PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Town Hall Q&A

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Town Hall Q&A

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Who has questions?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Town Hall Q&A

Postby Sacco » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Best guess on how much longer Jankovich will be coach?

What coach candidates would be interested in taking the helm?
Sacco
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 pm

1) assuming jank leaves, how much should SMU spend on its next HC and how much do you expect them to spend.

2) odds McBlunt returns / odds Whitt returns

3) your thoughts on what destroyed student support and what you’d do the fix it.

4) on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the Moody reseat?

5) do you think Hart should be fired?, do you think he will be fired?

6) you told us years ago jank was only a marginal bench coach at best. We have now witnessed this with our own eyes. But tell us, why is he so inept at recruiting?
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm

After Orsini hoops search and Hart's fball hires, this will be a low key affair whenever it does happen. I'd suspect they won't fire until they know they have something better. All Miller's call. Losing all but one or two more games, plus attrition of coaches or players could expedite, I'd think. For example, Whitt is gone, but staff hasn't quite wrapped their heads around it. If a kid like Hunt put his name in Portal etc. I'd love to say it's this year, but who knows, it's one man's decision.

At first glance, I'd make calls to these guys to get a feel for interest.

Buzz
Musselman
Jans
Forbes
Grant
John Lucas
Wes Miller
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 pm

I know you had reservations about Jank when he was hired. Are you surprised at some of his shortcomings while here, and, if so, why do you think he's fallen short in those ways?
PonyKai

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong HoopX - At the beginning of the year Didn't you say everything was going to be fine? And that most folks here didn't have a clue? (which is probably true lol.)

After watching them in the Bahamas last year I knew it was gonna slide and I know nothing about basketball .
One Trick Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:58 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:1) assuming jank leaves, how much should SMU spend on its next HC and how much do you expect them to spend.

2) odds McBlunt returns / odds Whitt returns

3) your thoughts on what destroyed student support and what you’d do the fix it.

4) on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the Moody reseat?

5) do you think Hart should be fired?, do you think he will be fired?

6) you told us years ago jank was only a marginal bench coach at best. We have now witnessed this with our own eyes. But tell us, why is he so inept at recruiting?

1) when it goes down, I doubt SMU is shy about spending. P5 considerations add to need to spend on impact hire. Guys like Buzz cost, guys like Jans don't. Either way, staff needs a big budget

2) I don't see either back, as of now

3) SMU requires a coach that nurtures student body participation. LB did donuts for kids in line, went to chapter meetings. Jank does nothing. Get Greeks more vested in mob area and get rid of any pts system that rewards dweebs w Tix, cause they watched ladies volleyball. Gameday presentation upgrade.

4) the reseat is the dumbest discussion on this board. They happen at every school that experiences success, entertains sponsors and big business. At every other school, long standing Tix holders get pissed and threaten to take their ball and run home. Some do, some don't, but the topic becomes irrelevant, if the product is worth it. Ours isn't, so reseat anger escalates. Just get good again, cause the program could use the revenue generated off reseat. This thing isn't sustainable if only Miller is paying bills

5) I don't know Hart, but he'd be wise to do all this under a veil of silence, no different than Sonny hire. His revenue and non revenue hires have been pretty good.

6) he's disinterested in high major recruitments and thinks he's a master of development. In his head, kids like young, Douglas, McBride are high majors after being taught by him. It's hubris and is the exact opposite of the way the industry, to a program, tries to recruit. High mids recruit high major. Mids recruit high mids etc. We're a high major recruiting low majors to low mids
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:07 pm

PonyKai wrote:I know you had reservations about Jank when he was hired. Are you surprised at some of his shortcomings while here, and, if so, why do you think he's fallen short in those ways?

His shortcomings as we're told to me by multiple staffers in the MVC, at the time if his hiring, that he ran a very loose ship. Didn't have a ton of respect from the players, and was a very average bench coach. That said, he was regarded as a good recruiter, and maybe he was for that level. Not sure. What I'd hoped was that his apprenticing under LB would have sharpened his gameday saw. It hasn't.

What we're looking at is a guy that thinks he's a great coach and developer of talent but clearly isn't. He's a lazy lazy recruiter that starts w a very low bar. He doesn't want to compete for kids. He wants those that are easy, so he can groom them. That's so flawed, I don't even know what to say other than delusional
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Jock sniffer
One Trick Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:18 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong HoopX - At the beginning of the year Didn't you say everything was going to be fine? And that most folks here didn't have a clue? (which is probably true lol.)

After watching them in the Bahamas last year I knew it was gonna slide and I know nothing about basketball .

Not sure I said it was going to be fine, as much as we had to let it play itself out bc the shake/jarrey injuries in a vacuum provided great excuses.

Here's the thing, a program is an iceberg. The tip of the iceberg is the games. 90% of a program is happenings casual fans don't see. There are some massively diehard folks around here now who have access to that 90%. What we've seen behind the scenes is negligent, lacks effort and really crystallizes the way he feels about the position.

Being real, a few of us have had discussions if he's sick or needs therapy bc he comes off disinterested. Every kid worth a damn that we recruit, jank second guesses if we can get a kid that good, then pulls our guys back. It's a joke
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Will Jank’s staying or going have any effect on Whitt one way or he other or does he simply want to play for a contender? At one point I think it was mentioned he might not play at all..... is that true? Possible?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:23 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Will Jank’s staying or going have any effect on Whitt one way or he other or does he simply want to play for a contender? At one point I think it was mentioned he might not play at all..... is that true? Possible?

I have also heard that he may not play at all. He seems to have a fairly diverse set if interests outside of hoops. That said, I'm sure he could be swayed by a good program, should they come calling. Not seeing him at SMU as of now, unless we get a new coach who makes an empassioned plea
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Mortal Kombat or Donkey Kong?
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Well alrighty then .

In regards to the re-seat being one of the dumbest discussions here, I gotta call you on that. Perhaps for storied programs yes - SMU no. Give me $12000 for your $4500 seats and then maybe you may get them lmao.

I don't know how much you spend on basketball seats but for people that were going along for the free ride or had the cheap ones it never mattered to them. It mattered a lot to me. And every SMU alum I've met in Mansfield .
Yeah we lhave them in the ghetto .

I think the program would be in the exact same state without a re-seat.
lightings flames to people's faces is probably not a good idea for sub 500 teams . The truth is I'd still show up a couple times a year if they Lost them all . Stub hub
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Mortal Kombat or Donkey Kong?
Lol That made me laugh.

Most of the time money is not everything if you can do what you want
One Trick Pony

Next

Return to Basketball