PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs. New Orleans

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs. New Orleans

Postby HTXPonyUp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Feron Hunt making a bunch of posters tonight. Jeesh that was filthy!
HTXPonyUp
Scout Team

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 pm

UNO not going away
SMU 71-62
1:57 to go
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Mike 3 gives him a game-high 21 points

SMU 77-64 with 12 seconds to go
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 pm

FINAL

SMU 77, UNO 64
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Hunt was everywhere tonight with 14 points and 13 boards including 6-9 FGs and 5 offensive boards. He looks like he could become a great college player but is a little reckless at times and did have 4 of our 10 turnovers tonight.

C.J. White looked much improved and had 5 assists vs only one turnover while contributing 6 points on 3-7 FGs. He ran the point much of the night and played pretty good D with a block and a steal but I still hope Davis and McNeil get to play this year.

Mike and Jolly are scoring machines and I think we can count on both to be consistent double figure scorers. I thought Ray looked better tonight and good a good job on the defensive boards.

Still concerned about Chargois after another 1-8 shooting night.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Once we hear from the ncaa and get Aggie playing in a month this is going to be a pretty good team.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 pm

only 125 teams undefeated that includes SMU
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby JasonB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Ethan is playing like someone who knows they are losing their starting spot.

The length on the team is nice. It will help us defensively the entire season. We are going to have to play zone against smaller teams because we are going to get beat off the bounce by small guards. But so did the 30-5 team. I'm also going to upset people by stating that CJ is a nice rotational piece off the bench. Not a wasted scholarship at all.

The thing that is going to prevent us from competing at the top of the conference is a lack of a second scorer. Jolly has emerged as a number one. Mike, Hunt, Ethan are all number 3 scorers - solid players that can hit double digits on most nights. I love that. But we don't have a dependable number 2 option right now. I love watching Hunt and his energy, but he isn't that defined number 2 option yet.

Even if we get the two waivers, I think we are lacking a clear, reliable number two scoring option. McNeil is inconsistent, and Davis is a provider more than scorer.

Starters: Davis, Jolly, Hunt, Mike, Jasey
Second team: CJ, Bandoumel, McNeil, Ray, Ethan.

I love the depth there. Our second team will destroy the opposition bench on most nights. But at the end of a close game and in tourney play, you need a dependable second scorer that you can count on to get their own shot and make it.

I think this team is 4th best in conference (Cincy, Memphis, Houston) this year with the two waivers. Get to the semis of the conference tourney. Hopefully sneak into the tourney to get experience before next season and is a one and done. Even without the waivers, I think they drop maybe a spot or two and finish behind Witchita and Temple, but still are a solid team and get into the NIT. We have Nic and a bunch of solid players, but Shake hasn't shown up yet as option number 2.

Next year, however, I'm pretty confident Hunt develops into that stud second scoring option and this team is 1-2 in conference and has a good chance of making a run in the NCAAs. We have a lot of options who might develop into that second scorer for next season, so odds are pretty good that it happens.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 pm

10 years ago when I bought my 1st season tickets for basketball there were very small crowds and zero atmosphere. But if you were a regular you could get pretty good seats for about a grand. It appears we're back to those same days but the seats are 4 times higher minus meatballs

And that's all I have to say about that.

I'm not sure this team will compete well with our conference mates . And they need to work on free throws which has never been a strong point.
One Trick Pony

Postby The Falcon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 pm

JasonB wrote:Ethan is playing like someone who knows they are losing their starting spot.

The length on the team is nice. It will help us defensively the entire season. We are going to have to play zone against smaller teams because we are going to get beat off the bounce by small guards. But so did the 30-5 team. I'm also going to upset people by stating that CJ is a nice rotational piece off the bench. Not a wasted scholarship at all.

The thing that is going to prevent us from competing at the top of the conference is a lack of a second scorer. Jolly has emerged as a number one. Mike, Hunt, Ethan are all number 3 scorers - solid players that can hit double digits on most nights. I love that. But we don't have a dependable number 2 option right now. I love watching Hunt and his energy, but he isn't that defined number 2 option yet.

Even if we get the two waivers, I think we are lacking a clear, reliable number two scoring option. McNeil is inconsistent, and Davis is a provider more than scorer.

Starters: Davis, Jolly, Hunt, Mike, Jasey
Second team: CJ, Bandoumel, McNeil, Ray, Ethan.

I love the depth there. Our second team will destroy the opposition bench on most nights. But at the end of a close game and in tourney play, you need a dependable second scorer that you can count on to get their own shot and make it.

I think this team is 4th best in conference (Cincy, Memphis, Houston) this year with the two waivers. Get to the semis of the conference tourney. Hopefully sneak into the tourney to get experience before next season and is a one and done. Even without the waivers, I think they drop maybe a spot or two and finish behind Witchita and Temple, but still are a solid team and get into the NIT. We have Nic and a bunch of solid players, but Shake hasn't shown up yet as option number 2.

Next year, however, I'm pretty confident Hunt develops into that stud second scoring option and this team is 1-2 in conference and has a good chance of making a run in the NCAAs. We have a lot of options who might develop into that second scorer for next season, so odds are pretty good that it happens.

I have an appreciation for your posts Jason, but I think it is much too soon to be making some of
the predictions you have posted here. We are winning is spite of shooting badly and I think our
shooting will improve with experience. I said a month ago after the open practice that Jolly would
be very good and CJ White would be much improved. I also was impressed with the play
of ERay and thought that Bandoumel and Jolly would be more than adequate at point. Having
said all of that our rebounding needs to improve & I think it will, and our 3 point shooting has to
get much better & I think it will. Our man to man defense needs to greatly improve. As much
as I don't like us playing zone I think it won the game for us tonight.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Stangster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Lavarticus Atkins (Voc) was there too.
Stangster

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:52 am

Tyson Jolly is a talent, no doubt about it. His shot selection has been excellent and he's hitting a high percentage of his shots through the 1st 2 games. I liked what I saw from Ray who might really help us on the defensive boards. Hunt is going to be special but at times gets a little out of control. Our zone was effective last night and Mike finally started hitting 3 pointers but otherwise we have not shown that we can shoot the trey very well. It will be interesting to see how this bunch fares against stronger competition. The upcoming road game at Evansville looks like it will be a real test.

Disappointing to see so few in attendance. The announced crowd of 3,665 suggests we have more than the 1500 buying season tickets.
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:03 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Tyson Jolly is a talent, no doubt about it. His shot selection has been excellent and he's hitting a high percentage of his shots through the 1st 2 games. I liked what I saw from Ray who might really help us on the defensive boards. Hunt is going to be special but at times gets a little out of control. Our zone was effective last night and Mike finally started hitting 3 pointers but otherwise we have not shown that we can shoot the trey very well. It will be interesting to see how this bunch fares against stronger competition. The upcoming road game at Evansville looks like it will be a real test.

Disappointing to see so few in attendance. The announced crowd of 3,665 suggests we have more than the 1500 buying season tickets.
The average season ticket holder has 3 seats.
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:12 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Disappointing to see so few in attendance. The announced crowd of 3,665 suggests we have more than the 1500 buying season tickets.

Wow. They were announcing 5600 last season so they lost another 2000 season tickets.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby skyscraper » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:48 am

The attendance is officially back to pre-LB era. We do what we do.
It's wayyyyyyyyyyy too soon to be declaring where we wind up in AAC play. So far we've been very inconsistent against mediocre competition.
skyscraper

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball