PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reseat Question

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Reseat Question

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:12 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I love a good rally of the torches as much as the next guy, and love all of you guys...that said, had the donor guide not been to mailboxes by the end of the first week of the last calendar month of the year, that'd be fundraising department malpractice.

Same with tickets..if there is inventory to sell (the reasons for existing inventory notwithstanding), if there was zero effort put forth to sell that inventory, that would similarly be ticket sales department malpractice.

I'll be glad when you quit that job brother. You don't deserve it plus your fire engines too small
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Malpractice?

We talking bout malpractice?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Malpractice?

Yo sad isn't the Hamptons freezing up there right now?,
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:05 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:

Chlling the LaGritona out on the deck.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Malfeasance? Actually that's probably a term better directed at our recruiting efforts
RGV Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:14 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

Chlling the LaGritona out on the deck.

Vodka probably getting an assist
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I love a good rally of the torches as much as the next guy, and love all of you guys...that said, had the donor guide not been to mailboxes by the end of the first week of the last calendar month of the year, that'd be fundraising department malpractice.

Same with tickets..if there is inventory to sell (the reasons for existing inventory notwithstanding), if there was zero effort put forth to sell that inventory, that would similarly be ticket sales department malpractice.

Fair enough. Can't blame a drowning man for trying to survive... even if he tied his arms behind his back and jumped into the deep end himself.

Though I think the onlookers are entitled to some eye-rolling and "I told you so"s.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 pm

SMU Section F wrote:

Fair enough. Can't blame a drowning man for trying to survive... even if he tied his arms behind his back and jumped into the deep end himself.

Though I think the onlookers are entitled to some eye-rolling and "I told you so"s.

Well played, F! Pithy.
78pony
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 am

One Trick Pony wrote:

I'll be glad when you quit that job brother. You don't deserve it plus your fire engines too small

Agreed, I don't like our good friend RGV, being forced to the front lines.... with a switchblade.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

Agreed, I don't like our good friend RGV, being forced to the front lines.... with a switchblade.

Perhaps we can get him impeached and help him out lol. I know where a couple of the bodies are located
One Trick Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Appreciate the kind thoughts and snark but...wasn't forced to do anything. In fact, I'm just like all of you guys. I have season tickets. I donate. If I want to decrease my donation, I probably won't have the same season tickets. If I want to increase my donation, it doesnt guarantee that I will get better seats. Am I thrilled with that? Nope. Does it change anything? Nope.

As to the "eye rolling" that was a fine response..thing is, the donor guide goes out the first week in December every year. As I mentioned before, ticket sales job is to sell tickets. If there's tickets to be sold, and they don't attempt to market/sell them, I'm sure you folks (and I) would [deleted] about that too. As to the "I told you so," if by that you mean you foretold the financing of the basketball coaches offices, football locker room, IPC, and finishing the Aquatic complex as a result of the momentum from the reseat, good on you. I would submit that SMU athletics has been 'drowning' since being thrown into the water while the others stayed ashore with the breakup of the SWC.

That out of the way, here's where I, RGV, am coming from. Not where the MC is coming from, but why I think the way I do:

-61% of the $ our Athletic Dept has comes from season tickets and fundraising. That P5 check hasnt come, and isn't coming anytime soon. So while I get that it's someone's prerogative to not give or not renew for whatever reason, it's counterintuitive to competing.

-the MC is the fundraising arm of the department. That's what it does. One of my Cox classmates is in fundraising at Cox. If I don't like a speaker or the timing of a mailing or the fact that Einsteins in Fincher ran out of turkey, my first thought generally isnt to call her and complain. MC is unique in that it is usually the first to hear about observations, complaints, thoughts...I like that uniqueness, thus my desire and the 30 or so others to serve. Efforts to engage and listen during football for instance were because one of the board members thought we should...and we did. And will continue to do so.

-We need a better schedule. It sucks we have two bad losses and that it appears TCU has surpassed us. We need to recruit better. I think our in-game production needs to improve..it hasnt been as good as year one of new Moody, and that sucks. And, of course, attendance is a concern. Before we jump into more 'I told you so' arguments, consider that since 2015 we've not once had 100% or close to 100% of sold tickets scanned for a game at moody. Not 90, not 80, not 70. So to the extent I can move the needle there, I'll use my tix or see that someone does.

-Like every other high-mid, non-blue blood, we have to get the students engaged and to the game. While I've already posted about the $79 mob deal, on those nights when mob attendance is between 25-40 (which is to say, every game but TCU), ANY student can stand in that section. They simply aren't. My personal view is that's scheduling and overall buzz.

I've seen athletic departments where fundraising is done so poorly that the department is hamstrung for years on end, having to pay back the university by making loan payments year after year. That's fortunately not us. Lots of room for improvement, obviously..I just don't get much from the 'everything sucks' movement.
RGV Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm your Snarkleberry.
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm

RGV Pony wrote:

Malfeasance? Actually that's probably a term better directed at our recruiting efforts

That was just a channeling Iverson joke....

Nothing more.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:43 pm

RVG knows I love him. And like Jimmy two times said - I'll never tell I'll never tell.

Oh yeah and here's a shot for you Sad
From some fake island in the Caribbean now.
Drinking whiskey on the Rocks talking some s***
One Trick Pony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm

I don't begrudge the ticket deals. There's a ton of inventory and they need butts in seats.
The AD mailer was pre-timed, but reading it this weekend made me laugh.
The department made a blatant money grab, and it netted them more money this past year. But longterm effects are unknown right now. TBH, the biggest thing Rick can do to get some credibility back is get rid of Jank in March. If Jank is back for '19-'20, it's gonna be real bleak for basketball.
skyscraper

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball