PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reseat Question

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reseat Question

Postby ponydawg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:10 pm

To those of you who chose not to renew your seats.....do you almost feel relieved?
I hate to say it but after making it a priority for the last 15-20 years, once Rick and SMU let me know my loyalty didn't mean much to them, I stopped trying to make every game. Granted my week nights are busier than in years past, and I'm bitter about paying more for [deleted] seats when I would paid probably whatever they asked to keep the ones I've had for 10 years....but the "freedom" to not go has been pretty nice. I hate to say that, but its currently true.

Anyone else unfortunately feeling that way?
User avatar
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3441
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Reseat Question

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm

When I started purchasing season tickets (Shumate), they were $7 per game with no required donation. I finished out my attendance last season in (essentially) the same seats. Fortunately, I really don't miss going.
My first seats were on the concrete "bleachers" (East end) before Moody was completely "chairbacked".
Tickets were 50 cents to sit there.
48-95
User avatar
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:01 am
Location: University Park

Re: Reseat Question

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm

ponydawg wrote:To those of you who chose not to renew your seats.....do you almost feel relieved?
I hate to say it but after making it a priority for the last 15-20 years, once Rick and SMU let me know my loyalty didn't mean much to them, I stopped trying to make every game. Granted my week nights are busier than in years past, and I'm bitter about paying more for [deleted] seats when I would paid probably whatever they asked to keep the ones I've had for 10 years....but the "freedom" to not go has been pretty nice. I hate to say that, but its currently true.

Anyone else unfortunately feeling that way?

I just boarded the ship I'll be gone most of the winter with the money I saved I have YouTube TV all inclusive internet and a VPN
Yeah I'm feeling real bad about it
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8846
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Reseat Question

Postby skyscraper » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Not renewing is the savviest financial decision I've made in years.
I've made it to five of the eight home games so far and got free tix from friends for two of them. Spent a total of $59 for the other three games (two tix per game) with cheap tix from StubHub.
SMU wanted me to fork over $2k for the chance to keep my old seats.
Image
User avatar
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5328
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Reseat Question

Postby mustang1992 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Same as others. I did not even give it a thought. I also cancelled fball. I went to one game, got in free with my grad school ID. I have watched all the games on TV. The athletic dept won't get another penny from me.
User avatar
mustang1992
All-American
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:29 am

Re: Reseat Question

Postby Arkpony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm

I didn't renew for several reasons, one major one being when I realized I really WAS only a number to the administration. I won't rehash how I got the short end by the administration on an issue I really cared about. Another was the cost to me. I have to drive 750 miles RT for each game plus room, gas, and food cost. Where, other than Mrydel, is there another SMU fan who would expend as much effort, money and time than me to see an SMU basketball/football game? Finally, I saw the handwriting on the wall about where the team was going. I just can't make the effort to see whats being put on the floor now. I've been a loyal Mustang now for almost 60 years. Time to pull back.
Long live Inez Perez!
User avatar
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Little Rock, AR USA

Re: Reseat Question

Postby mustang1992 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Arkpony wrote:I didn't renew for several reasons, one major one being when I realized I really WAS only a number to the administration. I won't rehash how I got the short end by the administration on an issue I really cared about. Another was the cost to me. I have to drive 750 miles RT for each game plus room, gas, and food cost. Where, other than Mrydel, is there another SMU fan who would expend as much effort, money and time than me to see an SMU basketball/football game? Finally, I saw the handwriting on the wall about where the team was going. I just can't make the effort to see whats being put on the floor now. I've been a loyal Mustang now for almost 60 years. Time to pull back.


I lived in Houston for years and had season fball tickets. The minute we moved to the Metroplex I got bball tickets. Now I don't have either.
User avatar
mustang1992
All-American
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:29 am

Re: Reseat Question

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Arkpony wrote:I didn't renew for several reasons, one major one being when I realized I really WAS only a number to the administration. I won't rehash how I got the short end by the administration on an issue I really cared about. Another was the cost to me. I have to drive 750 miles RT for each game plus room, gas, and food cost. Where, other than Mrydel, is there another SMU fan who would expend as much effort, money and time than me to see an SMU basketball/football game? Finally, I saw the handwriting on the wall about where the team was going. I just can't make the effort to see whats being put on the floor now. I've been a loyal Mustang now for almost 60 years. Time to pull back.

We are a dying breed. I hope the younger crowd can pick it up because they are losing a lot of supporters just due to age not to mention the other goings on.

I am still baffled as to why I get alumni donation calls during the basketball games. Shouldn’t I be supporting my team and not be available to speak to them? I would think they could pick better times.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 31071
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: Reseat Question

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 pm

mrydel wrote:I am still baffled as to why I get alumni donation calls during the basketball games. Shouldn’t I be supporting my team and not be available to speak to them? I would think they could pick better times.


I can answer that if you like, but my language might be a little salty for your taste.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Reseat Question

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 pm

The Athletic Department and Mustang Club have just about killed my enthusiasm for SMU basketball... I've missed more games this season than I have total since I graduated in 2008.

I want to love the team (and I have thus far watched every game on TV), but the reseat - and the embarrassingly incompetent way it was rolled out - may have been the final straw that gave my internal cynicism about SMU athletics an advantage over the naive optimism I'd been living off of for years. I hope the cash grab was worth it, but it definitely doesn't seem like I'm the only one that feels this way.

No amount of bad coaching or poor performance on the court/field ever damaged my allegiance to SMU the way that the administration has in the past few years.

(More power to you guys that have put up with this seemingly never-ending nonsense for more than a single decade...)
User avatar
SMU Section F
Heisman
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Reseat Question

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I will never end my loyalty, but it can get frustrating.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 31071
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: Reseat Question

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 pm

mrydel wrote:I will never end my loyalty, but it can get frustrating.

yeah well were all brothers
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8846
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Reseat Question

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:57 pm

I had two excellent seats on the third row of section 204, center court. For many, many years. I am a long suffering fan, qualifying for 1500 club status. The reseat greatly disappointed me. And I articulated my opinion to the Mustang Club and ticket office when they contacted me. Apparently, fan loyalty meant nothing to them.

I chose not to renew, as a matter of principle. I intended to buy individual tickets for select games. However, that decision has become somewhat moot since a couple of months ago I relocated from Bedford to North Carolina to be near our five grand kids.

I will continue to follow the team, and the actions of our esteemed AD. It does seem to me that Rick has "killed the goose that laid the golden egg."
Last edited by H-E-B Mustang on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
H-E-B Mustang
Varsity
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Cary, NC

Re: Reseat Question

Postby Arkpony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Like Mrydel, my loyalty to SMU will not fade. I will still watch some games on TV and occasionally use Stubhub to get a ticket. However the money for the Mustang Club and season tickets/parking has ended. I might add my grandchildren will not be going to SMU as did their father and grandfather.
Long live Inez Perez!
User avatar
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Little Rock, AR USA

Re: Reseat Question

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 am

Arkpony wrote:I might add my grandchildren will not be going to SMU as did their father and grandfather.

Personal choice?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2091
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Spring, TX

Next

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests