PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kaden Archie

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kaden Archie

Postby smupony94 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:02 am

@JonRothstein
4m4 minutes ago
More
Sources: TCU transfer Kaden Archie has committed to UTEP. Massive get for Rodney Terry. Miners are loading up for a big run in 19-20.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:06 am

Meanwhile we’re solidly on the path to irrelevancy again
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 am

Is anyone shocked? I mean one could say that Archie and Hunt weren't going to get along but even still you think Jank could have found a way to get the two to work together. That's what a good coach can do.

Anyways, when's the firing date set because we all need to throw a party when this doofus and his cronies are gone!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Is anyone shocked? I mean one could say that Archie and Hunt weren't going to get along but even still you think Jank could have found a way to get the two to work together. That's what a good coach can do.

Anyways, when's the firing date set because we all need to throw a party when this doofus and his cronies are gone!

One could say that but one might be wrong. Apparently Hunt lobbied to get Archie here.
Kids just don't stay mad at each other forever. College helps with maturity....sometimes.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:37 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Is anyone shocked? I mean one could say that Archie and Hunt weren't going to get along but even still you think Jank could have found a way to get the two to work together. That's what a good coach can do.

One could say that but one might be wrong. Apparently Hunt lobbied to get Archie here.
Kids just don't stay mad at each other forever. College helps with maturity....sometimes.

If what you are saying is true and Hunt tried to get him here that either means:

a) Archie really really hates Hunt
b) Tankovich really really sucks at recruiting
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Archie wouldn't have made us competitive next year. Not saying that Jank will get a recruit that plays the 2/3 and provides a consistent shot... but that is what we need to be competitive.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:15 pm

JasonB wrote:Archie wouldn't have made us competitive next year. Not saying that Jank will get a recruit that plays the 2/3 and provides a consistent shot... but that is what we need to be competitive.

Ahhh. I see you are auditioning for the WDNWHA Committee.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Something seems to be missing in this discussion: Why would a Top 125 recruit go to UTEP when his original group included programs with much higher pedigree?
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Not every player's decision revolves around SMU. Not every player's decision revolves around Jank. Move on. If a kid picks UTEP, not going to say that I understand his decision, but so be it. Getting back to reaity for a second, just because he was a relatively highly rated recruit does not mean his high school talent translates to college. I could be wrong, but I believe the kid was not getting a lot of playing time at TCU.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:55 pm

mrydel wrote:
JasonB wrote:Archie wouldn't have made us competitive next year. Not saying that Jank will get a recruit that plays the 2/3 and provides a consistent shot... but that is what we need to be competitive.

Ahhh. I see you are auditioning for the WDNWHA Committee.

I've been denied a spot because I'm too much of a sunshiner :).
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am

Wild Mustang wrote:Not every player's decision revolves around SMU. Not every player's decision revolves around Jank. Move on. If a kid picks UTEP, not going to say that I understand his decision, but so be it. Getting back to reaity for a second, just because he was a relatively highly rated recruit does not mean his high school talent translates to college. I could be wrong, but I believe the kid was not getting a lot of playing time at TCU.

You sure tell a lot of people to “get back to reality” I got back there like you asked me to and I’m still waiting patiently for you answer my two simple questions - name one player the scholarship restrictions prevented Jank from getting? And please tell us what the dark cloud is that hangs over the program, other than Jank himself?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby RI Stang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 am

Understand what you're saying, but do you think Archie would help (i.e. better than what we have now)? I fail to see how it is an either/or - to me it's painfully obvious the answer is BOTH. We are so far away from a point where we should be turning kids like this away. I can't come up with a better explanation than Jank is trying to get fired at this point, nothing else is remotely logical.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:32 pm

RI Stang wrote:

Understand what you're saying, but do you think Archie would help (i.e. better than what we have now)? I fail to see how it is an either/or - to me it's painfully obvious the answer is BOTH. We are so far away from a point where we should be turning kids like this away. I can't come up with a better explanation than Jank is trying to get fired at this point, nothing else is remotely logical.

We only have one scholarship left, however, correct? After the season, maybe another one or two open up, but that is an unknown at this point.

Do you want Jank to fill up our remaining scholarship with a player who won't help us next year? Or do you want that scholarship held open for the next coach to fill? I'll take the latter...
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:46 pm

smupony94 wrote:@JonRothstein
4m4 minutes ago
More
Sources: TCU transfer Kaden Archie has committed to UTEP. Massive get for Rodney Terry. Miners are loading up for a big run in 19-20.

If it doesn't work out there, he could consider UNT following the Keith Frazier road to success. Not knocking this decision because UTEP has a pretty decent basketball tradition and does actually boast a National Championship which is more than we can say!
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:59 pm

JasonB wrote:We only have one scholarship left, however, correct? After the season, maybe another one or two open up, but that is an unknown at this point.

Do you want Jank to fill up our remaining scholarship with a player who won't help us next year? Or do you want that scholarship held open for the next coach to fill? I'll take the latter...

Unknown to you and I maybe, but should be pretty clear to the staff. Regardless, we didn't have to place that bet now - Archie was willing to pay his own way for the Spring, meaning no scholarship taken until next year and no restriction on adding another kid. Cross another excuse off the list...
RI Stang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball