PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU @ UConn Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU @ UConn Game Thread

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Tulsa could expose us Saturday night!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Arkpony wrote:Tulsa could expose us Saturday night!

LOL.... I’m just glad we don’t see ECU again.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:

Memphis did come back to beat ECU in Memphis last night but it certainly appears ECU responded to that blowout loss in Moody and has been a much improved team since that night!
Charleston Pony

Postby horsemanx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:26 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:

Memphis did come back to beat ECU in Memphis last night but it certainly appears ECU responded to that blowout loss in Moody and has been a much improved team since that night!

It could turn out to be a big win for NIT seeding!
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 am

LOL Yes.....

ECU= Quality Win!!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 am

I am an alum and want nothing but success for our team. Like everyone on ponyfans.com I have watched every game this season. I am extremely disappointed with the level of effort that Chagois and Mike are showing on game days. I admire Chagois spending time in the offseason getting in shape, but during the games he sure plays slow and lazy. Ethan looks more than a few steps slow and it seems like the guy is playing scared. Anyone can stand outside the 3-point line and jack up 3s. Yes Chagois has showed that he has range, but no consistency. We need him to step up. He showed flashes of brilliance last season. Not sure has happened this season, but I for one want a better effort. He seems to get into foul trouble way too often. Not all the blame goes to Chagois for his foul trouble as McMurray's lack of defense has led to Chagois and Mike getting unnecessary fouls. Last night was no exception. And as far as offensive production both Chagois and Mike are close to non-existent. I don't get it. Yes both have played one or two good games, but where is the consistency. Where were they last night? I cannot imagine how good our team could be if McMurray played some defense, Chagois and Mike stepped up on both sides of the ball. Hopefully the light goes on! Pony up!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am

I recognize that Jamar Young is a Freshman, has little game experience, needs to learn the college game, and maybe needs to get stronger in the weight room, but I would like to think that we could maybe get more production from Jamar Young than Isaha Mike and dare I say it, Ethan Chagois. I am not saying that Jamar Young at this point is his career is better than Mike or Chagois, but I am saying that if this is the level of production that we are getting from Mike and Chagois then maybe Jamar Young needs to get a chance for some more playing time. I am hoping that a light comes on for Mike and Chagois. We have all seen them both play well. We need more of Mike and Chagois playing with intention. I am rooting for all our Mustangs. Pony Up!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am

This team had a chance to make a statement last night and they didn't. They either have to win the next two, or the season is over. I'm not talking about NCAA tourney. That's long gone.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:33 am

this team ain't making the NIT. We consistently lose to bad teams.
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 am

Pony ^ wrote:this team ain't making the NIT. We consistently lose to bad teams.

have to disagree on that. season is still young but next 3 games will likely tell us all we need to know. Have to win 2 of 3
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:00 pm

When the season began, we knew we needed all of these things to be true to have any chance at post season play:

1. Foster needed to be healthy and at full strength by mid-season. In fairness to him, that was probably too much to ask. But it’s clear his body doesn’t do what his mind wants it to do. Foster last year would not have had 3 of his shots blocked in 1 game.

2. Whitt would have to improve and find his shot. He has succeeded.

3. Chagy would improve and become a solid 13-15 ppg, 6-7 rebounds. With his new body, he would fly down the court and be a presence. He’s not better this year.

4. McMurry would need to play some defense and be a leader. He’s a gunner and when he’s on, he’s deadly. But when he’s off, the team suffers and he doesn’t make those around him better.

5. I. Mike would be a force (sometimes). For the first 8-9 games, he had no lift. Lots of travel. Outmuscled by lesser foes. He’s probably where he should be, but he can’t help carry the team. He’s complimentary at best.

6. F. Hunt. After the 4th game I posted “he needs to start.” He is the only player that we can say “he’s the future.” I can see him becoming the leader midway through next year.

7. Douglas. We hoped for 10-12 solid improved minutes and play. He’s regressed. Not sure why, but he’s clearly not comfortable.

8. Dixon. He has played well but he’s not a difference maker.

9. Young. We won’t know until next year but I’m optimistic about him.

10. Rest are the rest.

So outside of Jimmy Buckets and Feron, the team has not risen because the individuals have not elevated their individual games (except for Foster given his injury).
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm

On the plus side, at least expectations for the program are still high when we are 2-1 in conference, lost at UConn and are declaring its time to cancel the season.
JasonB

Postby skyscraper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

We're likely five days away from being 2-3 in conference.
skyscraper

Postby horsemanx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Coolest thing about last night was seeing cheerleaders and a student band even though Connecticut is still on winter break.

I look forward to the day when we are a real basketball school and can have the same (even though we do charge as if we are...)
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Well said Ponyalaw90
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball