PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Remember the good times

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Remember the good times

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:42 pm

skyscraper wrote:I know we are hating everything, but it's important we don't let some urban myth become accepted reality.
The school, rightly, wanted a clawback inserted in the extension if LB got in trouble again or the APR rendered SMU inelligible.
That is a very reasonable stance. They didn't run him off.
I love LB and what he did for the program, but him quitting the morning after the DPD shooting in downtown was pathetic.

Isn't this country built on urban myths?
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I know we are hating everything, but it's important we don't let some urban myth become accepted reality.
The school, rightly, wanted a clawback inserted in the extension if LB got in trouble again or the APR rendered SMU inelligible.
I love LB and what he did for the program, but him quitting the morning after the DPD shooting in downtown was pathetic.

I believe you mean that Ohio State was coached by Urban Myers.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Suburban. :lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 pm

mrydel wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

I believe you mean that Ohio State was coached by Urban Myers.

Yeah! Whiskey flats
One Trick Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

So what’s it take to get back? Where is David Miller’s head in all this? My understanding is we will make a definitive move at the end of this season, that a berth in the Dance this year is the sole criterion. But that’s second-hand info.
ponyboy

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 pm

ponyboy wrote:So what’s it take to get back? Where is David Miller’s head in all this? My understanding is we will make a definitive move at the end of this season, that a berth in the Dance this year is the sole criterion. But that’s second-hand info.

Starting by recruiting kids with more than zero offers is a good start for the next HC and staff, and just generally not being a total embarrassment on the recruiting trail. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 pm

I watched alot of quality college hoops this past week and it was far from just the blue-bloods. I saw some excellent coaching moves, timely time-outs, zone/man switches at key times, a well-placed technical or two.
I saw offensive movement, interior passing and guys who attacked the rim with a vengeance.

I saw some awesome freshmen (Bama), some upper-classmen who did underclass time on the pine (Cincy, Tennessee) and a few pretty salty Juco and grad transfers who made a difference.

I saw full arenas and boisterous crowds.

There are plenty of very capable coaches out there who can and will go after the guys we need to compete at the top level and there are a good number of really talented players....regardless of how many stars they had....playing really good basketball.

I really tip my hat to Mick Cronin, Rick Barnes, Avery Johnson, Kelvin Sampson, Mark Few and Chris Mack, who turned a trainwreck into a competitive team. Louisville has castoffs from both Ollie and Jank making contributions.

The guy from New Mexico State can obviously light a fire under his guys. Fred Hoiberg is jobless.

We need a guy.

Bad.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mtrout » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Well we are effectively ineligible now because we suck.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
ponyboy wrote:So what’s it take to get back? Where is David Miller’s head in all this? My understanding is we will make a definitive move at the end of this season, that a berth in the Dance this year is the sole criterion. But that’s second-hand info.

Starting by recruiting kids with more than zero offers is a good start for the next HC and staff, and just generally not being a total embarrassment on the recruiting trail. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Be good to get some even top 190;recruits.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm

back to 14 or 15 win seasons we go...
Pony ^

Postby redpony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Pony ^ wrote:back to 14 or 15 win seasons we go...

we'll be very lucky to do that this year. IMO

Frustrating that the powers that be won't make a move before the end of the season.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Right now this looks like a 13-18 team. Hope they can alter my opinion of them beginning with the Georgetown game, which in the past would have been a very winnable game.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Right now this looks like a 13-18 team. Hope they can alter my opinion of them beginning with the Georgetown game, which in the past would have been a very winnable game.

A couple of years ago we would have put it on Georgetown.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 am

redpony wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:back to 14 or 15 win seasons we go...

we'll be very lucky to do that this year. IMO

Frustrating that the powers that be won't make a move before the end of the season.

While I understand your frustration and believe the verdict is in, would there really be a benefit to relieving Jankovich now as opposed to the end of the season? We don't have any promising assistants on the bench that merit the opportunity so I think it would simply worsen the outcome of the season, which would not be fair to Jarrey and company.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

XC- I actually had in mind the hiring of a new coach who could take over immediately. Of course this would be a person not actively coaching at the moment. The long layover we just had would have been a good time for a change IMO. I realize there are a lot of challenges to this but it would give the new coach some time to evaluate (real time) what he has and start planning on targeting recruits that could build this roster.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball