PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Georgetown Roll Call

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Georgetown Roll Call

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:25 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Another major dumpster fire scenario would be Jank not getting to the NCAA tournament but winning just enough games and giving just enough excuses to keep his job and pulling 2 lower level recruits. And then having a less than desirable season next year.

Exactly. I feel like I am crazy. This is a variation of June all over again. It is that simple. There are people in power and who have influence who want to see Jank succeed and will leverage anything positive to keep him around - just like June. Rip the band-aid off. To assume Jank is gone after next year even if he somewhat keeps it together over that period is to completely forget how the June thing went down.

Obviously there are positives on our team, and that is great. But replenishment via recruiting is everything and it isn't there and you will always wither if you don't address it. That isn't even my main gripe though; the way Jank and staff recruit is they recruit scared. You can't have that running your program. I don't dislike the guy, I just want him running our bball program.

I get the concern, I just don't think it is a viable scenario. Jank had the "too bad you lost so many players to injury" waiver last season. The people involved have high expectations and understand the recruiting situation.

This is a very different scenario from June. June was the only coach in 25 years to lead us to a bowl game, and led us to several in a row. That was a massive step up in achievement, regardless of the level of competition. He was given one down year to rebuild and the pressure was on him big time the next season and he quit. As a school with a long tradition of losing, if we had fired the coach after one 5-7 season after several bowls in a row, we would have been a laughing stock and nobody would have been interested in the job.

For basketball, investment and Larry Brown have raised the expectations of the program. Mediocrity will not be tolerated. Nobody feels like Jank was the driving force behind our recent success. And the well wasn't dry when he showed up, which Morris had an excuse for. The leash is short until he proves himself.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:01 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:All three: Landrum, Douglas and Ray are reportedly good eggs.
And I haven’t heard anything bad about their work ethics other than Ray doesn’t grasp Jank’s concepts quickly or easily. But it’s not about their character.

You could have made arguments for or against any or all of them at the time they were signed. But a season and a half into their college careers none has provided any significant contribution to the program.
Landrum moved on.... problem solved.
Douglas clearly has not met expectations and now it looks like Jank has lost confidence in him. He’ll be gone.
Ray is a bit more difficult because of his injury. He’ll most likely redshirt so he’s basically still a freshman who needs to further prove himself.

But the message is pretty clear. Jank needs to recruit better than his current record indicates and it definitely does not appear he is up to that task.

It’s too bad: Jank is a nice guy. Landrum, Douglas and Ray are good kids.

And this is a .500 team flat out of excuses. An improving .500 team? Yes.

But it’s pretty clear to see that, if recruiting continues as it has, we’ll not compete with top tier teams.

So.... Landrum was in handcuffs as I posted this?
Can I get a mulligan?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Another major dumpster fire scenario would be Jank not getting to the NCAA tournament but winning just enough games and giving just enough excuses to keep his job and pulling 2 lower level recruits. And then having a less than desirable season next year.

Exactly. I feel like I am crazy. This is a variation of June all over again. It is that simple. There are people in power and who have influence who want to see Jank succeed and will leverage anything positive to keep him around - just like June. Rip the band-aid off. To assume Jank is gone after next year even if he somewhat keeps it together over that period is to completely forget how the June thing went down.

Obviously there are positives on our team, and that is great. But replenishment via recruiting is everything and it isn't there and you will always wither if you don't address it. That isn't even my main gripe though; the way Jank and staff recruit is they recruit scared. You can't have that running your program. I don't dislike the guy, I just want him running our bball program.

And he could make it to the NIT which would be the equivalent of what June Jones did by making it to Mickey Mouse bowls (while his recruiting went downhill) and proclaim he needs a couple more recruiting classes to get better. They would probably allow that as the recruiting might not get any better. Hence the downward trajectory of the program.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ObeyMyDog » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm

JasonB wrote:For basketball, investment and Larry Brown have raised the expectations of the program. Mediocrity will not be tolerated. Nobody feels like Jank was the driving force behind our recent success. And the well wasn't dry when he showed up, which Morris had an excuse for. The leash is short until he proves himself.

Have you heard the recruiting service stories on Jank? I mean the guy is essentially scared to talk to recruits, it makes him nervous or something. It's so much easier to peg yourself as a DITR guy and go offer uncontested kids, who thank you up a down for a chance to play, vs grinding in a recruiting battle for a top 150 type player and ultimately landing those players.

Look, I want to walk the line on him and say the jury is still out so I don't feel like a miserable person. He probably is a good coach as well, but I still can't tell for sure. Regardless, the only way he should be here long term though is to jettison his dead weight staff and go get recruiting trail pros because he stinks at every single aspect of current day recruiting. I imagine he will have to be told to do this if the powers that be want him to still be here.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:42 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:Look, I want to walk the line on him and say the jury is still out so I don't feel like a miserable person. He probably is a good coach as well, but I still can't tell for sure. Regardless, the only way he should be here long term though is to jettison his dead weight staff and go get recruiting trail pros because he stinks at every single aspect of current day recruiting. I imagine he will have to be told to do this if the powers that be want him to still be here.

Ray #354, Young #367, White NA, McBride #356, Cook #423. The jury has spoken, people just don’t want to accept the verdict.

Instead we get....

let’s hire Nic as an assistant
let’s hire LB as an assistant
let’s fire all his assistants
let’s put some fire in his recruiting
let’s read a book on attendance
let’s Shake Moody
let’s give Jank more time
let’s re-do Jank

Here’s my solution....

let’s Fire Jank.

If he can’t get it done when we are a Top 5 program, why waste time with him now?
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:All three: Landrum, Douglas and Ray are reportedly good eggs.
And I haven’t heard anything bad about their work ethics other than Ray doesn’t grasp Jank’s concepts quickly or easily. But it’s not about their character.

You could have made arguments for or against any or all of them at the time they were signed. But a season and a half into their college careers none has provided any significant contribution to the program.
Landrum moved on.... problem solved.
Douglas clearly has not met expectations and now it looks like Jank has lost confidence in him. He’ll be gone.
Ray is a bit more difficult because of his injury. He’ll most likely redshirt so he’s basically still a freshman who needs to further prove himself.

But the message is pretty clear. Jank needs to recruit better than his current record indicates and it definitely does not appear he is up to that task.

It’s too bad: Jank is a nice guy. Landrum, Douglas and Ray are good kids.

And this is a .500 team flat out of excuses. An improving .500 team? Yes.

But it’s pretty clear to see that, if recruiting continues as it has, we’ll not compete with top tier teams.

So.... Landrum was in handcuffs as I posted this?
Can I get a mulligan?

Yes, but only because it’s Christmas and most of your posting is quality.
SoCal_Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:18 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
JasonB wrote:For basketball, investment and Larry Brown have raised the expectations of the program. Mediocrity will not be tolerated. Nobody feels like Jank was the driving force behind our recent success. And the well wasn't dry when he showed up, which Morris had an excuse for. The leash is short until he proves himself.

Have you heard the recruiting service stories on Jank? I mean the guy is essentially scared to talk to recruits, it makes him nervous or something. It's so much easier to peg yourself as a DITR guy and go offer uncontested kids, who thank you up a down for a chance to play, vs grinding in a recruiting battle for a top 150 type player and ultimately landing those players.

Look, I want to walk the line on him and say the jury is still out so I don't feel like a miserable person. He probably is a good coach as well, but I still can't tell for sure. Regardless, the only way he should be here long term though is to jettison his dead weight staff and go get recruiting trail pros because he stinks at every single aspect of current day recruiting. I imagine he will have to be told to do this if the powers that be want him to still be here.

I get it. Nobody is sticking their head in the sand on this. Getting to Mickey Mouse bowls was great under June because we had never been there before. Getting to the NIT under Larry was awesome because we were on the way up. The expectations have been raised since then in both sports. Jank sneaking into the NIT isn't going to do anything to lengthen his stay unless he has some awesome players lined up to join the program. Jank sneaking into the NIT with a bare cupboard is going to drive change, because David Miller doesn't want to watch an 14-14 team next season. And 14-14 is gonna happen unless we add a really, really good starting guard to go along with the JUCO guard in this class.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Basketball