PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Town Hall Q&A

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Town Hall Q&A

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 am

dcpony wrote:
Blunt Pony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Over a 5 yr stretch, we were top 5 in winning percentage and total wins. Constant top 25 squad, sold out arena. That's big business college hoops, Whether you want to admit to it or not

So what are your thoughts on putting out a trash OOC schedule the year after asking your fanbase to blindly bid on seats? As someone who did play the re-seat game, I felt like that was kind of a kick in the nuts.

Generally speaking, why is it so difficult for SMU to pull off anything resembling sustained mediocre competence in athletics administration for revenue sports? I'm talking about all facets of the operation besides wins and losses.

That five -year stretch with LB was better than mediocre but then it was back to the [deleted] show more or less after he left.

Think groundhog scared of shadow. Still far too many trying to right perceived wrongs around DP as if that will be forgotten in the collective conscious of the college sports world. Forever, we were not on even playing field and self inflicting wounds.

At some point, if we are to maintain success, it'll be bc we embrace who we actually are, be ok w it, and then lawyer the eff up and go to war.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sacco » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:36 am

Preach.
Sacco
Scout Team

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:51 am

At some point, if we are to maintain success, it'll be bc we embrace who we actually are, be ok w it, and then lawyer the eff up and go to war. "Quote"

Exactly . I'm drawn to the black sheep
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 am

we should have lawyered up over 20 years ago. There was a group willing to pay for the legal part of fighting the ncaa and the dp and the admin. told them to shove it.
redpony

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am

Arkpony wrote:SMU cannot sustain success in sports.

Truer words have never been spoken !! Incredible incompetence and , in many cases lack of interest by Admins
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby okcponyfan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:40 am

What do you think our record would be with Bruno and Barefield this year?

Bruno is averaging 14.5 and 10.7
Barefield is averaging 16 points and shooting 40% from 3
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 am

Gruffalo wrote:Any idea on the probability foster gets a 5th yr if he isn’t able to return this year?

He needs to get healthy, leave, get paid somewhere and prosper. He's done at SMU
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:57 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Are we recruiting any 2020 HS players of note? As ridiculous as it sounds, I get the impression Jank has completely shutdown HS recruiting.

I'm sure they are, just no one cares anymore bc we know they won't have legit offers. Apathy is worse than losing
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:59 am

ponyup123456 wrote:As a student, there's always going to be a small number that just like basketball(myself) and go to every game they can. To fill up the rest of the student sections, there needs to be better OOC games and then just winning. A lot of kids I know who aren't huge basketball fans go until we become noncompetitive like this whole season and the second half of last year. Last years USC game was packed and loud because kids(especially from CA) know USC and are excited by big name schools, especially when we win or are close. The first 8 games of the year were schools I legitimately had never heard of, which is very hard to get excited for especially when we lose to them. Our only really big game was, which was the night before finals started.
Jank also has zero social media or on campus presence, which are both incredibly easy and effective. He could take 20 minutes to go eat at a dining hall or stop in at a big lecture class and get kids a little excited about the season.

Amen
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:02 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Are you still of the majority opinion William Douglas is a bust and needs to either stay in his rightful spot on the bench or be moved on?

I'm of the opinion only 4 or 5 kids need to stay. Hunt, Mike, jasey, chargois are givens, the rest not so much, unless Whitt can be convinced to return
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:05 pm

edwa wrote:How do u know whitt is gone? his friends that i know havent mentioned anything.

Cause he's not been quiet about the possibility and staff even mentioned it early in year. That said, other than a bunch of us, it's fallen on deaf ears, but it's coming barring something unforeseen
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Dang I like Jimmy, he can't shoot a 3 but he's definitely great everything else. I wish him the best. I'm hoping if the admin can get a new coach in quick that maybe he would stay if it's a good enough name.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 pm

okcponyfan wrote:What do you think our record would be with Bruno and Barefield this year?

Bruno is averaging 14.5 and 10.7
Barefield is averaging 16 points and shooting 40% from 3

Well, I think Bruno would have caught us up in the FBI probe lol. Larry handed kid to Turgeon bc Jank lobbied for job during LB contract negotiations. Both Bruno and de sousa have same handler. Funny how one went to LBs protege in Turgeon and the other to his boy, Self.

Larry hated Sed and he didn't fit in personally w team. Wouldn't have worked out no matter what.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Who are the top 3-5 recruits who Jank screwed up that we will regret not getting?

Your order of their potential:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby smupony94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Jalen Harris
Timme
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball