PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Silver Linings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Silver Linings

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Hopefully we only have to listen to nine more post game press conferences and nine more tv broadcasts where basically the only thing discussed about SMU Basketball is sanctions, injuries and not being able to practice. But when the leader of the program ONLY brings up these talking points with anyone who will listen it becomes the identity of the program. That is where we are. SMU Basketball is one big pile of excuses constantly spewed by the leader. It is pathetic I just want it to end now so I can get back to being a fan again.

LA,

How excited are you about the Mavericks?

If SMU retains jank, will that impact how much you support the team next year?

The Mavs have been down for awhile, I'm sure that helped us with some casual fans in Dallas. Going forward, maybe not as much.

I’ve never been a fan of Donnie. His history of drafting since taking over in the mid 2000s is awful and he has never been able to land a big fish free agent in almost 15 years. Luka is really good, and has the potential to be great but Donnie could have gotten him without giving up next year’s first. I’m not sold on KP though. Donnie will have a lot of cap money this off-season so we will see. If we had a better GM I’d be more optimistic.

As for Jank, evidence shows he is not major college b-ball head coach. I think Miller and company know that. Outside of the very small group of Jank loyalist, I believe everyone knows a change needs to be made next month. But I have no clue if that will happen. This is a very dangerous time for the program. We have to get this right. To answer your question, I will always support the program and our players. Watching the team play right now is very difficult because I know losing is the best thing for the future. We are in the worst position to be in as a fan. It sucks.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Not sure why people call injuries, a short bench, and recruiting sanctions "excuses". This will never make since to me. People act like SMU should be ranked regardless. Name another program that has been hit with similar injuries and recruiting sanctions over the past few years. No one can because no other program has been hit so hard. We all want a better product on the floor. We all support our program. We all want good things for our players. No one is an apologist for accepting the unfortunate reality that we have endured over the past couple of seasons. SMU was hit hard. Next season we will hopefully have room to breathe and hopefully build our program back what we all want. Pony up!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Not sure why people call injuries, a short bench, and recruiting sanctions "excuses". This will never make since to me. People act like SMU should be ranked regardless. Name another program that has been hit with similar injuries and recruiting sanctions over the past few years. No one can because no other program has been hit so hard. We all want a better product on the floor. We all support our program. We all want good things for our players. No one is an apologist for accepting the unfortunate reality that we have endured over the past couple of seasons. SMU was hit hard. Next season we will hopefully have room to breathe and hopefully build our program back what we all want. Pony up!

Louisville.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Not sure why people call injuries, a short bench, and recruiting sanctions "excuses". This will never make since to me. People act like SMU should be ranked regardless. Name another program that has been hit with similar injuries and recruiting sanctions over the past few years. No one can because no other program has been hit so hard. We all want a better product on the floor. We all support our program. We all want good things for our players. No one is an apologist for accepting the unfortunate reality that we have endured over the past couple of seasons. SMU was hit hard. Next season we will hopefully have room to breathe and hopefully build our program back what we all want. Pony up!

For the tenth time. No team plays the number 11, 12 and 13 scholarship guys on their roster except in garbage time. The issue is Jank’s number 7, 8 & 9 guys who aren’t good enough and/or ready to play at this level. It is pretty simple. Also, Jank ran off Akoy for one of the current guys who can’t get on the floor. We win one maybe two of our last three with Akoy giving us 10-12 minutes. But keep preaching wild man. Someone might be buying your excuses.

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm

I'll play this game. Let's see. Baylor.

Improper Payments to Players - check
Drug Use - check
Recruiting Violations - check
Coaches telling players to lie to NCAA - check
oh yes, add Players Murdering players - check

Post season ban, probation, recruiting restrictions, no non-conference games, all of the top players transferred out.

Enter Scott Drew. Presto. 7 NCAA Tourney appearances and 3 NITs between 2008-2018, two elite Eights, many Sweet 16s.

All it took was hiring the right coach.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:55 pm

RJ Hampton, a national top 10 ten player from a Little Elm, whose dad was a star at SMU released his top 5 today which included TCU! with Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Memphis. From what I hear Jank didn’t even make a call. #PonyUp

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm

I sure hope for your sake there isn't somebody out there so actively campaigning against you. Let it go, man
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 pm

ponyboy wrote:I sure hope for your sake there isn't somebody out there so actively campaigning against you. Let it go, man

Actively campaigning against him? No. I simply posted that the son of one of our former players announced his top 5 today and our arch rival made the cut. We didn’t even attempt to try. These are facts. If you want to go after people who are actively campaigning against Jank there are plenty, and they are not hard to find.

Let it go? No. My school finally got competitive at a major sport in my lifetime and that is being crashed in record time right in front of our eyes. You did this same thing with June. The difference is we were really legit in hoops and still can be with the right guy in charge. That is why I will not let it go, and thankfully there are a lot of other people who won’t either.

LA_Mustang

Postby skyscraper » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 pm

ponyboy wrote:I sure hope for your sake there isn't somebody out there so actively campaigning against you. Let it go, man

Why are you such an apologist?
There needs to be some serious pressure applied or we're gonna be royally screwed next season.
skyscraper

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 pm

There is no chance that Hampton would ever consider SMU - none, ever. I don't care if the college president camped out on his front lawn. Why would he? So he could play in front of 2000 fans? So he could play in a rinky dink second rate conference? So he could be a team mate of William Douglas? Why would he waste his college career? SMU wasn't in his top 50, much less his top 5.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:24 pm

SMU just 2 years ago could offer RJ Hampton everything that all the other top programs could. Also, while June Jones definitely should have been fired following the ASU debacle, at least he built us into a perennial bowl team for 4 years. Jankovich inherited a top 25 team featuring 4-5 NBA players and crashed out in the first round. Then with 1-2 returning NBA players managed to go above .500 due to extensive injuries to those two players. Now, another season later we will be lucky to finish above .500. Do we at least have a bright future with tremendous recruiting to replenish the roster? NO! We are precipitously falling off a cliff. It is very obvious that this program will be in shambles winning 5-6 games if immediate action is not taken following the conclusion of the season.
mustangxc

Postby Pony81 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 am

Ummmm...Memphis is in a risky dink conference and TCU is hardly packing them in....
The kid will go to Duke, KU, or U.K.... I doubt SMU would ever have a chance against those 3 but we could get in the top five back in the day....
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:32 am

I give you credit for sticking with this bit, sure you are laughing as you type. No "room to breathe" next season, just a more crowded bench of guys in warm-ups who will not be able to see the floor because they are not D1 players. The fact that we aren't close to rock bottom yet should scare the hell out of you.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyKai » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 am

geezerdonk wrote:There is no chance that Hampton would ever consider SMU - none, ever. I don't care if the college president camped out on his front lawn. Why would he? So he could play in front of 2000 fans? So he could play in a rinky dink second rate conference? So he could be a team mate of William Douglas? Why would he waste his college career? SMU wasn't in his top 50, much less his top 5.

Troll better.
PonyKai

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 am

I have no idea how people still support Jank....
1) We have lost at home to USM and USF this season. On the USF, loss they won like 3 conference games last season and in one season, while missing their best guy versus us, either out coached, out schemed and out efforted us at Moody us or out talented us. Either way two programs trending in totally different directions. We are 9-5 at Moody this season. That is weak given our nonconference. Our best win at Moody is Tulsa. 2nd best ECU or Cornell? We are 2-5 at Moody against teams with winning records.... 2-5.
2) recruiting... how is our C-USA level recruiting class expected to help this team that is gonna finish between 7-10th in the AAC all of a sudden become top 3 when we lose McMurray, Foster, Dixon and likely Whitt. I guess all those other sub 250 guys have panned our for us in the past....
3) defense. We are sub 250 in the nation defensively... that is coaching and culture. Not much can be said because our last 3 losses we did enough offensively to win..
4) scholarship excuses. We only lost 2 schollies this season so only 2 off what everyone else has... as LA said 12th and 13th men play for NO ONE. Jank had 3 scholarships open all spring and summer to add three contributors. He gave one to a walk-on in Jahmar Young who should be redshirting and one to a kid who had one offer and was headed to prep school. He chose to give two scholarships to developmental players and now wants to conplain about having a short bench. He knew Ray wouldn’t play this season. This wasn’t sprung on Jank months ago it was his roster construction that gave us only 6-7 guys who can play at this level. He has 11 scholarships. If he had 13 why would you think he would take a more immediate contributor if he didn’t do that with scholarship 10 & 11.
5) Injuries. Everyone has them. You knew about Ray coming into the season. You either dump him or treat him like a transfer sitting out. Jarrey injury was bad luck but if you cant be above .500 losing one guy what does that say about rest of your roster construction... Baylor lost almost there whole team from last season, has multiple guys sitting out for transfer rules, and lost one of their top 2 guys around December and rallied and is in top 3 of B12. That is good coaching and adjustments.
6) playing 5 on 5, if you haven’t noticed SMU has a managers team that play games https://twitter.com/smu_managers/status ... 38528?s=21
They are ranked in top 5. Numerous college basketball players in that group... you couldnt put them in shorts and run 5 on 5...that would be to easy but that would negate the excuse. Not like Jon Ekey who played oversees in 2014 could fill in for an extra body... such a weak excuse.

7) best point we are 3-9 agaisnt teams with WINNING RECORDS. Not top 50 teams but winning records. Would be 3-10 but Bradley is .500. 2-5 against teams with winning records at Moody... how is this acceptable to anyone... but any Jank apologist just keep making excuses and we will obviously be top 3 next season because we have 13 players... of course that is the issue...just give Jank two more CJ whites and we will be 9-3 agaisnt teams with winning records. My mistake.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball