PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Truth

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Truth

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Had kind of an autopsy at this point with a very knowledgeable buddy who is all over athletics and we arrived at a conclusion that was a little different than all this (deserved) direct Jank bashing.

SMU officials should be a case study for incompetence. When looking at the context of everything, Jank situations happen to almost every single program. Hardly anyone is immune. Whether it is a HCIW or a HC going stale, it just happens to everyone. The interesting part is SMU took this wonderful organic growth and excitement and just smothered it. They expedited our downfall in truly an impressive fashion. It's literally the Tommy boy scene with his pet sale (see https://youtu.be/c1EyN9xTK94 if confused) except they don't seem to understand what they've done. They've proactively destroyed Moody after reacting to its success. A success which was entirely inspite of them, if being honest. The minute they caught on to where the flames of fun were coming from they just brutally snuffed them out by being complete and utter morons. That above is a bit emotional but it is valid, but the true malpractice comes in the fact that these idiots are why we had sanctions. Not LB. It's been hashed over so no reason getting in to it, but Jank's excuses flow directly from Hart et al being absolute spineless loser idiots. I don't know how else to describe them in that regard. It's their fault and Jank leans so heavily on it that it's nauseating.

And this is what kills me. They have to keep Jank because they're the luckiest idiots of all time and Sonny Dykes fell in to their lap. Rick, Kurt and Co. will keep high fiving in an empty Moody because they fell rear end backwards in to the one actual good coach who thinks "Hey, living in Dallas while making a great living and coaching SMU is awesome. Low pressure and if I ever win 10 games I've done it." Football goes back up (how far, nobody knows) and the one sport SMU makes sense being good at just plummets to the core of the Earth.

The only hope is Miller just freaks out, but that guy is too smart to do so imo. He'll be calculated. I don't know, I could be wrong but I just do not see him being rash. Unless he's at the stage of his life where he just doesn't care anymore, but that is only confirmed if they clean house after this year.

There's my rant. What a joke. This just sucks.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
User avatar
ObeyMyDog
Varsity
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: The Truth

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Please show your work as to how and when and what concrete steps SMU should have taken to avoid the situation with Jank as it currently stands. K thx.

Also I like how Rick identifying, interviewing, and hiring Sonny while Cal pays 2M$ a year for him when every fan was throwing a shit-fit about it isn't "wow, obviously Sonny gave a good interview, had a plan to succeed, and whoever signed off on him deserves credit for seeing he's the right candidate for the job" to "fell in to their lap."
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6156
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Here and there.

Re: The Truth

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

PonyKai wrote:Please show your work as to how and when and what concrete steps SMU should have taken to avoid the situation with Jank as it currently stands. K thx.

Also I like how Rick identifying, interviewing, and hiring Sonny while Cal pays 2M$ a year for him when every fan was throwing a shit-fit about it isn't "wow, obviously Sonny gave a good interview, had a plan to succeed, and whoever signed off on him deserves credit for seeing he's the right candidate for the job" to "fell in to their lap."



You realize we agree? Jank happens because you have immense success and he was anointed the HCIW (fine) then he flames out. Difference between SMU and everyone else is utter denial of his complete failing. And as I said, Hart fell in to Dykes and should have a ceremony every morning thanking the universe that Dykes is working out.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
User avatar
ObeyMyDog
Varsity
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: The Truth

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 pm

The chances that Dykes is here because of Hart are slim. Hart’s tenure at SMU is one of “paint-by-the-numbers” where every number is a shade of beige.

There is no leadership. It’s not just Hart. It goes to the top.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
User avatar
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4271
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: The Truth

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 pm

How is Cal paying Sonny while he's employed at SMU? That's not how this works. Sounds cool though...
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: The Truth

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:10 pm

mtrout wrote:How is Cal paying Sonny while he's employed at SMU? That's not how this works. Sounds cool though...
Wow
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8747
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: The Truth

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:25 pm

So looking closer yall are right. He gets 6mil total from 2017, 2018, 2019 minus what TCU paid and we pay him. Are we paying him $1?

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2 ... ut-looming
Last edited by mtrout on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: The Truth

Postby lwjr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm

SMU can’t get out of their own way. Been like that for the 40 years I’ve followed them.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8158
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Midland, Texas

Re: The Truth

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:The chances that Dykes is here because of Hart are slim. Hart’s tenure at SMU is one of “paint-by-the-numbers” where every number is a shade of beige.

There is no leadership. It’s not just Hart. It goes to the top.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You’ve got to be [deleted] me. Every coach—save for women’s hoops, and no one cares about that—Hart has nailed. Including not only one, not two, but if you’re paying attention on 24/7 three separate football hires. AD isn’t perfect. Plenty of issues. But to try and poo poo Hart’s hires—which he’s frickin nailed since he got here—is asinine.

I’m looking forward to Hart cashiering the loser running the hoops program because he’s probably going to nail the hire.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6156
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Here and there.

Re: The Truth

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm

The simple truth is that it is not easy to succeed a legend and that's what Jank was asked to do. There's simply no comparing those two guys. How has Indiana done post Knight? Remember UNC's struggles immediately after Dean Smith retired? I wonder how Coach K's successor at Duke will fare? Those are blue blood programs that saw the "next guy" struggle. Not trying to defend Jank...just saying I don't know how many guys could have stepped into our sanctions and kept this team at the top of the AAC. I would like to think there are several who could have at least kept us more competitive than what this program has become, but now it remains to be seen who might be able to rebuild the mess we are in today.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 18972
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: The Truth

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm

CP, you can include Jim Boeheim on that list. Syracuse was nothing before him and will most likely seriously regress once he leaves.

PonyKai, I’m really hoping Hart makes amends for the reseat fiasco with a home run hire.

Natives are restless and it’s really the only way he can somewhat redeem himself.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: The Truth

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Pat Knight ring a bell? He lasted 3 1/3 years at Texas Tech after taking over after being HCIW. Then he totally flamed out at Lamar.
CoogFans.com
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: The Truth

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:The simple truth is that it is not easy to succeed a legend and that's what Jank was asked to do. There's simply no comparing those two guys. How has Indiana done post Knight? Remember UNC's struggles immediately after Dean Smith retired? I wonder how Coach K's successor at Duke will fare? Those are blue blood programs that saw the "next guy" struggle. Not trying to defend Jank...just saying I don't know how many guys could have stepped into our sanctions and kept this team at the top of the AAC. I would like to think there are several who could have at least kept us more competitive than what this program has become, but now it remains to be seen who might be able to rebuild the mess we are in today.


There arw still lots of folks up here who want to see Cronin fired and bring back the previous coach.
Terry Webster
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2994
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Fort Thomas, KY

The Truth

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm

PonyKai wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:The chances that Dykes is here because of Hart are slim. Hart’s tenure at SMU is one of “paint-by-the-numbers” where every number is a shade of beige.

There is no leadership. It’s not just Hart. It goes to the top.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You’ve got to be [deleted] me. Every coach—save for women’s hoops, and no one cares about that—Hart has nailed. Including not only one, not two, but if you’re paying attention on 24/7 three separate football hires. AD isn’t perfect. Plenty of issues. But to try and poo poo Hart’s hires—which he’s frickin nailed since he got here—is asinine.

I’m looking forward to Hart cashiering the loser running the hoops program because he’s probably going to nail the hire.


There is not a coach in this county who is here because Rick Hart is the AD.

Hiring coaches is the easy bit. Leading a program is the challenge. He isn’t up to it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
User avatar
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4271
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: The Truth

Postby ObeyMyDog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:21 am

Mustangsabu wrote:
PonyKai wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:The chances that Dykes is here because of Hart are slim. Hart’s tenure at SMU is one of “paint-by-the-numbers” where every number is a shade of beige.

There is no leadership. It’s not just Hart. It goes to the top.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You’ve got to be [deleted] me. Every coach—save for women’s hoops, and no one cares about that—Hart has nailed. Including not only one, not two, but if you’re paying attention on 24/7 three separate football hires. AD isn’t perfect. Plenty of issues. But to try and poo poo Hart’s hires—which he’s frickin nailed since he got here—is asinine.

I’m looking forward to Hart cashiering the loser running the hoops program because he’s probably going to nail the hire.


There is not a coach in this county who is here because Rick Hart is the AD.

Hiring coaches is the easy bit. Leading a program is the challenge. He isn’t up to it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Exactly.

This is the overall point of my post, but even a step further.... Hart's AD Dept has actively made so many stupid decisions which took anything authentic and fun about the rise of SMU basketball and killed it with an efficiency only truly out of touch people could have. Reseat included in that. Complete lack of understanding of what made the rise of the program real and fun (beyond winning, which obviously is the most important) and then what the state of the program actually was just before reseat.

Jank situations happen but you simply can't succeed long term with people running the AD who genuinely are puppets at best and hysterically incompetent at worst.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
User avatar
ObeyMyDog
Varsity
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Next

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests