PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next Year's Rotation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next Year's Rotation

Postby mrydel » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Well then let’s classify him as a one and done and feel good about it.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 pm

blackoutpony wrote:He had no other offers. End of story.

Do you know that he would have had zero committable offers? As a Canadian player, he got a lot of interest from some pretty good teams out of high school, who backed off because of his weird Canadian grades situation that required him to go the JUCO route. Absolutely worst case, he was certainly offered by Richmond and LaSalle.

And what does “end of story” mean? He’s a for sure bust?
ponyboy

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:30 pm

I love our circular firing squad.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 pm

ponyboy wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:He had no other offers. End of story.

Do you know that he would have had zero committable offers? As a Canadian player, he got a lot of interest from some pretty good teams out of high school, who backed off because of his weird Canadian grades situation that required him to go the JUCO route. Absolutely worst case, he was certainly offered by Richmond and LaSalle.

And what does “end of story” mean? He’s a for sure bust?

247 Sports and Rivals show no other offers.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 pm

I see no harm in having Bandoumel as a complimentary player. I just don’t expect him to be a star for us. We need to cut our losses elsewhere.
mustangxc

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm

This is kind of a silly argument because no one really knows what to expect from Band.

Bandoumel had no or very few offers when he committed to SMU in the fall, which isn't ideal. That being said, he had numerous offers out of HS and lots of HM interest before he went the JuCo route. He has some HM tools and probably would have had more offers if he didn't have this weird eligibility issue hanging over him (who wants a potentially 1 year JuCo), but was also just above-average at JuCo (14PPG 4RPG 53/39/80 shooting split), not anything special.

He could do well and be a decent 10-15 minute contributor off the bench this season given his athleticism, size, and shooting (shot 39% from 3) or could be another Nat Dixon type flop who has tools that don't translate to the AAC.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Bandoumel actually has better shooting percentage stats at every level -FTs, FGs and 3 Point. Here's Jolly's stats-50.6% from the field, 35.1% on threes and 78.1%. Thing is everybody in JUCO is trying to get out of JUCO and the only way to do that is to manufacture some stats. I watched several of Bandoumel's games and none of his teammates pass up many shots. Question is more about whether his athletic talents fit within a team framework at the next level. His shooting percentages indicate he's got a nice stroke-they aren't meh-they're pretty good
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Stallion wrote:Bandoumel actually has better shooting percentage stats at every level -FTs, FGs and 3 Point. Here's Jolly's stats-50.6% from the field, 35.1% on threes and 78.1%. Thing is everybody in JUCO is trying to get out of JUCO and the only way to do that is to manufacture some stats. I watched several of Bandoumel's games and none of his teammates pass up many shots. Question is more about whether his athletic talents fit within a team framework at the next level. His shooting percentages indicate he's got a nice stroke-they aren't meh-they're pretty good

I agree with this, but it is easier to have inflated percentages when you don’t take many attempts per game. Just watching them play it is clear Jolly is definitely on a different level than Bandoumel (rankings aside and his overall stats are vastly superior)
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:20 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I think Bandoumel’s going to surprise.

Why? No other D1 coach offered him a scholarship.

He is in fact surprising.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:18 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

Both he and Jolly are going to have to contribute significantly next year. Replacing McMurray and Whitt is going to be tough.

I had not counted on the addition of Davis when we were having this discussion but I would say Jank managed to upgrade the backcourt with the additions of Jolly, Davis and Bandoumel.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am

And next year with McNiel is going to be nasty good.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:22 pm

And he did.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:03 pm

Bandoumel has proven to be a terrific player for SMU and as everyone says, he's been the "unsung" key to many a win the past couple of years. I would love to see our guys have a successful post season and for Bandoumel, Davis, Nutall, Phelps and Smith to all come back. That would be a pretty nice backcourt and then with Todorovic and Anamekwe on the wing we just need some bigs who can guard the paint and pound the boards. We don't know what Cisse might add as a true frosh but if Clark, Young & Agunanne all come back they would certainly provide some options and depth but I still think Jank needs to find a big physical replacement for Marcus Weathers. Our bigs have all shown to be a step too slow when going up against some of the more talented bigs in the AAC
Charleston Pony

Postby Higher Authority » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:16 am

Bandoumel was fantastic in this tournament.
Sure hope he comes back.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:42 am

His aggressiveness and athleticism were bumped up several notches last night. That drive and dunk near the end of the game was a thing of absolute beauty. He really seems to relish the big game spotlight.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball