PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ira Terrell jersey honoring interview

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ira Terrell jersey honoring interview

Postby giacfsp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Sasser should be next.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:58 pm

I think Shasta Smothers from the women’s players should be next.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 pm

With our illustrious basketball history retiring any more jerseys would be approaching the Brad Davis level of the Mavericks.

We could at least, you know, win an NCAA tournament game first.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Agree that I.T. should have been honored before Koncak and Phillips should have been honored earlier as well. We are talking about guys who were standouts their entire careers at SMU. Nic Moore is next. There have been plenty of outstanding talents through the years, but this honor is for those who were top performers and leaders their entire careers.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm

If Ira waited 45 years then nobody on this board should be alive when Sasser gets in-I doubt he gets in--ever. He's not on the same level as those in the Club
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Stallion wrote:If Ira waited 45 years then nobody on this board should be alive when Sasser gets in-I doubt he gets in--ever. He's not on the same level as those in the Club

Agree. Same for Markus who was mentioned earlier. If we want to go down that path, why not Butch Moore or Billy Allen or Carl Wright or Larry Davis...it's a long list of talented guys who have played here but haven't been the dominant forces that Krebbs, Phillips and I.T. were. I even questioned Koncak at the time but do have to acknowledge he played against some great centers in his day.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Only other player I’d consider would be Nic.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 pm

And definitely Butch Moore.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:The people who honored Koncak before both IT and Gene Phillips should still be ashamed.

My time on campus overlapped both. They were great Mustangs on the court and great Mustangs off the court.

Agreed. It really does makes you wonder who vetted that decision and why a non-partisan grown-up didn't step up and say...No way Jon Koncak goes before 3-time SWC POY Gene Phillips or SWC POY Ira Terrell. Did Coach Doh have complete discretion on making this decision? It reeks of an outsider with zero sense of SMU's history. Ira Terrell grew up here in Dallas. He turned down a John Wooden UCLA offer to attend SMU. He clearly loves this school. Didn't that account for anything?

Stallion mentions Rick Bullock should have been there. I can name someone else, Bob Prewitt.

Anyway, as a little kid, IT was a hero of mine and I am so happy he finally received this recognition!
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Agree. Same for Markus who was mentioned earlier. If we want to go down that path, why not Butch Moore or Billy Allen or Carl Wright or Larry Davis...it's a long list of talented guys who have played here but haven't been the dominant forces that Krebbs, Phillips and I.T. were. I even questioned Koncak at the time but do have to acknowledge he played against some great centers in his day.

Just curios, is there anyone who ever saw Gene Phillips, Ira Terrell and Jon Koncak all play who would rank Konack above them?

I saw them all and always felt GP and IT were better.
SoCal_Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:31 pm

It's pretty simple. Koncak was an All-American, Olympic gold medalist, and number 5 NBA draft pick.

Not saying it is right, but you can see how some in the administration would have been starry eyed.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Killen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I only missed 3 practices during my 4 years. That's gotta count for something
Killen
Recruit

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Koncak will always be historically known for raising the bar in NBA salaries. That got him such recognition that I assume it filtered down to the ranks who made the decision. I have never understood the time it took for Gene Phillips to be recognized.

As a side note, Joe Klein (UA, Celtics,Bulls,et al) is a frequent guest here on a local radio talk show and he often speaks of his rivalry with Koncak as being very heated and difficult.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Going forward I think the honor should be reserved for all-Americans only.
mustangxc

Postby b_caesar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm

I think Rhonda Rompola is the next person who should be so honored in Moody, no question:

"She led the Mustangs to the postseason 13 times, including seven NCAA Tournament berths (1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2008), and captured five conference championships (1999, 2000, 2008, 2009 and 2013). She has guided her teams to 20 wins in a season nine times, including a program-record 24 wins in 2007-08. Rompola has coached 34 all-conference selections, one All-America award winner, three conference Players of the Year, two conference Defensive Players of the Year, and earned Coach of the Year accolades four times."
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball