PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston has sold out season tix

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston has sold out season tix

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Remember when our HC motivated and pumped up our fan base?

SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Houston has sold out season tix

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Football school
One Trick Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Remember when our HC motivated and pumped up our fan base?

We have a coach that fits that description, Sonny Dykes!
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 pm

The students showed some real potential at Ford last week. Winning will do that. So will an engaged and committed coach. I’ll stop there.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm

We all know the program is in desperate need of new leadership, but I still think the team is better than 9th or 10th in the AAC where most experts pick us to finish. Obviously the Davis and McNeill waivers are huge.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 pm

What does it mean to sell out season tickets? Sell out every seat in the facility for every game? Or just sell out the number of seats you have allotted for season ticket sales?
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:24 pm

ponyboy wrote:What does it mean to sell out season tickets? Sell out every seat in the facility for every game? Or just sell out the number of seats you have allotted for season ticket sales?

The latter.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:31 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:We all know the program is in desperate need of new leadership, but I still think the team is better than 9th or 10th in the AAC where most experts pick us to finish. Obviously the Davis and McNeill waivers are huge.

Even if those waivers get approved, we have one guy, Bandomel, who should be a threat from 3. Nobody else will hit them consistently with the new range (although it won't impact Mike as much from the corner).

The team will improve because of depth and the ability to practice will improve the offensive and defensive consistency. But I wouldn't expect the team to push for a top 4 spot in the league unless:
1) Hunt is all conference
2) Davis gets approved to give us a true point guard
3) We have 4 legit three point shooting threats (starters plus bench) to stretch the floor.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm

JasonB wrote:
ponyboy wrote:What does it mean to sell out season tickets? Sell out every seat in the facility for every game? Or just sell out the number of seats you have allotted for season ticket sales?

The latter.

Thanks. Big difference.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Yeah, JasonB, Kyle Snyder's on the podcast got us as, what, five or six in the AAC? The fact is we don't know what we have to trot out there, especially with the eligibility decisions looming. But what you say sounds about right to me. Chargois, Hunt, and Mike are a nice frontcourt, though.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:17 pm

ponyboy wrote:Yeah, JasonB, Kyle Snyder's on the podcast got us as, what, five or six in the AAC? The fact is we don't know what we have to trot out there, especially with the eligibility decisions looming. But what you say sounds about right to me. Chargois, Hunt, and Mike are a nice frontcourt, though.

Here is the thing - I think EC effectiveness actually takes a step back with the new three point line. Unless he really stretches his game, Jasey plays ahead of him when he gets eligible because he at least has a defensive presence.

In a perfect world where everyone gets cleared, this is a top half team in conference:
Davis, Jolly, Mike, Hunt, Jasey. This unit will be great defensively. They will be solid on offense, but to be an elite offence, two players need to be able to make more than 35% of their shots from 3. I don't see it happening, but there is at least hope. This is a "solid" starting unit in the league, but not top 4 unless you get those two shooters.

Second unit: McNeil, Bandoumel, Smith, Ray, EC. Not sure if anyone can handle. Smith and Ray will be good, tough players, and might be good enough to prevent the second unit from falling apart defensively. McNeil becomes the volume shooter/playmaker off the bench with Bandoumel spotting up to stretch and EC a third scoring option off McNeil. This is actually a halfway decent bench in the league.

Extra Depth: McBride, White, Douglas. Will work hard defensively. Maybe you can redshirt McBride and White along with Young.

The challenge comes if Davis is not cleared. Then Jolly runs point, and isn't as effective there. Bandoumel gives you the three, but you lose defense and playmaking. Starting unit takes a step back, and so does the second unit as you lose your spacing. I think we struggle to be .500 in the league at that point.

If McNeil isn't cleared, now you lost your volume shooter on the second team, as well as another ball handler. This is where we finish below .500 in the league. Not 6-12 bad like last year, but 8-10 because of improved defense.
JasonB

Return to Basketball