PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU MBB vs. Jacksonville State

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU MBB vs. Jacksonville State

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Jolly looks like he's going to be a player for us this year. Hunt looked improved at times but overall a pretty inconsistent performance by our guys tonight. Got sloppy with the big lead and we were not as aggressive against JSU's press as I thought we would be. Looked like the plan became to burn clock rather than attack to get them out of that press. Not a bad opener in a very lethargic Moody tonight.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Only caught the second half. Mike, Chargois, Hunt and Jolly look like a nice core. Bandoumel looked comfortable, but I didn't see him hit many shots. Loved the Chargois lob to Mike from the three point line. Thing of beauty. What else did I miss?
ponyboy

Postby shadowman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 pm

Just back from the game,

Was very enjoyable. I liked the new announcer and the atmosphere, was tailored much more like an NBA game. If we can keep winning and get Moody mostly full for most games, should be fun.

Team looked pretty good, a lot of athletes with size and length. So many new faces though, will take time to jell. Best highlight, which happened right in front of us, was the Chagrois perfect alley oop pass to Mike for the the thunder dunk.

Their press in the second half definitely bothered us but we can work on that.

Also was nice to see Jarrey Foster sitting courtside behind the basket, he even got announced with a standing ovation.

President Bush and Laura were there, and as true fans, were there from opening tip until final buzzer.

The lighting and the subtle redecoration with some of the signage and fonts was also a positive touch.

We have such a great venue, just need to get the fans excited again and get them back.

Looking forward to the season!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Roach » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 pm

I agree with most of your thoughts, shadowman, except the new PA guy. NBA PA guys, as a rule, are awful, and he sounded like an NBA guy. Give the information in a game, shut up and let the game tell the story.

Great to see Jarrey Foster there. Hope he gets chance to play somewhere.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm

PonyPride wrote:Starters

JACKSONVILLE STATE
F 2 Jacara Cross
C 3 Maros Zeliznak
G 4 Ty Hudson
G 13 Elias Harden
G 31 Marek Welsch

SMU
G 0 Tyson Jolly
F 1 Feron Hunt
G 5 Emmanuel Bandoumel
F 15 Isiaha Mike
F 25 Ethan Chargois
Roach wrote:I agree with most of your thoughts, shadowman, except the new PA guy. NBA PA guys, as a rule, are awful, and he sounded like an NBA guy. Give the information in a game, shut up and let the game tell the story.

He's the Mavs PA guy. He is also our football PA guy this year.
RGV Pony

Postby shadowman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Roach wrote:I agree with most of your thoughts, shadowman, except the new PA guy. NBA PA guys, as a rule, are awful, and he sounded like an NBA guy. Give the information in a game, shut up and let the game tell the story.

Heh, I do agree he sounded like an NBA guy, but I actually saw it as a good change of pace from what we have had in the past, even in a mostly empty arena, I could listen to his drivel, squint my eyes and almost believe the stands were full and I was witnessing the greatest game ever!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Roach » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm

HA!
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:41 am

Smith looked like a promising frosh out there as well so I'm optimistic this team could be competitive even without the waivers. We've got some guards who can contribute although it's hard to tell what JSU really had talent wise. If both Davis & McNeil have their waivers granted, we are going to be loaded at the G position
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLaw90 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:35 am

Its always difficult to gauge early games, and this one was one of them. I went to see the new team. Moody has zero energy. I took my fiancé and had to explain what Moody used to be like. Showed her videos on YouTube of what Moody can be like. She asked why the change? I said, "too much to explain in one night."

What was really sad and depressing was audio team piping in a fake audience sing along to Seven Nations. Uhm, no one was chanting that at all. We are fortunate that SMU football is ranked in top 25 because basketball won't be. Not with this schedule.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 am

a real shame that our bball program is afraid to schedule real competition.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:09 am

PonyLaw90 wrote:Its always difficult to gauge early games, and this one was one of them. I went to see the new team. Moody has zero energy. I took my fiancé and had to explain what Moody used to be like. Showed her videos on YouTube of what Moody can be like. She asked why the change? I said, "too much to explain in one night."

What was really sad and depressing was audio team piping in a fake audience sing along to Seven Nations. Uhm, no one was chanting that at all. We are fortunate that SMU football is ranked in top 25 because basketball won't be. Not with this schedule.

At this point I am not worried about Top 25 rankings. I just want to win the games we scheduled and then win our fair share in conference play.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:53 am

mustangxc wrote: I just want to win the games we scheduled and then win our fair share in conference play.

Unfortunately if that happens it will just delay getting rid of this lazy incompetent clown who calls himself a coach.
redpony

Postby smitty329 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:33 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:I took my fiancé and had to explain what Moody used to be like. Showed her videos on YouTube of what Moody can be like. She asked why the change? I said, "too much to explain in one night."

Well, you did basically show her a top moment from a conference game featuring a team that clicked, and took her to a pre-season game with a team looking to gel. I hope you didn't take her to Aspen in July to propose and then show her pictures of how packed it is when there is actual snow in January. Duh.
smitty329
All-American

Postby JasonB » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:00 pm

The team played way, way better than it did early last season. They messed around a little in the second half, but the game was never in doubt.

I love the offensive rebounding of the team, and great to see that as a strength again.

I still worry about our lack of perimeter shooting. Jank says we have quite a few players who can.

Jolly, Hunt and Mike are good quality starters in the AAC.

Bandoumel is more athletic than I expected. Nice length defensively. His deep shot is supposed to be better than what he showed last night. I'm not sure if he is quite at the level to start in the AAC yet, but if we get a waiver, then he is an above average player coming off the bench.

Chargois I think is a borderline starter in the league. But if he is way above average coming off the bench if Jasey ends up starting.

Ray is okay coming off the bench as the third big (4-5). Once Jasey comes back, I think he is above average in the league as the 4th big.

Smith showed nice size, athleticism, and effort. Probably not ready for the first guard off the bench. But second or third guard off the bench he is above league average.

White showed he is capable as the 2nd guard off the bench and 8th player. Move him to 4th and 10th and he is above average.

No waivers and I think this team finishes .500 in conference, about 18 wins.

1 waiver and some three point shooting, and they finish top half, 21 wins or so.

2 waivers, top 4 finish in conference.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Maybe they should practice free throws
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball