PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Benefits Jank has previous coaches did not

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Benefits Jank has previous coaches did not

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am

Already outlined is how Jank is less successful than every previous coach outside of Larry Brown going back to Shumate. Here is a list of additional benefits and resources Jank has that the previous coaches (who were more successful) did not have.

1. Incredible BBall only practice facility in Crum
2. A beautiful newly renovated Moody
3. He was handed a winning program with 4 NBA players with incredible momentum and buzz
4. Much bigger athletic budget and engaged donor base
5. Much better TV deal with improved visibility of TV games
6. Better academic support with fewer restrictions. Any player a coach wants that qualifies can get in to SMU.
7. Easier than prior to get JUCOs at SMU because of transfer of credits
8. Better basketball conference in the AAC providing more visibility
9. Ability to not win conference and still make the NCAA tournament
10. Complete control over the basketball schedule to fill with powderpuff teams (that still beat us)
11. Ability to charter to recruit players
12. Larger budget for assistant coaches

These are all benefits the previous coaches at SMU did NOT have that Jank has. He is still performing worse than all of them.

Again, if you want to get in to sanctions and scholarship reductions... the man has barely used any official visits to recruit players, and his last 2 scholarships went to a walkon and a kid with no offers.
Last edited by PonyPlayer4 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Re: Benefits Jank has previous coaches did not

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 am

Don't forget the power of social media and fewer restrictions on texting recruits.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am

Fire Jank. Fire hart.
Pony ^

Postby redpony » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 am

Pony ^ wrote:Fire Jank. Fire hart.

and please don't waste any time in doing so.
redpony

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am

Wild Man will not like this thread....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyKai » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:20 am

Jank: "Sanctions have really hamstrung the program and I don't have the freedom to develop a full roster."

Also Jank: "I don't use anywhere near the allotted number of Official Visits, and I give my available scholarships to walk ons and players with no other D-1 offers."

Malfeasance, at best.
PonyKai

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Have all the Jank defenders been silenced? Is there no one else!?
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby No Quarter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm

This question may sound pretty ignorant but don't recall seeing anything on this board so will ask.

Is it fair compare Coach Jankovich to JJ in that both eschewed off campus recruiting?

But there may be more to it. My F-I-L who was a successful sales executive. He would have all his field reps come in to meet with him. He very rarely visited of them in their home territory and if he did, he drove. One very important account gained during his tenure was in a place he reached by automobile. (His two previous stops had been in smaller states).

And his brother, my wife's uncle, was a senior airline captain, and a good one, who never flew on a vacation.

Some people just don't like to get on an airplane. Perhaps it runs in some families.

"I don't use anywhere near the allotted number of Official Visits …"

Does Coach Jankovich not like to fly?

This is not a defense. Maybe part of any success that Jank had which led to his becoming HCIW was because there were a lot of prospects close to ISU. There are problems with the administration that a different coach won't / can't cure, i.e., tying the MOB to a less popular activity and the reseating. In a sense, those actions were lack of support same as any problem that might have existed at NTSU / UNT.

For those issues I hope the influence of Mr. Miller or other big supporters will lead to a change.

I started SMU in the fifties and it doesn't really compute that I will see anything like the LB era again. But it was fun watching the Doc Hayes era and pretty neat for a year or two when I got to see a lot of good SMU basketball on TV more recently.

I can only add my thanks for the memories which was the subject of another thread.

GO PONIES!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Have all the Jank defenders been silenced? Is there no one else!?

I pray the defenders of Jank are not within the Athletic Department. That is my fear, it is obvious he shouldn't be the coach of SMU a minute after our probable 1st round exit from the aac tournament.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Return to Basketball