PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Feron Tweets

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Feron Tweets

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:45 pm

mustangxc wrote:So explain to me how Houston, TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech are on track to make the NCAA tournament? How is UNT having a solid season? Are they all led by HOF coaches?

All of those schools have a recent history of athletic success. Their schools have been committed to athletics for a while. That helps.

SMU just decided it wanted to start being competitive in football one decade ago, in 2008. And in 2012 in basketball. It takes a significant investment in coaching and a program to build an image of wanting to compete in order to have a recognizable brand.

TCU invested in Fran, and then doubled down on Patterson.
K State was awful before it hired Snyder and made the investment.

In football, I would suggest we have done that. Made the JJ hire, then sprang on CM, and now on Dykes and his staff. We need someone to stick longer term but at least keep the investments up. If we roll a streak of consecutive bowl games and win a couple conference championships it will build the competitive brand.

In basketball, we made the investment in LB to raise the profile. Now Jank has had the opportunity to keep the profile high. The next coach needs to be a massive investment in order to re-raise the profile, otherwise we drop back.

Once the brand has been established, then you can get away with non-HOF coaches. Until then, it isn't going to happen. Because we spent 20 years as TCU before Fran, or K State before Snyder. It takes a while to rebuild your brand, but both of those schools have shown it can be done.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Not sure what it has to do with my post but I’ll respond.

Baylor has been to the NCAAs 7 times in 11 years.

Tech has a long history in the tourney too. TCU has come on in huge strides also.

They all play in the Big 12. Easier to recruit to and better funded.

UNT... if we stayed in CUSA when all the good teams left we would make the NCAAs once in a while too.

Oh, and none of them has implemented a pogrom against their loyal fanbases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:09 pm

[quote="One Trick Pony" That said if you wanna play you gotta pay . And yes you need a recruiter[/quote]

since my first respones seems to have been deleted I will repost.
I agree with what you say. I also think that those who paid up for the program this year must feel like they ordered chateaubriand and were served dog meat based on this years schedule and results.
redpony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:35 pm

redpony wrote:[quote="One Trick Pony" That said if you wanna play you gotta pay . And yes you need a recruiter

I agree with what you say. I also think that those who paid up for the program this year must feel like they ordered chateaubriand and were served dog meat based on this years schedule and results.[/quote]
Yeah they got boned but to hear it from the horse's mouth they want to serve .
One Trick Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:Not sure what it has to do with my post but I’ll respond.

Tech has a long history in the tourney too. TCU has come on in huge strides also.

Lifetime NCAA Tournament Records:

SMU 10-14
Baylor 13-13
Texas Tech 11-17
TCU 5-8

Connecticut 59-30
Cincy 46-31
Houston 27-25
Memphis 34-26
Temple 33-32
Tulsa 12-16
Wichita State 17-15

Texas BB has been somewhat abysmal over these past 30 years. The opportunity is there for the taking. SMU checks almost all the boxes.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:49 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
redpony wrote:[quote="One Trick Pony" That said if you wanna play you gotta pay . And yes you need a recruiter

I agree with what you say. I also think that those who paid up for the program this year must feel like they ordered chateaubriand and were served dog meat based on this years schedule and results.

Anyone who thought that they were getting chateaubriand was not paying attention to the last 18 months.

I like the fact that Feron stood up for his team and his coach. Good for him.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:53 pm

JasonB wrote:"As an SMU alum, let me tell you why your friends suck, and why your other friends are going to leave the program."

If having a little class makes you a snowflake, then fine, call me a snowflake.

If Feron was walking around after the game and said that comment, would you really beat him down like that? I'd hope that you would just appreciate the kid for sticking up for his coach and his school and let it go.

So you think HoopmanX's response was inappropriate? That is what '11 and I were responding to.

I say good for Hoop for challenging him (in a respectful way, of course).
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Well apparently everyone thinks somebody else has Posted something due to the quote malfeasance issue.

Lol
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:57 pm

PonyTime wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

Anyone who thought that they were getting chateaubriand was not paying attention to the last 18 months.

I like the fact that Feron stood up for his team and his coach. Good for him.
How am I responsible for this .
I demand an apology lol
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:41 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:Not sure what it has to do with my post but I’ll respond.

Lifetime NCAA Tournament Records:

SMU 10-14
Baylor 13-13
Texas Tech 11-17
TCU 5-8

Connecticut 59-30
Cincy 46-31
Houston 27-25
Memphis 34-26
Temple 33-32
Tulsa 12-16
Wichita State 17-15

Texas BB has been somewhat abysmal over these past 30 years. The opportunity is there for the taking. SMU checks almost all the boxes.

Good post. Let's face it...SWC bball was a mediocre product for years so the AAC is an opportunity for SMU to compete at a higher level and it will obviously not be easy. Too much bball history with too many of our conference mates and those numbers you posted suggest none of those schools are going to accept mediocre results. Will SMU? We have for the majority of the time I've followed this program, with a few years of exceptional teams that could just not be sustained for a variety of reasons.
Charleston Pony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Are people actually bothered by Hoop's response? Seems like a lot of needless pearl clutching if you are.
No one made Feron tweet. He put himself out there by bringing up the issue.
I'm more fascinated that the players are aware of the #FireJank movement.
skyscraper

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:03 pm

skyscraper wrote:Are people actually bothered by Hoop's response? Seems like a lot of needless pearl clutching if you are.

Not bothered by it but there is no way Feron can respond to it, so it seems a little silly.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:30 pm

JasonB wrote:
mustangxc wrote:So explain to me how Houston, TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech are on track to make the NCAA tournament? How is UNT having a solid season? Are they all led by HOF coaches?

All of those schools have a recent history of athletic success. Their schools have been committed to athletics for a while. That helps.

SMU just decided it wanted to start being competitive in football one decade ago, in 2008. And in 2012 in basketball. It takes a significant investment in coaching and a program to build an image of wanting to compete in order to have a recognizable brand.

TCU invested in Fran, and then doubled down on Patterson.
K State was awful before it hired Snyder and made the investment.

In football, I would suggest we have done that. Made the JJ hire, then sprang on CM, and now on Dykes and his staff. We need someone to stick longer term but at least keep the investments up. If we roll a streak of consecutive bowl games and win a couple conference championships it will build the competitive brand.

In basketball, we made the investment in LB to raise the profile. Now Jank has had the opportunity to keep the profile high. The next coach needs to be a massive investment in order to re-raise the profile, otherwise we drop back.

Once the brand has been established, then you can get away with non-HOF coaches. Until then, it isn't going to happen. Because we spent 20 years as TCU before Fran, or K State before Snyder. It takes a while to rebuild your brand, but both of those schools have shown it can be done.

Baylor was worse than SMU when Dave Bliss arrived and much worse than SMU when Scott Drew arrived. TCU had been terrible since the Billy Tubbs NCAA tournament appearance about 20 years ago. Houston after Phi Slamma Jamma had been good but never great prior to Sampson. Texas Tech had the Bob Knight years and then nothing for a long time. If you are referencing other sports, well SMU has had success in soccer, equestrian, track, and swimming. Other sports are unrelated to our ability to succeed in football and basketball. However, we do have incompetent leadership as evidenced by the re-seat.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
skyscraper wrote:Are people actually bothered by Hoop's response? Seems like a lot of needless pearl clutching if you are.

Not bothered by it but there is no way Feron can respond to it, so it seems a little silly.

I’m bothered by it because it undermines the loyalty a player owes his coach, the loyalty Feron is rightly displaying. Ok message, arguably, but entirely wrong forum for delivering it.
ponyboy

Postby Wild Mustang » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Happy to see Feron back his coach. This says something about Feron. This says a lot about Jank. This says a lot about Jank and his relationship with his players. Respect. The fact that Jank and our team even stayed within striking distance late into the game with Cinci was amazing. This says a lot about the guys on our team. It was an ugly game against Cinci and SMU did not play perfect, far from it, hard to watch at times, but SMU had chances to win the game. Once again SMU was playing with a very short bench and foul trouble. I really am looking forward to the day when Jank gets the opportunity to coach SMU with a full roster. Support our team. Support our coach. Pony up!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball