PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It's official - we're a joke

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: It's official - we're a joke

Postby skyscraper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm

It's sad to see so many people buying the BS from Jank.
Savvy basketball consumers know what's really going on.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:When all you Mo fo's start flipping the bill you can have a real opinion lol.

https://youtu.be/6Ar6YHaH3zs
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:14 pm

skyscraper wrote:It's sad to see so many people buying the BS from Jank.

Savvy people like yourself, right?
ponyboy

Postby smitty329 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm

skyscraper wrote:It's sad to see so many people buying the BS from Jank.

A little help here please - I am not sure if Savvy Basketball Consumers (SBCs) have practical knowledge regarding purchasing or eating basketballs. Can we get a clarification on Consumption? Either way, I had no idea that was a thing.
smitty329
All-American

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:15 am

Well, there's nothing that can be done about the schedule now. So I suggest if you live within driving distance of campus, you get yourself over to Moody, make some noise, and support these hard working kids who are playing for the love of the game and not for politics. And try to have some fun while you are there.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 am

Some of our fans hate Jankovich a lot more than they care about SMU.
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:35 am

mustangxc wrote:Some of our fans hate Jankovich a lot more than they care about SMU.

I don't think that's the case. I think anyone who hates Tank can still support SMU. I simply think the criticism is driven by: past performance, the excuses, weak SOS and then people thinking because we are 8-0 makes us back on track.

The only way people, who do not like Tank, to get them back on board is to perform well against the conference and take care of business on OOC.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 am

mustangxc wrote:Some of our fans hate Jankovich a lot more than they care about SMU.

How about let’s just once hear him publicly say:

- “I love being at SMU.”
- “this is a great university and I’m proud to be the coach here.”
- “the future is bright and we are going to win championships.”
- “we have great fans and a great program, and we are going get back to the 2014-2017 level”
- “this can be the greatest environment in college basketball. I’m going to do my part and build a team that will compete for championships but you have to do your part and show up to the games.”

Also, maybe go speak to a student organization or two, and ask them to come support the team. At least appear like you give a damn. Lastly, never effing bring up sanctions, how you’re unable to practice and how tough a job this is ever again.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:09 am

Those are all valid points. I am on record saying I probably wouldn't have brought him back. He's back and has since upgraded the roster considerably. Yes, he made the weakest ooc schedule in all division I but at least we have won them all. I continue to want SMU to succeed regardless of who the coach is. The more we win, the more fans we should be able to attract. We also have to be realistic. Aside from Larry Brown, do you really think any of our other coaches were better than Jankovich in the last few decades? I don't want another Bliss that will bring about probation and scandal. Shumate had one good season and then was atrocious. Dement had a bunch of mediocre teams, which sadly was the high point up until Larry Brown. Tubbs in my view was a mistake from the start and was not given enough time to prove himself. Doherty did all the right things and couldn't make up his mind on a system and even then couldn't really coach. Brown was a gift from above that came with a heavy price and left soon after. Jankovich is not a great coach, but the way I see it is our best coach in the last several decades. If we let him go is there really a guarantee we would be any better off? History says we'd probably be worse off. I think this team has potential to make the NCAA tournament this season and an even better chance next season. That's pretty much all I'm asking for. Realistically what are your expectations for the program? I understand you don't like the guy. I don't like a lot of our coaches, but if they win then I really don't have much to complain about.
mustangxc

Postby smitty329 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:02 am

So much so, that they would post a thread titled "It's official - we're a joke" on a fans message board. They need to spend more time here: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/anger-management#1
smitty329
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:21 am

Remember when we were playing schools we never heard of and lost to them. At least we're winning games, Evansville turned out to be an RPI helper by accident. So, support the team, cheer them on and hope they do so well in conference that we get to the dance. If we finish in the Top 3 we should go dancing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby skyscraper » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Baffling how Sonny is showing all of us how to run a program the right way in all aspects and people on here either defend Jank or think he's the best we can do.
I totally support the players and SMU, but Jank isn't the university and he appears to give zero f's about the place paying him nearly $2M a year.
We do have some talent, which is why Jank's schedule is spitting in the player's faces. They will not have the OOC resume to earn an NCAA at-large bid. We've been through this before in 2014. They will have to win the conference tournament.
skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 pm

It’s a results-based decision coming.... in mid to late March.
So it’s all good.

I wanted him gone too. But damn I’m curious now.

You think he can pull it off? I really can’t even pretend to know right now.

Fasten your seatbelts.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm

I distinctly remember the ESPN broadcasting crew mentioning last year (after talking about our sanctions and inability to practice 5 on 5) that Jank's future with SMU was going to be based on an expectation of returning to the NCAA Tourney THIS YEAR. We will find out soon what this team really has but I agree that we aren't doomed by this non-conference schedule and I don't think winning the AAC Tourney and auto-bid is the only way we get an invite. I think the AAC looks strong enough that we could get 3-4 bids so the key will be to finish Top 3-4 and to get some quality wins along the way. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to beat Georgetown, Georgia and Vandy.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 pm

I think we need to run the table in ooc and then 12-6 in conference. The schedule sets up nicely for a possible 15-0 start. Our challenges along the way are Georgetown, at Georgia, at Vanderbilt. I think we lose at Houston, which is the 16th game of the season. If we manage to go 24-6 (12-6) I really think we get an at large bid. 12-6 in conference is very doable because the league gave us a weak conference slate.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball