PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Should Jank be fired?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Should Jank be fired?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 104

Re: POLL: Should Jank be fired?

Postby PonyKai » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 am

smupony94 wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
smupony94 wrote:He sign a 4 year contract?

Not sure...but this was in the Daily Campus in April 2017....

"Jankovich not only exceeded expectations, but also made us forget about Brown. That’s how good of a season SMU had. ESPN’s Andy Katz reported in July that the school offered Jankovich a contract of at least five years in length. Bill Nichols of The Dallas Morning News later confirmed his contract was worth $1.75 million....But having proved to be a miracle worker, he deserves a raise, an extension – a new vote of confidence. SMU Athletic Director Rick Hart probably has something like this already in the works. According to a report from USA Today, SMU paid Brown approximately $2.8 million in his first year as head coach. Some of that came in the form of a bonus, meaning his annual salary was lower. But still, SMU was willing to pay almost $3 million to a 71-year-old coach known for not staying in one place for long. It only makes sense that Jankovich, a younger, proven winner, would be offered the same deal if not a better one."

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/s ... -jankovich

Holy [deleted], you are quoting Reece

I’m done responding

Game, set, match.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am

PonyKai wrote:Game, set, match.

but, but, but, how we gonna pay the $4-$6 million dollars to say bye bye to Jank? dats a lot of mullah for us....plus the mullah for the new "gonna be great in a couple of years" guy
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 am

69% say he should be fired

Nice
smupony94

Postby PonyKai » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
PonyKai wrote:Game, set, match.

but, but, but, how we gonna pay the $4-$6 million dollars to say bye bye to Jank? dats a lot of mullah for us....plus the mullah for the new "gonna be great in a couple of years" guy

No, just on the point that you're quoting Reece. Reading chemtrails would be a more persuasive source.
PonyKai

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37 pm

PonyKai wrote:No, just on the point that you're quoting Reece. Reading chemtrails would be a more persuasive source.

i don't even know who he is....but I would think the DMN & USAToday salary numbers mentioned in the article are not that far off? Do you think they are way far off? It is amazing and funny/sad how we go from GreatJank to HorribleJank so quickly. It''ll be some new GreatSomebody pretty soon until that honeymoon wears off too. Oh well....
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
PonyKai wrote:No, just on the point that you're quoting Reece. Reading chemtrails would be a more persuasive source.

i don't even know who he is....but I would think the DMN & USAToday salary numbers mentioned in the article are not that far off? Do you think they are way far off? It is amazing and funny/sad how we go from GreatJank to HorribleJank so quickly. It''ll be some new GreatSomebody pretty soon until that honeymoon wears off too. Oh well....

So quickly?? This has been in the works for almost two years now. Anyone following the program closely over the past two years knows this. It’s not just a few things going in the wrong direction, it is everything.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:04 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:So quickly?? This has been in the works for almost two years now.

Yes so quickly....we are told for the last 25 years I have followed the teams "oh just have patience and wait a couple of short years" and we'll be good again! So yes "almost two years" isn't that long.

In those "almost two years" Jank has gone from "he's great...lets sign him to an extension" to he's the worst. Some even said when Larry was on probation "hey Jank didnt lose a game while Larry was out...maybe we don't really need Larry....Jank is the man". Blah Blah Blah

Look don't get me wrong, I am not a Jank supporter....but the MerryGoRound still turns.....June was the Savior..then June was terrible......Larry was the Savior...then the NCAA said "oh no you dont"......Chad was the Savior....then bailed when he saw what was coming on schedule and someone offered retirement money...pretty much every SMU coach was gonna be great...until...well...until reality hit 2-3 years down the road and then Bennett, Cavan, Shumate, Dement, June all sucked...so yeah we'll fire Yank...and get a greener pasture rah rah rah be all warm and fuzzy for a couple of years....then the latest "we'll be great again" will suck or not suck enough and someone will hire him away.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:So quickly?? This has been in the works for almost two years now.

Yes so quickly....we are told for the last 25 years I have followed the teams "oh just have patience and wait a couple of short years" and we'll be good again! So yes "almost two years" isn't that long.

In those "almost two years" Jank has gone from "he's great...lets sign him to an extension" to he's the worst. Some even said when Larry was on probation "hey Jank didnt lose a game while Larry was out...maybe we don't really need Larry....Jank is the man". Blah Blah Blah

Look don't get me wrong, I am not a Jank supporter....but the MerryGoRound still turns.....June was the Savior..then June was terrible......Larry was the Savior...then the NCAA said "oh no you dont"......Chad was the Savior....then bailed when he saw what was coming on schedule and someone offered retirement money...pretty much every SMU coach was gonna be great...until...well...until reality hit 2-3 years down the road and then Bennett, Cavan, Shumate, Dement, June all sucked...so yeah we'll fire Yank...and get a greener pasture rah rah rah be all warm and fuzzy for a couple of years....then the latest "we'll be great again" will suck or not suck enough and someone will hire him away.

Jank was sitting pretty after the 30-5 season. Of course we all thought we had the right guy but for the reasons that have surfaced over the past two years it is blatantly obvious he isn’t the right guy. That is not going to change.

The erosion of talent is remarkable, and it has nothing to do with sanctions. Fan support is dwindling at an alarming rate because he doesn’t engage, inspire or try to reach the fanbase at all, which is a must for any major sport HC at SMU. The toughminded, family culture is completely gone and it is now a country club atmosphere up there. Lastly, the scheduling to pad the win total and the subsequent excuse making that occurred this season is beyond embarrassing. It makes the program look pathetic. His actions had nothing to do with promoting the program, or getting better or trying to make the tourney. His only motivation was to save his job.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:57 pm

How in the world are there 30 people against a firing? surely Hart is creating fake accounts again
Pony ^

Postby ObeyMyDog » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:07 pm

During the 30-5 season I had multiple people who know what they're talking about saying we were screwed. Jank has failed at recruiting from the very start. It was obvious that long ago.

He compares to June in some respects in terms of how it is coming to an end, but June could actually coach and ran a decent staff for a good while.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby PonyKai » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:During the 30-5 season I had multiple people who know what they're talking about saying we were screwed. Jank has failed at recruiting from the very start. It was obvious that long ago.

He compares to June in some respects in terms of how it is coming to an end, but June could actually coach and ran a decent staff for a good while.

What’s incredible is that recruiting should have been the one thing we shouldn’t have had to really worry about with Jank.
PonyKai

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 am

There is almost zero chance he gets fired, because SMU won't buy him out. Only if a David Miller or someone steps forward, checkbook in hand, will the conversation even start. Unless I'm going crazy, I remember someone here writing that after his first or second good year, an extension kicked in. Like it or not, it seems very likely he's back at least next year.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby SMUstang07 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 am

We keep losing yet the keep Jank percentage goes up. Am I in some kind of alternate universe??
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:27 am

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:There is almost zero chance he gets fired, because SMU won't buy him out. Only if a David Miller or someone steps forward, checkbook in hand, will the conversation even start. Unless I'm going crazy, I remember someone here writing that after his first or second good year, an extension kicked in. Like it or not, it seems very likely he's back at least next year.

It actually may cost more if they keep him versus fire him with the loss in ticket sales, plus butts in seats (concessions, parking, etc). I don't know ANYONE who plans on renewing season tickets if there isn't a coaching change.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:42 am

RI Stang wrote: It actually may cost more if they keep him.

Support for the program will bottom out... again. Got to move forward now.
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball