PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Basketball reportedly identified in FBI probe

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU Basketball reportedly identified in FBI probe

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:55 pm

mtrout wrote:
docabel wrote:That's exactly what Wade at LSU was caught saying on tape. The kid/agent/family was wanting a "one and done" type of bribe, but he was only offering the "2-3 year player" deal. It's almost like the NFL rookie slotting salary based on draft position.

What happened during the last FBI probe ~1yr ago? Virtually nothing?

Not to let the NCAA off the hook, but they have been asked by the FBI to not start their own investigations or levy sanctions until the FBI investigation is complete.

I think these cases might explain the weird Jank behavior with some recruits, but I don't think it lets him off the hook for not landing more of the 150-250 recruits.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Shetland wrote:None of these schools will bet in trouble. Will all fall on the individuals. Meanwhile the NCAA ruined Janks career with the most sanctions ever imposed.

The NCAA did not ruinJanks career. But that is the narrative Jank and his supporters want to create. He could have gone after better players. You can get top 150 to 200 type players without cheating. I believe it reported that Jank said in a public gathering that he was going after under recruited players with no P5 scholarships etc. That might be okay in the MVC or Sunbelt but not in the AAC. We’ll see what happens.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:08 pm

I don't think getting rid of one and dones is going to clean up the College BB cesspool. Only about 5 players per year would go into the NBA. Perhaps another 10 to the G string league. That leaves most of the top 250 out there. Shoe companies and boosters will still want to bribe the next in line players to come to their schools for the TV exposure. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, KU will still get the choicest cuts and everyone else will be scrambling for what's left. ACC and Big XII get next best morsels. Big Ten next, then SEC, then PAC-12, the everyone else. We simply need to out recruit teams in our conference which is not easy competing with schools that have no real academic restrictions (Cin., Temple, UCF, UH). Ultimately, we'll see how things shake out in the next couple years.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:41 pm

With how awfully we bumble around with the NCAA, it's almost unbelievable we are connected to a (once?) respected law school. We should be stock-piling case files and daring the NCAA to sanction is so we can spin around and sue them for selective enforcement.
SMUer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 pm

SMUer wrote:With how awfully we bumble around with the NCAA, it's almost unbelievable we are connected to a (once?) respected law school. We should be stock-piling case files and daring the NCAA to sanction is so we can spin around and sue them for selective enforcement.

SMUpony94 said we hired the wrong law firm to represent us during our latest BB sanctions.

ObeyMyDog said the Hart allowed Keith to go to his NCAA interview without any prep work or an attorney. His botched interview initiated our NCAA problems.

That level of incompetence is mind boggling.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
SMUer wrote:With how awfully we bumble around with the NCAA, it's almost unbelievable we are connected to a (once?) respected law school. We should be stock-piling case files and daring the NCAA to sanction is so we can spin around and sue them for selective enforcement.

SMUpony94 said we hired the wrong law firm to represent us during our latest BB sanctions.

ObeyMyDog said the Hart allowed Keith to go to his NCAA interview without any prep work or an attorney. His botched interview initiated our NCAA problems.

Larry’s testimony didn’t help either
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mtrout » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 pm

We’re doing sports wrong.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:00 pm

PonySnob wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

Larry’s testimony didn’t help either

Did LB have an attorney in the room with him when he misspoke?
SoCal_Pony

Postby mtrout » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 pm

The rowing team has attorneys
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
mtrout wrote:We may be in last place but at least we run a clean program.

Give me first place and an extremely dirty program all damn day

This times 1,000. Every single ranked team cheats - every single one.
gostangs

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:

How Hart wasn't fired for his handling of that is a mystery.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

mtrout wrote:The rowing team has attorneys

Yes - we should be hiring the Rowing Team's attorneys! Title IX will end up costing SMU even more!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 am

This is an interesting reflection of how our society is evolving.

In both sports and politics, it seems as though you have a subset of the population who believes that you should always try and play by the rules - winning is important, but so is how you play the game.

We have another subset who believes that everyone else is cheating, and comes to the conclusion that not only are you justified in cheating, but if you aren't cheating then you aren't really trying to win.

The way I was raised makes it impossible for me to join the latter camp. But I think that sticks me into the minority of today's society. I'm not sure what the end result of that is.
JasonB

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:21 am

JasonB wrote:This is an interesting reflection of how our society is evolving.

In both sports and politics, it seems as though you have a subset of the population who believes that you should always try and play by the rules - winning is important, but so is how you play the game.

We have another subset who believes that everyone else is cheating, and comes to the conclusion that not only are you justified in cheating, but if you aren't cheating then you aren't really trying to win.

The way I was raised makes it impossible for me to join the latter camp. But I think that sticks me into the minority of today's society. I'm not sure what the end result of that is.

Jason -
Good for you ! You were raised the same way I was. And , yes , we are definitely in the minority.
I had a hard time being real happy with SMU football in the early 80's when everyone knew that we
were buying players , but I was happy to pony up 2500 in advance for 5 yr's worth of season tickets
when we re-started the FB program because I was told that we would cheat no more.

The end result for you should be that you feel good about the way you are living your life, and if
you have a higher power, you know that you will be rewarded at the end of the line. Sorry if I seem
"preachy", but I guess that goes with the territory when you reach your 7th decade on this planet. :D
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am

I think there is still a gray area where we can win enough to qualify for the NCAA tournament and NIT regularly without cheating. Every now and then, we should have enough upperclassmen to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. That is what I expect.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball