PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Tourney

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am

Zman89 wrote:It would be nice if the AAC tourney would be better attended crowds are very sparse.


I’ve been to the two in Hartford and I agree. Unless the home team is playing the arena is always less than half full. The AAC seems to think that a location central to a group of schools will improve the situation. That’s a step in the right direction.

I think they could do better though.

Change the weekend tourney to the top four only. Play all other games at the home court of the higher seeded team. It would spread the tourney out to a full week but it would create both more interest and reward the regular season results.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5723
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby PonySnob » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 am

It’ll be interesting to see what the attendance is like for the AAC tournament the next three years over in Fort Worth.

Image
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10994
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby mrydel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:40 am

Selfishly wish they would centralize it more and have it in North Little Rock. We have an arena that has hosted NCAA tournament games and it would sure be convenient for me.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 30963
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby Arkpony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am

mrydel wrote:Selfishly wish they would centralize it more and have it in North Little Rock. We have an arena that has hosted NCAA tournament games and it would sure be convenient for me.

I second that!!
Long live Inez Perez!
User avatar
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Little Rock, AR USA

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 am

Ft Worth might be the most poorly attended event in the AAC tourney's short history. Even if SMU had a team that could compete for the championship, you know we wouldn't bring many fans and this location is about as far as it could be away from the bulk of AAC schools. This decision baffles me and will not be a good look for our conference.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 18905
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Ft Worth might be the most poorly attended event in the AAC tourney's short history. Even if SMU had a team that could compete for the championship, you know we wouldn't bring many fans and this location is about as far as it could be away from the bulk of AAC schools. This decision baffles me and will not be a good look for our conference.

Still think it is tied in with an official move of the conference offices to DFW.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:11 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Ft Worth might be the most poorly attended event in the AAC tourney's short history. Even if SMU had a team that could compete for the championship, you know we wouldn't bring many fans and this location is about as far as it could be away from the bulk of AAC schools. This decision baffles me and will not be a good look for our conference.

Still think it is tied in with an official move of the conference offices to DFW.



Sure, but have the tourney in DALLAS.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby smupony94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Smu correctly did not bid.

Ft Worth made a very strong offer to open their new arena
User avatar
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 25548
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:34 am
Location: Bee Cave, Texas

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:11 pm

smupony94 wrote:Smu correctly did not bid.

Ft Worth made a very strong offer to open their new arena

Plus a basketball seating capacity of 13,300 is a bit more appropriate for the event.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm so out of the loop I didn't even realize they had built a new facility .

Opening in November of this year



https://dickiesarena.com/

If it's good enough for George Strait
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby TidePony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm

My wish would be to move the tournament to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores. It would be in the center of the conference and the beach and fishing would be incredible. The problem is I have no idea if they even have a place to host the event. Flights to Pensacola and Mobile would be easy (and a Buc-ee’s for drivers, too).
User avatar
TidePony
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:08 pm

No surprise it's a great final.

Cincinnati up 33-30 at the half.

Has a typical Cincinnati slugfest feel.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Why not The Hamptons? We could use a little excitement in March around here.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5723
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby mrydel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Why not The Hamptons? We could use a little excitement in March around here.

Living in a place that starts with “The” already has enough.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 30963
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Houston getting tromped
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], sadderbudweiser and 4 guests