PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

18-12 regular season...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 18-12 regular season...

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:45 am

mustang1992 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
redpony wrote:and if we continue to be on the losing end of games this year then the fair weather fans will disappear and the dedicated fans won't care to come back until there are big changes.

No...the 1500 has always been there to support this program and will continue to be there no matter what is going on. That has long been the approximate number of hard core fans supporting SMU hoops.

I am a hard core fan, been one my whole life. I have 3 degrees from SMU, so I am not just a fan about athletics, the school as a whole. But because of the re-seat I am no longer in the gym, I also cancelled my fball season tickets. This current athletic dept will not get another penny from me.

Thank you for clearly articulating an enormous problem within SMU’s fan base, and partially why we remain forever reliant on about a dozen people keeping us from slipping to D-2 status.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:50 am

We are down to about 5 old white guys now. It appears the fans won't pay market rate
smupony94

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am

smupony94 wrote:We are down to about 5 old white guys now. It appears the fans won't pay market rate

It is what's known, scientifically, as a "garbage take."
PonyKai

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 am

smupony94 wrote:We are down to about 5 old white guys now. It appears the fans won't pay market rate

Having been a classmate of David Miller, please know we would prefer “mature”.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dutch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:05 am

mustang1992 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
redpony wrote:and if we continue to be on the losing end of games this year then the fair weather fans will disappear and the dedicated fans won't care to come back until there are big changes.

No...the 1500 has always been there to support this program and will continue to be there no matter what is going on. That has long been the approximate number of hard core fans supporting SMU hoops.

I am a hard core fan, been one my whole life. I have 3 degrees from SMU, so I am not just a fan about athletics, the school as a whole. But because of the re-seat I am no longer in the gym, I also cancelled my fball season tickets. This current athletic dept will not get another penny from me.

by definition, you are not a 'hard core fan' if a donation to support your school/athletic department scared you away.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 am

mrydel wrote:

I consider myself to be in your bracket now
smupony94

Postby Dutch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:23 am

smupony94 wrote:
mrydel wrote:

you are nothing resembling "mature"
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:29 am

smupony94 wrote:
mrydel wrote:

You are barely a man.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Dutch wrote:
mustang1992 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:[quote="redpony"]and if we continue to be on the losing end of games this year then the fair weather fans will disappear and the dedicated fans won't care to come back until there are big changes.

by definition, you are not a 'hard core fan' if a donation to support your school/athletic department scared you away.[/quote]Gotta call your bluff on that 1 I'm in the same boat and you know I was hardcore . I still follow with anticipation but I don't travel to or donate .

Hire a coaching staff that can recruit top tier athletes I'll donate again , Travel 80 miles for each game buy $10 beers and sit above the rail because they won't sell me a seat on the floor .lol
One Trick Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:29 pm

A hard core fan doesn't need to set foot in the gym. I consider myself a hard core fan but I let go of my FB season tickets too. I still go to games, getting tickets on the secondary market or through work, but the only way the school and AD will learn is when the money goes away. There is an argument, in fact, that the likes of David Miller are unwittingly hindering the operation of the department because they support it and nullify the influence of the fanbase as a whole.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:32 pm

You can define "hard core" however you want, but you are not Websters, you don't have a monopoly on deciding what is what. You also don't know anything about me, so how do you know we are in the same boat? Part of the reason why this AD program is mediocre is because the fans/donors/season ticket holders don't hold them accountable. We are not Kansas - despite the propaganda from the AD. Jank will be back for another year (at least) because this fan base has tolerated mediocrity in athletics for years (e.g., see the past 30 years!). You can call me not a fan if you like, I don't really care, but I refuse to allow an AD to treat me like an economic commodity then ask me for loyalty in return.

Just two more recruiting classes away from a competitive program! :lol:
Last edited by mustang1992 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:40 pm

mustang1992 wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:by definition, you are not a 'hard core fan' if a donation to support your school/athletic department scared you away. Gotta call your bluff on that 1 I'm in the same boat and you know I was hardcore . I still follow with anticipation but I don't travel to or donate .

Hire a coaching staff that can recruit top tier athletes I'll donate again , Travel 80 miles for each game buy $10 beers and sit above the rail because they won't sell me a seat on the floor .lol

You can define "hard core" however you want, but you are not Websters, you don't have a monopoly on deciding what is what. You also don't know anything about me, so how do you know we are in the same boat? Part of the reason why this AD program is mediocre is because the fans/donors/season ticket holders don't hold them accountable. We are not Kansas - despite the propaganda from the AD. Jank will be back for another year (at least) because this fan base has tolerated mediocrity in athletics for years (e.g., see the past 30 years!). You can call me not a fan if you like, I don't really care, but I refuse to allow an AD to treat me like an economic commodity then ask me for loyalty in return.

Just two more recruiting classes away from a competitive program! :lol:
Dude that's not my Quote . That's dutches post I was referring to him when I said I'll call your bluff .

You're right I don't know you
In regards to in the same boat I don't donate any longer
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:43 pm

.Image
One Trick Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm

I would argue that you are not a hard core fan if you let the AD treat you this way.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm

To be fair, fans like SMU92 and myself have pretty much only seen the worst of SMU's Athletic history.

Winless football seasons, the most extreme penalties ever handed out by the NCAA in both football and basketball, ridiculous admissions policies, the cancellation of rivalries that existed for decades, ridiculous conference affiliations, incompetent Athletic Directors, the dismantling of storied Track and Field and Swimming and Diving programs, etc. etc.

Those who graduated in the 90s and supported SMU throughout had been patient. Amazingly, SMU finally got something right -a brief span of 2.5 years where going to an SMU sporting event actually felt like big-time college athletics.

And then it was gone - as quickly as it arrived. And, sadly, it was our own athletic department that helped to destroy that atmosphere.

Some of you who have been around for a while longer have a different version of SMU athletics history that includes big-time bowl games, Heisman finalists, NCAA tournament victories, national relevancy, intense rivalries with storied programs, etc. etc.

Those of us who started with SMU in the 90s have none of that. Perhaps our patience is a little thinner than yours.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball