PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Remember the good times

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Remember the good times

Postby redpony » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Can you imagine Rick Patino as coach with LB as a practice coach? Wow!! that would be interesting.
LB would not have to worry about games and only teach in practices.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 pm

I am all in on Pitino. I am so tired of us being battered by the national press and the horrid NzcAA that I don’t give a rats behind what people think. I want another’s Larry Brown. Of course our admi is scared to death of opinion and the ncaa so it aint gonna happen.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:52 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Pitino knows what can happen at SMU and more importantly he knows how to get it done. I would be all in with him regardless of what was said.

Curious, not that it matters, but does anyone know what kind of relationship, if any that Pitino and LB have or had?

No but I thought this was on topic

Halfway to Dallas?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 pm

ponyboy wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I had my hopes at the beginning of the season, but short of a miracle, no, I do not think the team will do it with Jank. Neat guy, but not the right guy.

Well you just went up two notches in my opinion meter lol

Two notches is better than zero, ha

He had a negative opinion of you....it’s still negative, but improving

(8) + 2 = (6)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k ponyboy
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:53 pm

1st challenge for Jank to have any chance of returning this team to the upper tier of the AAC has been met (winning a road game at Georgetown). I still think these guys need to win 20 + games (which means going 12-6 in conference) and win a game or two in the NIT at a minimum...but will still need to find at least 2 stud GT guards who can come in next year and replace what we are going to lose with Foster, McMurray & Dixon all moving on.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:43 pm

The only thing about getting a grad transfer is the they are only a temporary one year fix. And as we have seen before not all of them workout. But even if it did workout it is only for one year and this team needs long term stability with players and that means good recruiting of solid high school players.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Rebel10 wrote:The only thing about getting a grad transfer is the they are only a temporary one year fix. And as we have seen before not all of them workout. But even if it did workout it is only for one year and this team needs long term stability with players and that means good recruiting of solid high school players.

Agree that it's a one year fix at best but with Jank only getting one contributing frosh year after year, it's going to take a couple of GTs to keep the program from bottoming out. With 13 ships going forward and a decent 7-8 man rotation, we might then have the luxury of taking transfers that can play 2-3 years after sitting out a year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:32 pm

I am not a fan of getting too many transfers either. Maybe one or two at most. But bottom line is he has got to be able to recruit good high school players imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:07 pm

If we get guys like Semi Okeleye, Nic Moore, Jimmy Whitt, Isaiah Mike, Jamal McMurray I have no problems with building our core with transfers.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote: and win a game or two in the NIT at a minimum.. .

Sorry, but the NIT is not where we want to be. If we aren't invited to the big dance then it should be bye-bye to tankovich. His lack of recruiting is one of the major problems.. Forgetting all the coaching problems etc.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Semi Ojeleye and Nic Moore led us to the best seasons at SMU since the early 80s including a pair of NCAA tournament appearances which should have been at least Sweet 16 runs.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

mustangxc wrote:If we get guys like Semi Okeleye, Nic Moore, Jimmy Whitt, Isaiah Mike, Jamal McMurray I have no problems with building our core with transfers.

Don't forget Gu who gave us 3 pretty good years
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:49 am

Exactly!
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:18 pm

The road to success is to recruit high end 3 stars with some 4 stars mixed in, and then land some really talented transfers. GT normally isn't the right way to go for that... usually more of a stop-gap. Every recruiting class should include a high level transfer. That is the direction we have gone - Moore, Gu, Semi, Whitt, Mike... last year we couldn't do it because of the need to get kids that could play immediately, but one of this year's class needs to be a transfer.
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm

JasonB wrote:The road to success is to recruit high end 3 stars with some 4 stars mixed in, and then land some really talented transfers. GT normally isn't the right way to go for that... usually more of a stop-gap. Every recruiting class should include a high level transfer. That is the direction we have gone - Moore, Gu, Semi, Whitt, Mike... last year we couldn't do it because of the need to get kids that could play immediately, but one of this year's class needs to be a transfer.

This ^

The goal every year should be a top 100 HS guy, 1 or 2 top 100-200 HS guys and a transfer. If we have another to give take a chance on a 250+ guy with a high upside, or a grad transfer. The issue lately is our last four HS recruits have been rated 300+.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball