PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Town Hall Q&A

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Town Hall Q&A

Postby ponyup123456 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:41 pm

As a student, there's always going to be a small number that just like basketball(myself) and go to every game they can. To fill up the rest of the student sections, there needs to be better OOC games and then just winning. A lot of kids I know who aren't huge basketball fans go until we become noncompetitive like this whole season and the second half of last year. Last years USC game was packed and loud because kids(especially from CA) know USC and are excited by big name schools, especially when we win or are close. The first 8 games of the year were schools I legitimately had never heard of, which is very hard to get excited for especially when we lose to them. Our only really big game was, which was the night before finals started.
Jank also has zero social media or on campus presence, which are both incredibly easy and effective. He could take 20 minutes to go eat at a dining hall or stop in at a big lecture class and get kids a little excited about the season.
ponyup123456

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 pm

ponyup123456 wrote:As a student, there's always going to be a small number that just like basketball(myself) and go to every game they can. To fill up the rest of the student sections, there needs to be better OOC games and then just winning. A lot of kids I know who aren't huge basketball fans go until we become noncompetitive like this whole season and the second half of last year. Last years USC game was packed and loud because kids(especially from CA) know USC and are excited by big name schools, especially when we win or are close. The first 8 games of the year were schools I legitimately had never heard of, which is very hard to get excited for especially when we lose to them. Our only really big game was, which was the night before finals started.
Jank also has zero social media or on campus presence, which are both incredibly easy and effective. He could take 20 minutes to go eat at a dining hall or stop in at a big lecture class and get kids a little excited about the season.

Thanks, and please continue to share your opinion on here. I always like to hear the student perspective.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Are you still of the majority opinion William Douglas is a bust and needs to either stay in his rightful spot on the bench or be moved on?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 pm

dcpony wrote:
Blunt Pony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Over a 5 yr stretch, we were top 5 in winning percentage and total wins. Constant top 25 squad, sold out arena. That's big business college hoops, Whether you want to admit to it or not

So what are your thoughts on putting out a trash OOC schedule the year after asking your fanbase to blindly bid on seats? As someone who did play the re-seat game, I felt like that was kind of a kick in the nuts.

Generally speaking, why is it so difficult for SMU to pull off anything resembling sustained mediocre competence in athletics administration for revenue sports? I'm talking about all facets of the operation besides wins and losses.

That five -year stretch with LB was better than mediocre but then it was back to the [deleted] show more or less after he left.

Because every time we get good, we think the school is what is a factor and not the coach. We let the coach go, hire on the cheap, and the whole thing goes downhill.
JasonB

Postby Arkpony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm

SMU cannot sustain success in sports.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 pm

He opened up to questions on the state of the program, mistakes Jank has made, and what the industry thinks of the SMU job/Jank, and all you folks can talk about is the reseat?

Pathetic.

Fire Jank.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby edwa » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 am

How do u know whitt is gone? his friends that i know havent mentioned anything.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby edwa » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:13 am

ponyup123456 wrote:As a student, there's always going to be a small number that just like basketball(myself) and go to every game they can. To fill up the rest of the student sections, there needs to be better OOC games and then just winning. A lot of kids I know who aren't huge basketball fans go until we become noncompetitive like this whole season and the second half of last year. Last years USC game was packed and loud because kids(especially from CA) know USC and are excited by big name schools, especially when we win or are close. The first 8 games of the year were schools I legitimately had never heard of, which is very hard to get excited for especially when we lose to them. Our only really big game was, which was the night before finals started.

also great to find another student, i got to most mob games, i've missed my first ever this year, because its depressing to go and i've been busy. I assume ur a freshman, im the british guy if u ever want to say hi.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 am

Also a great perspective for football’s OOC... Arkie St? NTCC? Boring.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 am

used to be 2 wrote:So you like the way they handled the reseat?

No, but I've seen way worse. At the core of it, good fans always pay more for worse seats. Ain't success a [deleted]
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:48 am

Pony ^ wrote:If I recall correctly, you were pretty high on Duncs as a recruiter. What happened?

Duncs is 3rd chair and is responsible for a majority of our signings. Now, I'm not sure his directive from Jank, but it seems to be prospecting kids Jank can get. Duncs gets kids, they are just low hanging fruit. I really don't know who to blame for that.

I personally feel Shawn Forrest is the biggest joker going. He doesn't really get kids and has put program in more awkward situations in 3 years than anyone I can remember.

KT has skins, but he's very hamstrung by Jank. Hell, all these guys are completely cut at knees by Janks lake of trail effort
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am

One Trick Pony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Over a 5 yr stretch, we were top 5 in winning percentage and total wins. Constant top 25 squad, sold out arena. That's big business college hoops, Whether you want to admit to it or not
Was.

And for all of those who priced me out I snuck into those empty seats PonyScott style the other day for 40 bucks. Bought a few beers and then got booted the last 4 minutes of the game because someone came in late .

Moved back to the seats I paid for on the floor for 40 bucks.

I've said it before but when it was big time like you say I couldn't believe I was at an SMU event - so yes I will admit it was great I don't think it'll ever be that way again . Glad I got a taste of the real thing as short lived as it was

Got love for you, but you're beaten down. I get it, tough 40 yr stretch, but I'm not ready to say goodbye and chalk great hoops up to nostalgia
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am

dcpony wrote:I believe Mussleman's sister lives in Dallas? Could help with getting him down here?

Muss is a big Dallas and SMU fan. His single momma sister lives right up the road. He'd have family here, so it's a big plus.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 am

Blunt Pony wrote:

So what are your thoughts on putting out a trash OOC schedule the year after asking your fanbase to blindly bid on seats? As someone who did play the re-seat game, I felt like that was kind of a kick in the nuts.

Huge kick in nuts. The schedule was and is abysmal. Fans deserved better, but Janks scared of his own shadow. I had a buddy that tried to schedule Creighton vs SMU for years, cause Bluejays were recruiting Texas. Jank always balked, cause he thought CenturyLink was hostile when he coached Ill St.

Being real, I know lots of coaches and none thought Jank would get this done, none. He's not a leader or someone who inspires. He does the least possible work to acquire kids and wants the easiest schedule to pad Ws. Joker
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am

hoopmanx wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
Was.

And for all of those who priced me out I snuck into those empty seats PonyScott style the other day for 40 bucks. Bought a few beers and then got booted the last 4 minutes of the game because someone came in late .

Moved back to the seats I paid for on the floor for 40 bucks.

I've said it before but when it was big time like you say I couldn't believe I was at an SMU event - so yes I will admit it was great I don't think it'll ever be that way again . Glad I got a taste of the real thing as short lived as it was

Got love for you, but you're beaten down. I get it, tough 40 yr stretch, but I'm not ready to say goodbye and chalk great hoops up to nostalgia
I'm not beat down . I'm a professional beach bum traveling the world far from it .

Whenever I'm wrong I'm the 1st to admit it . Let's see what happens the next 5 years .
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball