PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What’s worse than NCAA sanctions? Self-imposed JANKTIONS

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What’s worse than NCAA sanctions? Self-imposed JANKTIONS

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Think about it: the NCAA banned us from postseason play for one year and took away 2 scholarships for 3 years. Jank has us on a 2-year postseason hiatus right now and it will be probably be 2022 or 2023 (at the earliest) before a new coach can get us back on track and into the tournament, assuming Jank is gone after next season. While the NCAA scholarship reductions hurt, Jank has hindered the program with a multitude of low-major “talent” (and will add more with a full bench next year), and it’s likely that all of those low-major players won’t be able to be jettisoned by a new coach in one offseason because of APR. The next coach will take over a complete and total multi-year rebuild because of Jank’s incompetence.

What is he doing? He cant coach. He cant recruit. He does nothing to market the program outside of that Ozona’s thing which is probably required in his contract. Somebody else on here made the point a few weeks back: is there anything he does well? I cant think of anything besides complain.

Maybe after we fire him next season the NCAA can hire him, and instead of imposing sanctions on schools that get caught cheating, those schools have to install Jank as their head coach for 2-3 years, depending on the severity of their infractions. Thoughts?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: What’s worse than NCAA sanctions? Self-imposed JANKTIONS

Postby redpony » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:26 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Think about it: the NCAA banned us from postseason play for one year and took away 2 scholarships for 3 years. Jank has us on a 2-year postseason hiatus right now and it will be probably be 2022 or 2023 (at the earliest) before a new coach can get us back on track and into the tournament, assuming Jank is gone after next season. While the NCAA scholarship reductions hurt, Jank has hindered the program with a multitude of low-major “talent” (and will add more with a full bench next year), and it’s likely that all of those low-major players won’t be able to be jettisoned by a new coach in one offseason because of APR. The next coach will take over a complete and total rebuild because of Jank’s incompetence.

What is he doing? He cant coach. He cant recruit. He does nothing to market the program outside of that Ozona’s thing which is probably required in his contract. Somebody else on here made the point a few weeks back: is there anything he does well? I cant think of anything besides complain.

Maybe after we fire him next season the NCAA can hire him, and instead of imposing sanctions on schools that get caught cheating, those schools have to install Jank as their head coach for 2-3 years, depending on the severity of their infractions. Thoughts?

exactly. spot on. We can also thank those who turned their backs on the program they made 'big investments in and decided that being a bottom feeder was better than being a winner since they already have their names in the bright lights. In addition we can thank an incompetent AD who seems to have forgotten the buyout we should have from hog country. Wonder where that money went??? . More fountains??
redpony

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 pm

I will give Jank credit that he can come up with decent game plans. The game agains Arizona and USC at Moody stand out of having a superior Xs and Os going into it. Not good at in game adjustments if the plan is off, doesn’t seems to be good at coaching kids up (Douglass remains terrible and Chargois was basically the same player), terrible recruiter, horrible attitude.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:10 am

Pony_Law wrote:I will give Jank credit that he can come up with decent game plans. The game agains Arizona and USC at Moody stand out of having a superior Xs and Os going into it. Not good at in game adjustments if the plan is off, doesn’t seems to be good at coaching kids up (Douglass remains terrible and Chargois was basically the same player), terrible recruiter, horrible attitude.

Ethan:
2018-18: 46.3/33.3/57.1/4.4 reb/1.1 assists/ 9.1 points
2018-19: 43.5/34.9/69.9/6.2 reb/1.9 assists/12.4 points

I would suggest the drop in FG percentage is because he wasn't leveraged down low at all. He shot slightly better from 3, much better from the line, and was a much better rebounder. I would also say that while I wouldn't classify him as a good defender, he was certainly a better defender than last season. So I think saying he was the same player isn't fair. I think there was improvement. I think we also saw Jimmy take a step up, and we also saw Mike and Hunt improve significantly by the end of the season.

I don't think player development is the problem.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:06 am

The issue with Jankovich is recruiting and promotion plain and simple. He hasn’t been very good at in game adjustments. Hopefully we can add Tajzmel Sherman and maybe drop 1-2 of our lesser players to add another top transfer and I will at least be more optimistic.
mustangxc

Return to Basketball