PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why didn’t we fire Jankovich?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why didn’t we fire Jankovich?

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 28, 2019 10:09 pm

We’re such a stupid school. Jank is objectively a pathetic loser who has no interest whatsoever in doing anything besides strumming his stupid guitar, whining and making excuses like a little brat and cashing 7-figure checks. Meanwhile Memphis made the RIGHT hire and is a national championship contender in year two.

I’m not saying we should take the Memphis approach — they’re obviously cheating beyond belief, but with our location, facilities, academics, and the fan base we once had before the braintrust of Rick Hart and Pottkotter ruined it, there’s no reason we shouldn’t be recruiting at a high level and competing for conference titles year in and year out. Instead, no one is even mentioning us in the top half of the conference for next season and arguably programs like USF and Tulane have passed us by.

If you spend a dime on SMU basketball tickets next year, you’re a sucker.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Why didn’t we fire Jankovich?

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue May 28, 2019 10:33 pm

In what world has Tulane passed us by... they lost their two best players off an 0-18 team and have added 2 mercenary grad transfers and another transfer. They are gonna be awful again. USF you have a point even though they seem pretty mid pack.

I also thought we should have fired Jank. That being said he has added some solid pieces this Spring in Jolly (1st team JuCo All-American), Darius McNeill(Cal Transfer), Isiah Jasey (A&M Transfer), and Charles Smith IV. We add another piece to those names to go with Hunt, Mike and Chaggy we could have something. Too soon to tell. It is put up or shut up time for Jank this season, if the additions don’t pan out then he will be gone and we can see what kind of coach we can get, but maybe we end up having something if the above happens. Not like we didn’t add any talent this Spring. Jolly and McNeill can really go. Jasey is the exact type of big we have been missing. Smith is a talented frosh. Mike, Hunt and Chaggy should all take steps forward.

Not gonna hold my breath on us being good or forget how bad the recruiting was before this Spring, but I’m also gonna see what these guys can do and how our core 3 developed because we do have some guys who can play and added some who can as well.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed May 29, 2019 7:59 am

I’m no Jank supporter. I wish he was gone and I seriously doubt he can get us where we want to go.

At least he woke up and smelled the stink coming from Moody..... a place that was smelling like roses before he got the gig full time.

MVC vets from WSU all seem to think Jank is a guy who will do just enough to get by. We’re stuck with him now and this season will be very telling. Are we stuck mid to lower pack in an improving AAC or do we return to being top four and a tourney team?

Making the tourney will require that Jank can actually coach.

As for Moody: If it becomes Moody Mausoleum that’s on Hart as well as Jank.

I remember having a part time gig handing out sample sized FRESH START laundry detergent on campus. No tourney this year? It’s time for another Fresh Start campaign.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony ^ » Wed May 29, 2019 9:36 am

Moody is already a mausoleum thanks to Hart.

Jank is trying to find any W's he can by scheduling complete cupcakes.
Pony ^

Postby mustangxc » Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 am

I thought letting Jankovich walk this offseason was a no-brainer, but I've been very pleased with the off-season so far. The first real negative was not holding on to Jimmy Whitt. We need one more playmaker, which is probably a pipe dream at this point and we need to continue adding top teams to our non-conference schedule. If we can do that and seriously compete for an NCAA bid and worst case scenario land in the NIT as hosts for a couple games I will be optimistic moving forward.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 am

PonyLawExpress wrote: It is put up or shut up time for Jank this season, if the additions don’t pan out then he will be gone and we can see what kind of coach we can get, .
-

IIRC that was kind of the opinion last season. I thought if he didn't get to the big dance he was going to be gone but that was just another pipe-dream. And a mediocre season this year will just extend the agony for another year or two.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 am

Yes, that was the opinion last year. I was personally so sure of it. I don’t know what to believe now, other than I believe I’ll shut up whenever I think I have insider knowledge.

I am all in this season and hope Jank blows all of us away, way outperforms and reels in some big recruits as a result. But if it’s less than that, he will more than have had all the time he deserves.
ponyboy

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed May 29, 2019 2:23 pm

redpony wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote: It is put up or shut up time for Jank this season, if the additions don’t pan out then he will be gone and we can see what kind of coach we can get, .
-

IIRC that was kind of the opinion last season. I thought if he didn't get to the big dance he was going to be gone but that was just another pipe-dream. And a mediocre season this year will just extend the agony for another year or two.

That was the opinion of some fans, but not of the people who actually had any say so. Going into last season Jank was not on a hot seat. Going into last season he was just one season removed from 30 wins and a conference title (with LB's guys, but still) and the 17-18 season he got a pass for because we looked headed for the tourney before Shake and Jarrey were lost for the season. Some people were concerned going into last season, but Jank's job was by no means on the line last season. Last season went so bad that it probably should have cost him his job, but he was able to convince the decision makers that he deserved a season off sanctions, etc.

Now going into this season he is 1000% being watched by every decision maker.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Wed May 29, 2019 3:43 pm

We really need to land one of the plug-and-play graduate transfer point guards to have a legitimate shot to compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm

I'm pretty sure the comment was made during one of our 1st telecast games this past season (announcer talking about conversations he had with Hart) that the benchmark for this program was NCAA bids...but that expectation was to begin "after the probation ran it's course and Jank had a full roster again". It was pretty clear with as much as they talked about our being short handed that this probably was what is now expected of Jank. I'm with others in hoping we can immediately get back to being one of the top 4 in what should be a pretty good conference but after tasting the success LB had here, I hope the decision makers truly have that "NCAAs or bust" expectation.
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 am

We don't have unlimited resources - so no, we cant fire Jank - pay two more years of his 2M salary and then go spend 2M plus on his replacement - at the same time we are needing to get ready to throw our wallet at Sonny's staff who will likely need a bunch more dough to stay together. All this while we lose about 5M a year on our athletic program since we get 2.5M in TV money instead of 35M like those we think we want to immolate. You people have no idea how difficult this is apparently. We pass the hat every year to the same 5 guys and they keep us in business. You cant keep going back to that well forever - eventually this will have to be sustainable.

Not defending Jank - I don't think he is the long term guy since he hasn't beefed up his recruiting the way he needed to - but I understand when we need to suffer through another year because, you know...math.
gostangs

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 am

gostangs wrote:We don't have unlimited resources - so no, we cant fire Jank - pay two more years of his 2M salary and then go spend 2M plus on his replacement - at the same time we are needing to get ready to throw our wallet at Sonny's staff who will likely need a bunch more dough to stay together. All this while we lose about 5M a year on our athletic program since we get 2.5M in TV money instead of 35M like those we think we want to immolate. You people have no idea how difficult this is apparently. We pass the hat every year to the same 5 guys and they keep us in business. You cant keep going back to that well forever - eventually this will have to be sustainable.

Not defending Jank - I don't think he is the long term guy since he hasn't beefed up his recruiting the way he needed to - but I understand when we need to suffer through another year because, you know...math.

I would love to immolate some of or competition....you might be on to something!
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 am

Sonny Dykes will be taken care of with the new TV deal that starts in 2020.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
gostangs wrote:We don't have unlimited resources - so no, we cant fire Jank - pay two more years of his 2M salary and then go spend 2M plus on his replacement - at the same time we are needing to get ready to throw our wallet at Sonny's staff who will likely need a bunch more dough to stay together. All this while we lose about 5M a year on our athletic program since we get 2.5M in TV money instead of 35M like those we think we want to immolate. You people have no idea how difficult this is apparently. We pass the hat every year to the same 5 guys and they keep us in business. You cant keep going back to that well forever - eventually this will have to be sustainable.

I would love to immolate some of or competition....you might be on to something!

That is how it all ends...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 pm

We’ve been immolated for so long, it’s time for us to be the Immolators. Fiyahhhh!
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball