PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UPDATE: Tim Jankovich still sucks

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UPDATE: Tim Jankovich still sucks

Postby PonySnob » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:05 pm

So many similarities to June..........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:53 pm

PonySnob wrote:So many similarities to June..........

At least June built something up before destroying it.

Tim was handed a roster loaded with NBA talent three years ago and has proceeded to run this program into the ground with his laziness, incompetence, and complete lack of desire to do his job. Why is he still here?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:04 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:He’s a loser, he doesn’t care, he’s ruined our basketball program, and he’s laughing at how stupid we are for continuing to pay him.

Hey ECM- win that powerball and you can send the band and also payoff this clowns contract. His end won't come soon enough.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:58 pm

This personal attack crap is out of bounds. Seriously. Have a little integrity.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:58 am

ponyboy wrote:This personal attack crap is out of bounds. Seriously. Have a little integrity.

Many of us donate money to this athletic program. At a minimum, the head coach of our basketball team could (1) care about his job, (2) put some sort of effort into recruiting, and (3) not constantly whine and make excuses when we lose.
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:02 am

redpony wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:He’s a loser, he doesn’t care, he’s ruined our basketball program, and he’s laughing at how stupid we are for continuing to pay him.

Hey ECM- win that powerball and you can send the band and also payoff this clowns contract. His end won't come soon enough.

I’m trying!
East Coast Mustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:06 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:This personal attack crap is out of bounds. Seriously. Have a little integrity.

Many of us donate money to this athletic program. At a minimum, the head coach of our basketball team could (1) care about his job, (2) put some sort of effort into recruiting, and (3) not constantly whine and make excuses when we lose.

Results are all that matter.

At the end of the day, the AAC this year looks down. Houston and Cincy are not as good as they were supposed to be. Memphis and WSU are the only teams who look good enough to be in the NCAA tourney. I think it might be a two bid league. Just a lot of "meh" teams in the conference this year - not bad, but not good either. The only way a third team gets in is if the top three teams significantly distance themselves from the rest of the league.

Everyone takes a look at our lineup and realizes that Davis, Jolly, Hunt, and Mike are legit starters. Jasey is the unknown but his size and athleticism could turn this into a very, very good defensive team with length and athleticism on the perimeter and someone to clean up the messes in the middle. Ethan and Ray are really nice pieces off the bench at the 4/5 rotation. Band/White/Douglas off the bench aren't anything special, but there is some potential there. Band can shoot and White has shown significant improvement since last season.

With the conference down this year, I think a top 5 finish should be expected and will be required for Jank to keep his job. Minimum NIT level performance. He has the roster to get that done.
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:49 am

JasonB wrote:

Results are all that matter.

At the end of the day, the AAC this year looks down. Houston and Cincy are not as good as they were supposed to be. Memphis and WSU are the only teams who look good enough to be in the NCAA tourney. I think it might be a two bid league. Just a lot of "meh" teams in the conference this year - not bad, but not good either. The only way a third team gets in is if the top three teams significantly distance themselves from the rest of the league.

Everyone takes a look at our lineup and realizes that Davis, Jolly, Hunt, and Mike are legit starters. Jasey is the unknown but his size and athleticism could turn this into a very, very good defensive team with length and athleticism on the perimeter and someone to clean up the messes in the middle. Ethan and Ray are really nice pieces off the bench at the 4/5 rotation. Band/White/Douglas off the bench aren't anything special, but there is some potential there. Band can shoot and White has shown significant improvement since last season.

With the conference down this year, I think a top 5 finish should be expected and will be required for Jank to keep his job. Minimum NIT level performance. He has the roster to get that done.

Temple and UConn are both in good position for the tourney.
Temple: 7-2
Wins: at USC by 9, Texas A&M by 23, Davison by 12
Losses: #5 Maryland by 7, Missouri by 10

UConn: 6-3
Wins: #15 Florida by 3, Miami by 25
Losses: #18 Xavier by 1 in 2OTs, Indiana by 3 and St Joes by 11 (bad loss)

Temple has looked impressive the couple of times I’ve seen them play. I watched all of the UConn/Florida game and they out classed a really good SEC team, just like Memphis did to Tennessee Saturday.

I agree the AAC is a little down, CIncy and UH in particular, but I still think the league gets at least three bids.

As for SMU, I think it will take a top 5 finish to get a bid to the NIT, which Jank needs to save his job. When most discuss the better teams in the AAC anymore we aren’t even mentioned. It is UH, Memphis, Cincy, UConn, WSU and Temple. That is what happens when you have two consecutive sub .500 seasons, then schedule a bunch of cupcakes and get ran out of your own building to the first decent team you play. There isn’t much reason to be optimistic.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby smitty329 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 pm

So what you are suggesting is someone with Chad Morris' personality? (1) Used Red Bull to fuel his passion for the job (2) Let you know constantly he was flying around in a helicopter and in people's living rooms (3) always talked about the positives in those 2 - 10 and 5 - 7 seasons. How did that work out for you? Coaches are people too and have different personalities.

Thousands donate to the program and don't/should not have influence over the administrative decisions. Unless you are about to be hired for the Athletic Director position where you can actually do something about the Head Basketball coach, I suggest you find something to do with all this anger and aggression that will actually benefit the school or society as a whole. Pick up acorns on the boulevard, clean the gum off the underside of the bleachers in Moody, or shake the hell out of the bell at a Salvation Army kettle near you.

Peace.
smitty329
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:31 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:As for SMU, I think it will take a top 5 finish to get a bid to the NIT, which Jank needs to save his job. When most discuss the better teams in the AAC anymore we aren’t even mentioned. It is UH, Memphis, Cincy, UConn, WSU and Temple. That is what happens when you have two consecutive sub .500 seasons, then schedule a bunch of cupcakes and get ran out of your own building to the first decent team you play. There isn’t much reason to be optimistic.

LA, lots of posters said tank would be fired last year if he didn’t take his team to the tourney. Well he didn’t, he didn’t even have a winning record, yet he survived, so I don’t know how anyone can say with any degree of confidence what will happen to him this year. The cupcake schedule doesn’t bother me near as much as his recruiting....just saying.

And for those of you who compare tank to tiki, I think my posts show I was a very early critic of tiki and also one of his harshest. That said, we will never know how tiki would have performed at SMU if he was playing in front of a sold out, loud, crazy intimidating Ford Stadium. We do know how tank performed.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:37 pm

JasonB wrote:Ethan and Ray are really nice pieces off the bench at the 4/5 rotation. Band/White/Douglas off the bench aren't anything special, but there is some potential there.

Jason, this is why you richly deserve your sunshine label.

Of the 5 players you mention, I would argue only 1, Ethan, would be on a LB team, and he would be a much better, well-rounded player than he is today. If he was the same player under LB that he is today under tank, he most likely would transfer out.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:Ethan and Ray are really nice pieces off the bench at the 4/5 rotation. Band/White/Douglas off the bench aren't anything special, but there is some potential there.

Jason, this is why you richly deserve your sunshine label.

Of the 5 players you mention, I would argue only 1, Ethan, would be on a LB team, and he would be a much better, well-rounded player than he is today. If he was the same player under LB that he is today under tank, he most likely would transfer out.

My only reason for optimism is that we have more Larry Brown type players this season than we did last season. Still not enough but at least we are better.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:59 pm

And it's hardly a revelation that one of the top 10 coaches in NCAA basketball history would do better than the 4200-some-odd other coaches in history. I hope Jank is the right guy. All of you should too. He's got the biggest shoes to fill one could possibly imagine.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:15 pm

smitty329 wrote:

So what you are suggesting is someone with Chad Morris' personality? (1) Used Red Bull to fuel his passion for the job (2) Let you know constantly he was flying around in a helicopter and in people's living rooms (3) always talked about the positives in those 2 - 10 and 5 - 7 seasons. How did that work out for you? Coaches are people too and have different personalities.

Thousands donate to the program and don't/should not have influence over the administrative decisions. Unless you are about to be hired for the Athletic Director position where you can actually do something about the Head Basketball coach, I suggest you find something to do with all this anger and aggression that will actually benefit the school or society as a whole. Pick up acorns on the boulevard, clean the gum off the underside of the bleachers in Moody, or shake the hell out of the bell at a Salvation Army kettle near you.

Peace.

You seem like someone who accepts mediocrity with regularity. It’s OK, a lot of people do.
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:22 pm

ponyboy wrote:And it's hardly a revelation that one of the top 10 coaches in NCAA basketball history would do better than the 4200-some-odd other coaches in history. I hope Jank is the right guy. All of you should too. He's got the biggest shoes to fill one could possibly imagine.

Please open your eyes and quit being so soft.

Jank knew he had scholarship limitations and still accepted commitments from guys with offer lists that looked like this:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jahmar-You ... ol-203777/
https://247sports.com/Player/Curtis-Whi ... ol-217953/
https://247sports.com/Player/Darius-McB ... ol-227407/

Oh, and there’s a guard back on scholarship for his junior year despite shooting under 20% for his career from 2pt range.

Are you OK with this?
East Coast Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball