PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: Thank you Dirk

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OT: Thank you Dirk

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 pm

ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OT: Thank you Dirk

Postby digman52 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:29 am

It was a great night of tributes for a selfless player who spent his whole 21 year career with one team. Every quarter change, and time outs were filled with Dirk videos, and video tributes from athletes from all over the world. The video showing "Uncle Dirk" spending 4 hours plus each Christmas at Children's Hospital in Dallas, had everyone bawling, including Dirk at mid-court.

Then after the game, Cuban brings out Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippin, Larry Bird, Sean Kemp, and Detlef Schrempt each spoke about Dirk, and what he meant to the game and the fans. Barkley said he is the "best guy ever ".

Every seat had a 41 21 1 shirt on it, for #41, 21 years 1 team. The Legends, all said that his stay in Dallas will never be matched.

It was a special night, and so glad I got to go with my son and grandson take it all in.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:08 pm

The video of the legends is well worth watching.
ponyboy

Postby horsemanx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:20 pm

He always seemed like a pretty decent guy and had a nice career. I won't be a bit surprised if he ends up in the Hall Of Fame.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:25 pm

He’s an absolute lock for HOF. Top 25 all time NBA
ponyboy

Postby horsemanx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:37 pm

ponyboy wrote:He’s an absolute lock for HOF. Top 25 all time NBA

Don't know if I would go that far. Low points per game among scoring leaders and obviously aided greatly by the three point line.

Rebounds per game very low for a 7-footer.

Still deserves HOF consideration in my opinion though for sure.
horsemanx
All-American

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Don’t be silly. He’s as big a lock for the HOF as anyone could be.
gostangs

Postby horsemanx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:05 pm

gostangs wrote:Don’t be silly. He’s as big a lock for the HOF as anyone could be.

I agree he was a great player and he certainly changed the idea of power forwards in the NBA - not necessarily for the better in my opinion.

But people throwing out "best of all time" type comments need to tap the brakes. His scoring numbers are bloated because of three-pointers and his rebounding numbers are very low for his size. Not a deal breaker at all. If I was an NBA GM I would certainly take him any day.

Three-point shooting big men are a dime a dozen these days. Dirk's career percentage isn't that much better than Chargois'.
horsemanx
All-American

Postby TDMustang » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm

horsemanx wrote:
gostangs wrote:Don’t be silly. He’s as big a lock for the HOF as anyone could be.

I agree he was a great player and he certainly changed the idea of power forwards in the NBA - not necessarily for the better in my opinion.

But people throwing out "best of all time" type comments need to tap the brakes. His scoring numbers are bloated because of three-pointers and his rebounding numbers are very low for his size. Not a deal breaker at all. If I was an NBA GM I would certainly take him any day.

Three-point shooting big men are a dime a dozen these days. Dirk's career percentage isn't that much better than Chargois'.

I don't post much on here but this almost drew me offsides.... ^^^this guy has to be trolling.
TDMustang
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 pm

he was not only a really good, loyal player but also a professional who represented the Mavs and Dallas in a very positive way.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 pm

A few links for reference:

#21 in the Fox Sports 25 greatest players in NBA history
https://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/r ... ory-100716

#17 in the CBS greatest NBA players of all time
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cbs- ... urry-rank/

#27 SLAM Top 100 Players of All Time
https://www.slamonline.com/nba/slams-to ... ime-50-11/

First ballot Hall of Famer who, like Tim Duncan, had no interest in self-promotion. A guy who gave up a ton of money for his team and his adopted city. A guy who changed the game and, in the words of Larry Bird, "left the game better than he found it."
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Dirk is a hero. Great player and it seems like an even greater person.

mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Dirk was clearly a rarity in the modern era of professional sports. Could have made a lot more money job hopping but how much is enough?
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Dirk was clearly a rarity in the modern era of professional sports. Could have made a lot more money job hopping but how much is enough?

Dirk is the 5th highest paid player in NBA history. He made 252 million dollars playing for the Mavs. Not sure I agree he could’ve made a lot more somewhere else. One year post championship he did take less to help with the cap but Cuban made up for it later.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 pm

1. Adjusted to inflation, that figure loses a good portion of its strength; and 2. he was well-paid due to his endurance.

It's clear he could have made a lot more money by not being loyal to his adopted city. He gave up a lot, especially in terms of how other players and the press saw him (i.e. the idea salary = how good you are), in order to try to help Cuban get him get a better supporting cast.
ponyboy

Next

Return to Basketball