PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kaden Archie

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kaden Archie

Postby 78pony » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:43 pm

The Falcon wrote:
RI Stang wrote:JasonB, it's a FACT - both wanted to come here and Jank said no. Kaden was willing to pay his own way for the Spring. Jank said no. It's a fact. Sorry.

RI - Not disputing what you said, but do you have any facts to back up your - "It's a fact."

1) How do you know they wanted to come here? I have heard that Kaden's mother wanted him
to come to SMU but I've never heard him say that.

2) How do you know that Jank said "No" to their interest in our program.

3) As I have posted before- I know that in his initial recruitment that Liddell was interested in
SMU but then he went to Texas. As far as I know he is still at Texas and I haven't seen any
statements that say he is interested in transferring to SMU. Have you seen or heard any
statement to that effect?

I can appreciate what JasonB has said before - that neither of them would want to come to
SMU to sit on the bench because that is why they are wanting to leave their current schools.
I think they want to be promised that they can start at SMU. I don't know what Jank's position on this might be, but we certainly could use an upgrade.

At this point, you would think we would take either one if they had an interest or both if they
wanted to come.

Falcon, please invest the money (oops, zero for a limited time) and get on a board where you get facts from sources that do this 24/7 and have direct communications with real sources.
78pony
Heisman

Postby The Falcon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 pm

quote 78Pony
Falcon, please invest the money (oops, zero for a limited time) and get on a board where you get facts from sources that do this 24/7 and have direct communications with real sources.[/quote]

Does this mean that you don't think RI Pony has any real sources for his "fact."?

I am just curious as to what sources provided this fact and if it is factual. Thanks for the
investment advice though.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Pony81 wrote:Jank said no to Archie because Hunt doesn’t like him... showing Hunt respect and consideration for coming to SMU when Archie went to the frogs

MORE total, untrue BS.

Hunt and Archie have long since settled their differences. Hunt actually went to bat for Archie with Jank this time around.

..... another plug for for that free week thingy.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 pm

The Falcon wrote:quote 78Pony
Falcon, please invest the money (oops, zero for a limited time) and get on a board where you get facts from sources that do this 24/7 and have direct communications with real sources.

Does this mean that you don't think RI Pony has any real sources for his "fact."?

I am just curious as to what sources provided this fact and if it is factual. Thanks for the
investment advice though.[/quote]

You're right - we all just made it all up. Long Live Jank!
RI Stang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:20 am

Do we only have one scholarship left, or do we have 3?
JasonB

Postby RI Stang » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:16 am

I count 12 guys as of right now but at least four are question marks as to if they will be here next year or not (Cook, Ray, Douglas, White).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:42 pm

RI Stang wrote:I count 12 guys as of right now but at least four are question marks as to if they will be here next year or not (Cook, Ray, Douglas, White).

Not sure why you’d have White on that list of maybes but you can replace him with McMurray.Pure guesswork as to how many and who leave but I’d love to see Ray and Douglas’ spots (at the least) op :) en up.

But then the question remains: Does Jank replace them with his typical recruit? What gives anyone any confidence he’ll be able to bring in anyone worth a damn.

I’m far more concerned that Whitt grad transfers and Hunt leaves.

Chaggy and Mike are currently suitable reserves capable of some advancement over their remainng two seasons. I hope Young stays.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:03 pm

RI Stang wrote:I count 12 guys as of right now but at least four are question marks as to if they will be here next year or not (Cook, Ray, Douglas, White).

So if, right now, we only have 1 scholarship remaining... doesn't that really, really need to go to a top tier guard?
JasonB

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:But then the question remains: Does Jank replace them with his typical recruit? What gives anyone any confidence he’ll be able to bring in anyone worth a damn.

Bingo. Talent is filtering out of the program. Whether or not one thinks, generally, there is sufficient talent on this year's team, next year's team will have less. And the year after that will have less. And there's a mountain of empirical and anecdotal evidence to support the no-confidence vote.
PonyKai

Postby RI Stang » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm

JasonB wrote:

So if, right now, we only have 1 scholarship remaining... doesn't that really, really need to go to a top tier guard?

We aren't recruiting any "top tier" guards. If we actually want to compete, a few of those 12 have to be rotated out. Even if by some miracle Jank lands a top 200 guard, we still won't have the talent to finish top half of the AAC next year. And if Whitt or Hunt leave, we won't even be able to compete with Tulane.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Doesn't have to be a freshman -in fact-probably better if he had some JUCO or Division 1 experience-there are probably going to be 8-10 grad transfer PGs looking for spot like SMU with little competition for starting spot
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Stallion wrote:Doesn't have to be a freshman -in fact-probably better if he had some JUCO or Division 1 experience-there are probably going to be 8-10 grad transfer PGs looking for spot like SMU with little competition for starting spot

When was the last time we had a guard come in and contribute immediately as a transfer?
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:42 pm

RI Stang wrote:
JasonB wrote:

We aren't recruiting any "top tier" guards. If we actually want to compete, a few of those 12 have to be rotated out. Even if by some miracle Jank lands a top 200 guard, we still won't have the talent to finish top half of the AAC next year. And if Whitt or Hunt leave, we won't even be able to compete with Tulane.

I guess my point is that if you look at the players coming back with those 12 (Hunt, Douglas, White, Mike, Young, Ray, Ethan, Whitt, the three signees and the A&M kid), regardless of anything else the biggest hole that needs to be filled is a starting guard.

If you want to trade Douglas, Ray, whomever for the other interested transfers, sure. But with Douglas still playing, and Jank turning down the transfers, that decision obviously hasn't been made yet for whatever reason. Probably something ethical about not formally accepting someone to replace another player while that other player is still active. Anyway, for the one currently remaining scholarship, I am looking at next year's team.

Neither Hunt or Mike have shown that they have a consistent shot to be a 3. So a really competitive team is looking at Mike/Hunt/Ethan rotating at the 4-5 with some spot minutes from Young. And that would be fine to compete with good guard play. So at guard, you have Whitt and nothing right now at the 2/3. White is a backup. McBride and Cook are backups at best. JUCO takes one of those open spots. Even if you come up with some dream scenario where Hunt develops an outside shot and is your 3 with Mike and Chargios at the 4/5, I think the biggest hole is at that 2 guard position so that the JUCO can come off the bench. We need another player for next year to come in and start at the 2/3. Not landing that player is a major, major issue. A much bigger issue, IMHO, than not landing some of these transfers. I think that is where the focus of the discussion should be, that Jank hasn't been able to close that hole in the lineup, which should be very recruitable with no returning players standing in the way.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm

JasonB wrote:
Stallion wrote:Doesn't have to be a freshman -in fact-probably better if he had some JUCO or Division 1 experience-there are probably going to be 8-10 grad transfer PGs looking for spot like SMU with little competition for starting spot

When was the last time we had a guard come in and contribute immediately as a transfer?

Nic Moore, Nic Russell and McMurray
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Stallion wrote:
JasonB wrote:

Nic Moore, Nic Russell and McMurray

Didn’t all three of those players have to sit a year? I think he meant immediately eligible transfers, which, small sample size, but haven’t done as well over the last 6 years.
PonyKai

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball