PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs. New Orleans

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs. New Orleans

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am

One Trick Pony wrote: ...the seats are 4 times higher minus meatballs.

:shock:
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:27 am

The Falcon wrote:
JasonB wrote:Ethan is playing like someone who knows they are losing their starting spot.

The length on the team is nice. It will help us defensively the entire season. We are going to have to play zone against smaller teams because we are going to get beat off the bounce by small guards. But so did the 30-5 team. I'm also going to upset people by stating that CJ is a nice rotational piece off the bench. Not a wasted scholarship at all.

The thing that is going to prevent us from competing at the top of the conference is a lack of a second scorer. Jolly has emerged as a number one. Mike, Hunt, Ethan are all number 3 scorers - solid players that can hit double digits on most nights. I love that. But we don't have a dependable number 2 option right now. I love watching Hunt and his energy, but he isn't that defined number 2 option yet.

Even if we get the two waivers, I think we are lacking a clear, reliable number two scoring option. McNeil is inconsistent, and Davis is a provider more than scorer.

Starters: Davis, Jolly, Hunt, Mike, Jasey
Second team: CJ, Bandoumel, McNeil, Ray, Ethan.

I love the depth there. Our second team will destroy the opposition bench on most nights. But at the end of a close game and in tourney play, you need a dependable second scorer that you can count on to get their own shot and make it.

I think this team is 4th best in conference (Cincy, Memphis, Houston) this year with the two waivers. Get to the semis of the conference tourney. Hopefully sneak into the tourney to get experience before next season and is a one and done. Even without the waivers, I think they drop maybe a spot or two and finish behind Witchita and Temple, but still are a solid team and get into the NIT. We have Nic and a bunch of solid players, but Shake hasn't shown up yet as option number 2.

Next year, however, I'm pretty confident Hunt develops into that stud second scoring option and this team is 1-2 in conference and has a good chance of making a run in the NCAAs. We have a lot of options who might develop into that second scorer for next season, so odds are pretty good that it happens.

I have an appreciation for your posts Jason, but I think it is much too soon to be making some of
the predictions you have posted here. We are winning is spite of shooting badly and I think our
shooting will improve with experience. I said a month ago after the open practice that Jolly would
be very good and CJ White would be much improved. I also was impressed with the play
of ERay and thought that Bandoumel and Jolly would be more than adequate at point. Having
said all of that our rebounding needs to improve & I think it will, and our 3 point shooting has to
get much better & I think it will. Our man to man defense needs to greatly improve. As much
as I don't like us playing zone I think it won the game for us tonight.

Totally get the skepticism about this being too early:). The three point shooting was a concern coming into the season. What I see is that CJ, Bandoumel, and Smith all have a good stroke. I think as they mature they will all be nice shooters from the outside. I think the 3 point shooting problem will go away after this season, if not later on in the season as those guys get their feet on the ground.

As far as the zone is concerned, I think we will get away with more man when Jasey as a shot blocker is in the game. That said, with the extended three point line and a long perimeter defense, zone isn't the worst approach in the world...
JasonB

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 am

Looking at some of the highlights does Hunt remind anyone of Jarray out there? That baseline drive and dunk reminded me of the one Foster did against Tulsa a few years back.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:30 am

Charleston Pony wrote: The announced crowd of 3,665 suggests we have more than the 1500 buying season tickets.

Total season tickets have basically been cut in half in just two seasons...
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am

Terry Webster wrote:Looking at some of the highlights does Hunt remind anyone of Jarray out there? That baseline drive and dunk reminded me of the one Foster did against Tulsa a few years back.

Obviously different body types and style of play, but absolutely. Announcers were gushing about Hunt so much they forgot to mention Mike and Jolly.
ponyboy

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 pm

skyscraper wrote:The attendance is officially back to pre-LB era. We do what we do.
It's wayyyyyyyyyyy too soon to be declaring where we wind up in AAC play. So far we've been very inconsistent against mediocre competition.

Totally agree it is down - but we are waaaaaay over pre LB still. That was crazy low.

The easiest thing to fix is the MOB. immediately dump the rules for seats and just go to first come first serve. Get the fraternities back in the loop on this. Somewhere along the way it lost all its punch and is borderline embarrassing.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Agreed. Open it back up. Give prizes for costumes.
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:41 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:The average season ticket holder has 3 seats.

had
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:The average season ticket holder has 3 seats.

had
I did it again lol
I went when no one cared , seats were cheap I'm back as a season ticket holder , no one cares AGAIN, and seats are expensive . I still enjoy it just like I used to. 4 grand for seats
You can buy on StubHub for $42

One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Or you can sit in the $7000 seats for 35 bucks take your choice.

One Trick Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball