PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank has to go, right?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank has to go, right?

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:No-one should expect the school or any donor to pay to remove Jank.

What are you suggesting? He is rapidly killing this program.

That certainly appears to be the case. The point I was making is that these issues will never be resolved with the current leadership on a university level.

The reality is Jank is not bringing in high level talent, or it certainly appears that way. But, as is always the question, is he worse than any other coach we can afford to bring in? If the players like and respect him and he runs a good program, then maybe that's just where we are at. If we can't afford to buy him out AND pay a top caliber coach to come in, then I think there is a real question as to the utility of firing him, especially coming off sanctions, injuries, etc. (not saying I buy the excuse but the optics may not be ideal).

To be clear, I am not defending Jank. I am saying that this is an administrative decision that involves practicalities and financing and SMU has delegated significant financial decision making to Alumni. What is needed is a leader, and it is a leader which is lacking.

Let me summarize that for you.

“You can't make your coach to grow some balls when you can’t find your own.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball