PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Roster Question

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Roster Question

Postby Topper » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:55 pm

So is every player listed on the team's website roster actually eligible this season? If so, who is on scholarship but waiting for eligibility? I'm sorry but confused as usual about this.
User avatar
Topper
Heisman
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:01 am
Location: austin

Re: Roster Question

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Yes to everyone but Kendric Davis (TCU) and Darius McNeill (Cal). Both are transfers who normally have to sit out a year but they have applied for a waiver to be immediately eligible. Could go either way, and could be announced tomorrow or a day before the season starts. It is the NCAA, so who knows?

Oh and Isiah Jasey (A&M) will not be eligible until the end of the semester.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

Image
User avatar
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15422
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:01 am
Location: El Porto, CA 90266

Re: Roster Question

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:25 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Yes to everyone but Kendric Davis (TCU) and Darius McNeill (Cal). Both are transfers who normally have to sit out a year but they have applied for a waiver to be immediately eligible. Could go either way, and could be announced tomorrow or a day before the season starts. It is the NCAA, so who knows?

Oh and Isiah Jasey (A&M) will not be eligible until the end of the semester.



Please correct me if I’m wrong LA.... but I think those waiver requests could actually be decided by the NCAA AFTER the season begins too. There really truly is no actual time/date that response from the NCAA is bound too. Right?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: Roster Question

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Yes to everyone but Kendric Davis (TCU) and Darius McNeill (Cal). Both are transfers who normally have to sit out a year but they have applied for a waiver to be immediately eligible. Could go either way, and could be announced tomorrow or a day before the season starts. It is the NCAA, so who knows?

Oh and Isiah Jasey (A&M) will not be eligible until the end of the semester.



Please correct me if I’m wrong LA.... but I think those waiver requests could actually be decided by the NCAA AFTER the season begins too. There really truly is no actual time/date that response from the NCAA is bound too. Right?


I don't think they will wait that long. They have to wait for football, because you have to be enrolled before the waiver request is sent. For basketball, everyone is already enrolled. So the only delay is waiting for football applications and appeals to be processed.

The team should know well before the season starts... who knows when that will be released publicly, though.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5923
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Roster Question

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:51 am

Jolly's a go, though, right? Seems like he's a huge piece.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12686
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: Roster Question

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm

ponyboy wrote:Jolly's a go, though, right? Seems like he's a huge piece.


Yes, JUCO, immediately available.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5923
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Roster Question

Postby Dukie » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:00 am

What's the basis for Davis' requested waiver?
Dukie
All-American
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Roster Question

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Dukie wrote:What's the basis for Davis' requested waiver?

The mental toll of having to spend a year on the TCU campus.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

Image
User avatar
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15422
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:01 am
Location: El Porto, CA 90266

Re: Roster Question

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:55 pm

NCAA usually grants waivers when coaches leave but not sure how they will react to a coach wanting to leave and then staying. We should not count on Davis playing this season but McNeill might be another story. Sure could use the depth/experience at guard. Otherwise, we are depending on JUCOs and frosh which could mean our non-conference schedule will be a lot more difficult than anyone could have imagined...or maybe Jank knew it when putting that schedule together?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 19735
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Roster Question

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Houston got their KU transfer approved yesterday. I would guess that ours would come in this week one way or the other.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5923
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Roster Question

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 19735
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Roster Question

Postby PonyTime » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Tulsa's transfer from Arkansas was denied. Every other transfer out of Ark was approved.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/tu/waiver-request-denied-for-tu-guard-keyshawn-embery-simpson/article_16f77acf-31db-5e21-bce7-e53435728aa6.html

“His story is compelling,” Haith said. “To say that this process isn’t consistent, I think that is the right word.”

Tulsa board livid about this - apparently, thus far, 53 out of 61 have been approved. 59 kids are still waiting to hear.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3431
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Re: Roster Question

Postby PonySnob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:51 pm

Would probably put money on our transfers being denied
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11290
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Roster Question

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:28 am

Fired coach appears to be the best argument and that was the Tulsa tranfer's mistake (to not have made that his # 1 point)
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 19735
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Roster Question

Postby mustangxc » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:51 am

So probably McNeill but not Davis.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5508
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Next

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: White Helmet and 7 guests