vs Dement’s vs Doh’s teams, Dement’s is probably 1st and Jank’s is probably last.

When we hit league, keep in mind that we play at a much higher level of competition now. A lot of those Doh and Dement players would struggle in this league a lot more than CUSA or WAC.

All of that said, next year you have Chagois, Hunt, Whitt, Mike, all solid. Throw in White, Ray, and Young as rotation subs. . I'm sure Douglas is going to transfer, he is getting zero time now.

That means in this recruiting class you have to add two absolutely electric guards who can come in and start right away. Another guard off the bench. And then someone with size that has to sit out a year, probably a transfer. I don't think we will be able to recruit a quality 4-5 with Chargois/Hunt/Mike trio. In fact, you almost hope that Ray gets better and sticks around because I don't think we would be able to recruit over him with the depth.

This isn't a complete tear down and rebuild. There are decent pieces here. Either Jank needs to get two stud guards in, or if he doesn't win the new guy needs to bring in two stud guards. JUCO, GT, or Frosh.

I agree, however, that if Jank or his replacement doesn't get those stud guys in a very large recruiting class, then the program is going to hit molasses and go into rebuild mode for a couple of season because you won't be able to bring in this large group in the next class.

Luckily for us, I think that David Miller recognizes that.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:16 pm

JasonB wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

When we hit league, keep in mind that we play at a much higher level of competition now. A lot of those Doh and Dement players would struggle in this league a lot more than CUSA or WAC.

All of that said, next year you have Chagois, Hunt, Whitt, Mike, all solid. Throw in White, Ray, and Young as rotation subs. . I'm sure Douglas is going to transfer, he is getting zero time now.

That means in this recruiting class you have to add two absolutely electric guards who can come in and start right away. Another guard off the bench. And then someone with size that has to sit out a year, probably a transfer. I don't think we will be able to recruit a quality 4-5 with Chargois/Hunt/Mike trio. In fact, you almost hope that Ray gets better and sticks around because I don't think we would be able to recruit over him with the depth.

This isn't a complete tear down and rebuild. There are decent pieces here. Either Jank needs to get two stud guards in, or if he doesn't win the new guy needs to bring in two stud guards. JUCO, GT, or Frosh.

I agree, however, that if Jank or his replacement doesn't get those stud guys in a very large recruiting class, then the program is going to hit molasses and go into rebuild mode for a couple of season because you won't be able to bring in this large group in the next class.

Luckily for us, I think that David Miller recognizes that.

I think we are in rebuild year. We’ve lost to teams in Moody that should have been wins by no less than 10 points.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am

Just two recruiting classes away from a competitive program?
mustang1992
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball