PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank is coming back and we’re screwed

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank is coming back and we’re screwed

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am

We need the top 150, maybe top 200 recruits to compete in this league and challenge for championships imo. Anthing beyond that can get you you to the NIT if that is the goal.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:48 am

We won't be alone in losing some of our top players next season. Houston loses Davis and Robinson, Memphis loses Martin and Davenport, Cincy loses Jeffries and Broome (I'm assuming Cumberland comes back?), UCF loses Tacko and Taylor, etc...

Memphis and UConn look to be bringing in quality classes and it remains to be seen how the others will replace their losses, but we could see a very competitive AAC next year with no dominant team(s). Just have to hope our core is back and that we will have enough talent to compete.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:39 am

Compete for what? Conference Championships? National Championships? Top 25 rankings? NIT appearances?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Arkpony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 am

Rebel10 wrote:Compete for what? Conference Championships? National Championships? Top 25 rankings? NIT appearances?

“Compete” as in losing for less that 49 points.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:28 am

Compete as in doing much better than this year's 10th place finish. Would be pleasantly surprised if next year's team could finish better than .500 in AAC play. I'm certainly not going to hold my breath. I just don't want the program to bottom out Tulane style, which is what I fear.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:39 am

So 1 game above .500 is good enough for you. I know you are a low key Jank supporter but if that is success then the program is on a downward trend. Because after Whitt leaves it’s going to be even tougher but I am sure by then the bar might even be lower.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Rebel10 wrote:We need the top 150, maybe top 200 recruits to compete in this league and challenge for championships imo. Anthing beyond that can get you you to the NIT if that is the goal.

Let's look at the roster the last three years.

2016: Moore, Milton, Brown, Foster, Ben, Semi. Only 6 top 250 players. We had a miracle that everyone stayed healthy. Milton, Brown, and Semi were top 100 recruits that allowed us to compete at a really, really high level without the depth. So I guess the lesson here is that if you have higher level recruits, you don't need as much depth...

2017: McMurray, Shake, Douglas, Ethan, Foster, Gu, Whitt. 7 top 250. I'd argue that if this team stays healthy, we might not win conference, but we make the NCAAs. Shake and Whitt, both top 100, made up for the lack of depth of talent. If you add one more top 250 to that mix, that team wins conference and has a chance to do well in the NCAAs.

2018: McMurray, Hunt, Douglas, Foster, Ethan, Whitt. Whitt is the only top 100 left. Mike was an unknown out of high school, but obviously a quality transfer and basically makes up for Douglas. I'll argue that even if this team is 100% healthy all season long, it doesn't compete for the conference championship. It MIGHT be a team in the NCAA bubble conversation, but I'm not convinced of that at all. Add one top 250 to this team and if it stays healthy it still doesn't compete for conference, but at least is in the NCAA as the third best team. If you added two, then I think you are talking.

So, to your point, maybe this: to finish top 3 in the league and compete for an NCAA bid, we need 8 top 250 players. Replace one of those 8 with a top 100 player, I think you are competing for conference. Replace two with a top 100 and I think you have a chance for a deep run in the NCAA.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:19 pm

You can’t have all lower end top 250 players (like 230 to t250) and compete for a national championship and it would tough in the AAC. Top 150 players help get you to that next level. And I don’t think Jank is even trying to recruit top 150 or 100 players. Remember you stated that you heard him say that his recruiting philosophy is to recruit under recited players with no P5 offers which generally are not top 150 or 100 players. So you need at least a quarter to a third of the roster to be Top 150 to 200 players imo. If you look at the rankings I believe SoCal posted we are not in the top 3 in AAC recruiting rankings. So that means the top teams in the AAC are out recruiting SMU. Anytime analysis is done the other teams recruiting needs to be taken into account. I know you are trying to make the case for the jc kid that did not have many offers to continue to defend Jank while the other 2 players coming in are past 350 in rankings. You also stated in earlier posts that if the team did not make it to the NCAA tournament that Jank would be replaced. Looks like you were wrong about that one as well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:49 pm

How weak of an OOC schedule will the AD give Jank to pad his OOC win totals to make him look good? Also if keeping Jank does not work out does the AD needed to be replaced as well?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby TidePony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Yes, we need new leadership.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Rebel10 wrote:So 1 game above .500 is good enough for you. I know you are a low key Jank supporter but if that is success then the program is on a downward trend. Because after Whitt leaves it’s going to be even tougher but I am sure by then the bar might even be lower.

My point is that I don't expect this program to be right back in the thick of things competing for the AAC title next year (with or without Jank at the helm). After going 6-12 in AAC play, I'd be thrilled if we demonstrated the ability to beat any of our conference opponents on any given night because I would go into the AAC tourney much more optimistic than I have been these past 2 seasons (call it the Cinderella syndrome). We can all see that next year's roster is at best a middle of the pack team and long term, no...that's not good enough. All we've heard is that NCAA tourney is the expectation, so I just don't want this program to look like Tulane before the trigger gets pulled. Assuming Jank is on a short leash and is not the guy who can get it done, I just want the next coach to come in with a foundation to build off of.

Let's not forget that Larry Brown inherited some talent and was able to turn things around quickly (in year 2), but for all the hype, his teams never won a game in the NCAA tourney so it's totally unrealistic to think we are suddenly going to produce a sweet 16 level program. I'd be pleasantly surprised if next year's team could even make the NIT and make a deep run in that tourney. Just need some positive momentum for whoever is going to be trying to recruit more talented players to this program.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Wise words, CP. Count me as someone who is genuinely surprised Jank is coming back. Still not sure I believe it. If this is true, I’m disappointed, but will remain hopeful for now that there is a plan in place to get us back where we belong competing for conference championships and Tournament bids. If that’s possible with Jank, all the better.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:So 1 game above .500 is good enough for you. I know you are a low key Jank supporter but if that is success then the program is on a downward trend. Because after Whitt leaves it’s going to be even tougher but I am sure by then the bar might even be lower.

My point is that I don't expect this program to be right back in the thick of things competing for the AAC title next year (with or without Jank at the helm). After going 6-12 in AAC play, I'd be thrilled if we demonstrated the ability to beat any of our conference opponents on any given night because I would go into the AAC tourney much more optimistic than I have been these past 2 seasons (call it the Cinderella syndrome). We can all see that next year's roster is at best a middle of the pack team and long term, no...that's not good enough. All we've heard is that NCAA tourney is the expectation, so I just don't want this program to look like Tulane before the trigger gets pulled. Assuming Jank is on a short leash and is not the guy who can get it done, I just want the next coach to come in with a foundation to build off of.

Let's not forget that Larry Brown inherited some talent and was able to turn things around quickly (in year 2), but for all the hype, his teams never won a game in the NCAA tourney so it's totally unrealistic to think we are suddenly going to produce a sweet 16 level program. I'd be pleasantly surprised if next year's team could even make the NIT and make a deep run in that tourney. Just need some positive momentum for whoever is going to be trying to recruit more talented players to this program.

Typical Jank apologist stuff. Downcut what LB did and lower expectations to NIT bid being enough to keep Jank for another year. That goes with the saying an 18-12 was the goal, advancing the narrative that Jank should return so that Whitt does not leave, and the June Jones blaming the crowd mess. You must be on Jank email list for talking points. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next season as your pro Jank undertone.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Typical Jank apologist stuff. Downcut what LB did and lower expectations to NIT bid being enough to keep Jank for another year. That goes with the saying an 18-12 was the goal, advancing the narrative that Jank should return so that Whitt does not leave, and the June Jones blaming the crowd mess. You must be on Jank email list for talking points. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next season as your undertone.

If it upsets you that much, just call Hart and stroke a check to buy Jank out but make sure you have someone better lined up and can stroke another check to cover a 5 year deal because this is already a rebuild and we all know it. Just trying to keep it real, Rebel. Never said I liked the job Jank is doing.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Hart should be held accountable if this does not work out in the long run.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball