PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

And down goes Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: And down goes Memphis

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Unless you’re a blue blood. Then you can do anything you want. The big boys have been on this Memphis resurgence from the beginning. They don’t like being outrecruited.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby soccermom » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

ponyboy wrote:Unless you’re a blue blood. Then you can do anything you want. The big boys have been on this Memphis resurgence from the beginning. They don’t like being outrecruited.

You’re preaching to the choir.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:45 am

PoconoPony wrote:Outline of the violation is pretty egregious. On this one I support the NCAA or you can throw out any rules governing recruiting and fairness. You simply cannot recruit the parents, pay for their moving expenses to your city several years in advance and find them a job in return for a commitment. What else happened here that is not yet public?? This situation matches perfectly several situations that landed us with the death penalty.

I think the real complaints Memphis has are:

1) It also matches things that multiple other programs have done while receiving no punishment - or such delayed punishment that it did not matter. (NCAA doesn't care about this point.)

2) Memphis provided all of the available information to the NCAA and Wiseman was cleared, but then the NCAA backtracked and abruptly declared him ineligible. There was no new information to my knowledge. (This might actually work...)

I think Memphis is [deleted]. But I hope not.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:21 am

As a booster ( or coach) I cannot provide a player or recruit with a burger or laundry detergent, but apparently Penny can pay thousands to move a kid to his town.

Not defending the NCAA, but if this turns out to be a nothing burger ( pun intended) a lot of rules need changing,
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dukie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 am

mrydel wrote:As a booster ( or coach) I cannot provide a player or recruit with a burger or laundry detergent, but apparently Penny can pay thousands to move a kid to his town.

Not defending the NCAA, but if this turns out to be a nothing burger ( pun intended) a lot of rules need changing,

It was north of ten thousand dollars. Penny was a high school coach at the time. There are at least media references to him having done things like this for other families. It will be interesting to see what actually comes out.
Dukie
Heisman

And down goes Memphis

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am

I am not employed by SMU but am considered a booster due to attending. Sherwood was not employed by SMU.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby max the wonder dog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 pm

max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:50 pm

I wonder what would happen if we got a court to say that the two transfers were eligible and started playing them? What would the NCAA do?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Wiseman gets 12 game suspension but Memphis will appeal:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... unishment/
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony64 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Terry Webster wrote:I wonder what would happen if we got a court to say that the two transfers were eligible and started playing them? What would the NCAA do?

Exactly
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Pony64 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:

We don't even defend ourselves.
:?

If there is one that drives me crazy is our reluctance to fight back against this corrupt organization. We always seems to just be saying " thank you sir may I have another".
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Topper » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Pony64 wrote:
The PonyGrad wrote:

We don't even defend ourselves.
:?

If there is one that drives me crazy is our reluctance to fight back against this corrupt organization. We always seems to just be saying " thank you sir may I have another".

Exactly. In the 80s I was one who advocated for suing the NCAA in a Texas court. They would have settled before letting us depose their investigators. First thing I would have subpoeaned would have been the complaints they received about the UT but refused to investigate. They pick on us because we don't fight back.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Topper- I am with you on that. In fact, IIRC there were a group of people who had committed a 'war chest' of about 1 mill. to fight the ncaa and the university told them (us) to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. That was about the last time I donated to this school. They didn't want my money then so they don't need it now.

This admin. let by RGT and lapboy AD have no cajones when it comes to standing up for the university and fighting like most schools do. Really sad.
redpony

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 pm

mrydel wrote:I am not employed by SMU but am considered a booster due to attending. Sherwood was not employed by SMU.

My understanding is merely being a school contributor or booster meets the standard. You do not need to be an alum although that is prime facie evidence.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball