PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We are as terrible as I thought

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We are as terrible as I thought

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:07 pm

The fact we take a break for finals shows we have no intention of ever being a real basketball school.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:11 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:The fact we take a break for finals shows we have no intention of ever being a real basketball school.

North Carolina would agree with that.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:13 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:The fact we take a break for finals shows we have no intention of ever being a real basketball school.

Interesting that Duke’s last game was December 6 and they don’t play again until December 19. Villanova played on December 7 has a game on Saturday the 14th and the next is on the 21st. guess they don’t have much commitment either with not loading up on games during finals.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:37 pm

PonySnob wrote:

Interesting that Duke’s last game was December 6 and they don’t play again until December 19. Villanova played on December 7 has a game on Saturday the 14th and the next is on the 21st. guess they don’t have much commitment either with not loading up on games during finals.

Yeah you are right. I was wrong. Sorry. I just hate going so long without games.

Interesting the two schools you mentioned are Duke and Villanova, which are our basketball peer schools.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:00 pm

1st game back after the long break has historically been ugly and we usually play some cupcake on that date. Having to play at Georgia sets the table for more Jank bashing and doom and gloom. Not sure how the naysayers will react if our guys can actually go into Athens and win that game. I really have no idea what to expect in that next game.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:1st game back after the long break has historically been ugly and we usually play some cupcake on that date. Having to play at Georgia sets the table for more Jank bashing and doom and gloom. Not sure how the naysayers will react if our guys can actually go into Athens and win that game. I really have no idea what to expect in that next game.

But they wont.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:40 am

Yesterday's results make it seem we are not as terrible as many of our fans seem to think. Then again, you can't judge the season on one game.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:49 am

mustangxc wrote:Yesterday's results make it seem we are not as terrible as many of our fans seem to think. Then again, you can't judge the season on one game.

Keep in mind that Vandy was the worst team in the SEC last year, but they certainly appear to be much improved under Jerry Stackhouse. I do think this SMU team is better than the doom and gloomers think but we do need more than 6 guys contributing significant minutes and right now, that's pretty much what we have. Really need Ray and Jasey to improve and add more to the low post or teams with talented bigs are going to kill us.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:31 am

I was referring to the win over Vanderbilt AND the Georgia win at Memphis AND the USF beatdown of UConn.
mustangxc

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:58 am

I say it every year. The only way to judge a season is when it’s over. Look at football. The team showed a lot of great characteristics last night and we just need to see where it goes.

Man that was fun though. Very glad I fought the urge to turn over to the NE game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Coaching Staff has had this team ready to play in just about every game- home and away- except for that horrible, no-good, atrocious performance against Georgetown and that night we just ran into a buzz-saw, sizzling basketball team. I felt SMU was the better team throughout the Georgia game that we simply fumbled away-several times. The biggest negative for this team's chances for the tournament in the next 2 years is that Jassey does not yet appear to be the tough, inside defender/rebounder that scouting reports suggested. Otherwise, I think this recruiting class will prove to be among the top recruiting classes-maybe top 5- in SMU history and I think if everybody stays, Jank will have recruited 3-4 kids who should, with natural development, be strong contenders for 1st or 2nd string All-AAC in the next 2 years. Mike, Jolly, Davis and Hunt. Not as bad as some paint the picture of his misses during the probation.

I think these guys at least deserve some support and let's see what they can accomplish. Now where to find a 6-11 big who can run the floor, defend the paint and protect the rim. We're a pretty strong rebounding team (No. 16 in the country)already which is encouraging. Most of those guys will be either rising Seniors in the 4th or even 5th years and will likely be graduate transfer eligible with immediate eligibility any where they may want to go. So you need to throw that factor into the equation

Here's the deal-if Jank wins 22-24 games there is no way in hell during the Transfer Portal Era that SMU will or should fire Jank with no seniors and a heavy upper-class because this program will implode before the next coach blows his whistle
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:50 pm

This team needs Yanick Moreira or at least Jordan Tolbert.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Jasey does not appear to be a very athletic big...of course that is by comparison with Chargois, Hunt and even Ray. Let's just hope he and Ray can improve a LOT as the season goes on because we this team really needs a post defender. This team can make some noise with guys like Mike, Hunt & Chargois who are athletic and can compete inside.
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:36 pm

I disagree- he is plenty athletic. I think Kasey will come arouind. He will never fill up the bucket on O as much as we like but on rebounding and D he will be critical down the stretch.
gostangs

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Yesterday's results make it seem we are not as terrible as many of our fans seem to think. Then again, you can't judge the season on one game.

Keep in mind that Vandy was the worst team in the SEC last year, but they certainly appear to be much improved under Jerry Stackhouse. I do think this SMU team is better than the doom and gloomers think but we do need more than 6 guys contributing significant minutes and right now, that's pretty much what we have. Really need Ray and Jasey to improve and add more to the low post or teams with talented bigs are going to kill us.

Not to be a buzzkill but: Vandy’s threes were almost all wide open and un-contested. Not sure that was the gameplan.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball