PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Should Jank be fired?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Should Jank be fired?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 104

Re: POLL: Should Jank be fired?

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 am

RI Stang wrote:
mtrout wrote:It will be whenever david miller gets his tax refund.

This made me laugh, needed that after another frustrating night. Although if David Miller gets tax refunds, I have lost all hope and will start studying up on Equestrian.

Well if he withholds more than he should have paid then yes he can get a tax refund. I only call this out because people need to care about tax paid not what’s refunded.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:51 pm

I see little reason to fire Jank until we are sure that we would be replacing him with something much much better. The reality is that SMU basketball will not return to anything like its LB-high unless we are challenging for the conference and NCAA trips. And by "challenging" I actually mean looking likely to achieve until significantly late in the season.

We are TENTH in the league. Probably 4 teams in the tourney and we are 5 games back of the fourth team. So the question is how do we get back there.

The answer?

Money.

So maybe it is not a question of how we get back there but when. Maybe it is more fiscally sensible to let Jank see out his contract and put the money saved by not having to buy him out into hiring a significant upgrade when his contract is up. There is always the chance that we will see improvement in the team in the meantime (maybe there was some validity to some of the excuses!), but the important thing is that the money (and it's not my money) goes to getting a better coach.

That is not the same as getting a better coach now.

I'm not writing the check. I say leave Jank where he is with some actual management from the AD (a new AD - fire Hart) and see where the chips fall. Then go get the right guy if things don't get better when you have the money. The fanbase is gone until this gets back to the heights, there is no risk of further damage.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:58 pm

another year of this garbage and the fan base will not care to return. Too many other options where people/schools actually care about the status of their program. i.e. TCwho in football, and now in bball. cougar high in bball and also great support for fball.

As has been said previously- if you can't run with the big dogs don't get off the porch.
Perhaps we would be more competitive in DII or even just drop bball completely- is table tennis an ncaa sport??
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Actually what fan base we have can absolutely be diluted further. If you look at the announced attendance figures vs actual butts in seats this season, it's easy to see that a lot of season tickets were sold that aren't being used, so next year we can expect those 5,000 announced crowds to dwindle to maybe 3,000-3,500 with only the 1,500 attending most games.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm

redpony wrote:another year of this garbage and the fan base will not care to return. Too many other options where people/schools actually care about the status of their program. i.e. TCwho in football, and now in bball. cougar high in bball and also great support for fball.

As has been said previously- if you can't run with the big dogs don't get off the porch.
Perhaps we would be more competitive in DII or even just drop bball completely- is table tennis an ncaa sport??

I hate to say it but Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth is the go to for table tennis. A few national championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Actually what fan base we have can absolutely be diluted further. If you look at the announced attendance figures vs actual butts in seats this season, it's easy to see that a lot of season tickets were sold that aren't being used, so next year we can expect those 5,000 announced crowds to dwindle to maybe 3,000-3,500 with only the 1,500 attending most games.

No, you are right. But when we get back up in the top 25 and to the NCAAs the crowds will eh back like nothing happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Fast Track with Tim Jankovich and Rich on facebook live was rocking 2 viewers tonight.
Last edited by mtrout on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I hate to say it but Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth is the go to for table tennis. A few national championships.

Anaesthesia and table tennis. Good match.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 pm

smupony94

Postby RI Stang » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
RI Stang wrote:
mtrout wrote:It will be whenever david miller gets his tax refund.

This made me laugh, needed that after another frustrating night. Although if David Miller gets tax refunds, I have lost all hope and will start studying up on Equestrian.

Well if he withholds more than he should have paid then yes he can get a tax refund. I only call this out because people need to care about tax paid not what’s refunded.

Understood - my point was that I trust he's smart enough not to withhold more than he should have, otherwise I question the decision making and thus....more Jank.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby redpony » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 am

I guess we will know in about a month if this program will rise from the ashes or totally die.
redpony

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am

Did Hart create 18 fake PF accounts to vote no?
Pony ^

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:59 am

RI Stang wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
RI Stang wrote:

Understood - my point was that I trust he's smart enough not to withhold more than he should have, otherwise I question the decision making and thus....more Jank.

:lol: Gotcha
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLaw90 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 pm

I called SMU to let them know I would not be renewing my basketball tickets for 2019/2020. I will still make a contribution to keep my football seats. Not sure if others are doing this, but it has to weigh on the issue of Jank going forward.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:03 pm

I remember when the Redskins fired one coach and got Jim Zorn who was wholly unqualified for the job. Or the time the Capitals fired a name coach for Cassidy who had never coached an NHL or even AHL game in his life. In each case the players had no respect for the coach. The lesson there is don't leap unless you have a sure fire bang up replacement ready to sign. Otherwise, think how it would look if we went hat in hand from coach to coach and got no thank you's. And then we settle. That would be ten times worse than what we have now. Jank is not a world beater but has been operating under some severe restrictions. There are worse coaches out there than Jank. If you want Jank gone and don't care whether he's replaced by quality, that's just plain dumb. It may be that he simply needs a better recruiting assistant. He did fine with great players brought in by LB. And if we had one more quality player this season (like a healthy Jarray Foster), we'd probably have won five more games because our players would not be gassed at the end of the game.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball