PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tim Jankovich Resigns from UNT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tim Jankovich Resigns from UNT

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:35 am

Anyone know the back story here (UNT fans?). He was 25-29 in his previous two years at UNT (46% winning %) prior to resigning with years remaining on contract. What worries me the most is the record of the guy who had to come in and clean up after Jank...

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/mens-basketball/2007-04-08/jankovich-trying-bring-back-glory-days-illinois-stat

Lessons learned

Although much of Jankovich's coaching cachet stems from his work as an assistant, he's no stranger to his current role.

In 1993, Jankovich left Sutton's Oklahoma State staff to become head coach at North Texas. There, he was 53-57 before resigning with three years left on his contract. The school's impending move to the Big West Conference, then rated the 12th-best basketball league in the nation, convinced Jankovich his resource-poor program would be in over its head.

"All of my mentors said, 'You've got to go,' " he recalled. "It became, to me, an impossible situation."

It was. His unfortunate successor, Vic Trilli, went 20-87 the next four seasons.

Meanwhile, Jankovich headed to Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College for a two-season stint as head coach before joining Stallings at Vanderbilt.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Tim Jankovich Resigns from UNT

Postby PonyKai » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:39 am

I remember hearing (reading) it was actually issues with support from the AD. Actual support issues. Not that tin-foil hat crap Mex likes to peddle around these parts.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball