PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Leave the boosters out of it

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Leave the boosters out of it

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

I know there is a lot of anti-Jank sentiment out there, which is totally understandable.

What we have got to stop doing is looking to anyone other than SMU to run the show. It is not the job of anyone not employed by SMU to pay any money for anything. It is generosity. And it needs to stay that way.

SMU has got itself in this mess and it needs leadership to solve it. Looking to alumni is not a suitable alternative.

Either that or make the Athletic department a company where every donor gets a say and gets the same information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Leave the boosters out of it

Postby ponyboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:36 pm

I agree. Though I despise ad hominem attacks, the coach is perfectly ok to criticize. You only get to criticize big donors after you've given more than they. I'm personally very thankful for what they've done for US.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLaw90 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 am

ponyboy wrote:I agree. Though I despise ad hominem attacks, the coach is perfectly ok to criticize. You only get to criticize big donors after you've given more than they. I'm personally very thankful for what they've done for US.

THIS^^^^^
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby TidePony » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:13 am

Yes^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Some people just find it too easy to spend other people's money. I'm assuming Mommy & Daddy put a lot of them through school and they haven't had to work for much in their lives.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Mustangsabu wrote: What we have got to stop doing is looking to anyone other than SMU to run the show. It is not the job of anyone not employed by SMU to pay any money for anything.

mustangsabu- agree. In fact on several occasions it has been suggested that SMU setup an Athletic Dept. endowment. This would be designed to cover all of the costs of our athletics. This type of system has worked very successfully at Stanford and also at Vanderbilt. IMO our problem is that our leadership(?) is not interested in that concept as it would perhaps dilute where our money gets spent and how many new fountains can be built.

Regarding comments about the boosters: IMO if you want your name up on the big sign in bright lights you not only have to pay for the sign and the electric but you also need to 'pony up' when a bulb or two needs replacing. If you aren't totally committed then don't commit at all. This is not something that can be done in a half-arsed manner. We will putz around for the next 5-10 years while schools like UH go full speed ahead to ensure they are considered in the next realignment.

Our sports programs are part of the university environment and should receive the same level of financing as do other departments of the university. If the school can't afford it then either shut it down or drop down to a level that is 'affordable'.
More than 25 years ago the school told a group of boosters who had built a million dollar plus
legal war-chest to protect the university from the selective enforcement activities of the ncaa to take their funds and shove it. Perhaps the school should tell our current boosters to do the same.
redpony

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Some people just find it too easy to spend other people's money. I'm assuming Mommy & Daddy put a lot of them through school and they haven't had to work for much in their lives.

CP- Are you speaking from your own family experience? As for me- I worked every summer, had paper routes etc., worked part-time while in college and paid for over 90% of my college out of my own personal pocket.
Perhaps for that reason it chaps my backside to see incompetence accepted like we have in the bball program. Likewise, if our current AD was in charge of a multi-million division of a major company and made the stupid gaffs he has made here he would have been out on the street a long time ago.
Then again, we are SMU-we do what we do. No act of success shall go unpunished.
redpony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 am

Not going to criticize people who give a lot more to SMU athletics than I’ll ever be able to, but it’s very disappointing to see us realize the potential this program has, and then proceed to flush it all down the drain.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Yes, Moody’s being torn down and Crum’s being used for Latin Club. All flushed down the drain.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:31 pm

ponyboy wrote:Yes, Moody’s being torn down and Crum’s being used for Latin Club. All flushed down the drain.

All of the positive momentum and buzz from the Larry era is gone. Jank killed it. And despite his terrible recruiting, we’re going to let him fill potentially as many as 7 spots this offseason, which will be a massive burden on the next coach whenever we wise up and fire Jank.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:50 pm

I’m with you there. Here’s hoping we are preparing for the coming of Larry 2.0 for the 2020-2021 season, whoever that might be.

Our deep potential hasn’t gone anywhere, but we are in seeming stall mode for the next 12-13 months. If something drastic hasn’t happened for 2020, i.e. a Jank miracle or a new, exciting head coach hire, I’ll light my pitchfork with the rest of you.

I am less than lukewarm on our prospects for next year. I’d be surprised if I make it to a game.
ponyboy

Postby Hilltopper » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:02 pm

It's a noble thought to leave the big-money donors out of it, but it's not realistic. Like it or not (and I don't), that's how many athletic departments work now - rich alums get a vote because they pay for alot: buildings, coaches, etc. Don't give them total authority, of course, but suggesting they should be left out of all decisions is a bit naive.

If you leave them out, how are their contribution$ replaced?
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 pm

You do not leave them out, you just do not verbally abuse them if they choose not to pull a few millions out of their pockets.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:25 pm

I agree that while it is one thing to bash our A.D. or administration for the state of our football and basketball programs, I have a hard time with anyone criticizing guys like Miller, Crum, Ford or any of our high dollar donors because I can only imagine where SMU athletics would be without their generous contributions
Charleston Pony

Postby CenTXpony » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:56 am

This never happens at the big time programs...
CenTXpony
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball