PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs. UCF thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs. UCF thread

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Last edited by mrydel on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU vs. UCF thread

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:02 pm

I am sure the pro SMU gamblers are not happy with the last turnover allowing UCF to beat the 7.5 spread.
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:08 pm

I hate it that the game ended on that sloppy TO by Davis. But we won and that the best part.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 pm

mrydel wrote:I am sure the pro SMU gamblers are not happy with the last turnover allowing UCF to beat the 7.5 spread.

I've NEVER been comfortable betting college hoops games. Three point shot makes it a crap shoot. UCF's transfer from Bill & Mary was hot tonight. Thought for a while he was not going to miss but fortunately he cooled off late.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony81 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Kendric Davis is quite a player. He is the key to our season.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 am

Davis has to play 2 more games to hit the 75% NCAA Stat minimum of games played-but he should enter the national stats at about 6th-7th in the country. Nic Moore had a Career Assists of 5.1 per game. Davis is at about 7.3 per game in his Sophomore season. Add in his 16+ ppg and he's accounting for a minimum 31 ppg (and probably more like 35 ppg since many assists were for 3 pointers). He's worth the price of admission

Billy Allen is the only SMU player with a better Career Assists per game at about 9.0 assists per game but that was a fast break offense under Sonny Allen

I really don't know what SMU was doing in the first half when they had Davis repeatedly playing off ball in right corner for so long in the first half. He rarely touched the ball during those sets. It sure didn't work out well for SMU as our offense bogged down. Davis pretty much ran the show in the 2nd half and we played much better
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:27 am

I agree Stallion, at halftime I was going to remark that they need to involve Davis more in the offense with more touches but saw he was scoring quite a bit. With Davis, his impact is much more beyond scoring. If we want to be the team we all want to see the offense has to run through him.
mustangxc

Postby PonyLaw90 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:02 am

Watching Feron Hunt grow before our eyes is a thing of beauty. His breakaway finger roll was reminiscent of Julius Erving!
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 am

PonyLaw90 wrote:Watching Feron Hunt grow before our eyes is a thing of beauty. His breakaway finger roll was reminiscent of Julius Erving!

Got a kick out of the announcer calling Hunt "plastic man" (although it could have been rubber man) as a reference to how he could stretch the lane and reach beyond the defenders on those finger roll layups taking off from just inside the FT stripe
Charleston Pony

Postby horsemanx » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am

mrydel wrote:I am sure the pro SMU gamblers are not happy with the last turnover allowing UCF to beat the 7.5 spread.

I don't think it was intentional though.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 am

horsemanx wrote:

I don't think it was intentional though.

I certainly did not mean to imply that.
mrydel

Postby Pony81 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 am

Thanks for the insight on KEndric, Stallion. Jank Surely sees that he needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible. We are a much better offense when he is running the show.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 am

That block my Mike that led to Hunts layup was amazing. Great timing.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:27 am

I think they are starting to do some load management with Davis in the first half of games to make sure he is available to close the game well.

Our offense is good enough to score against a good defense. Really important trait to succeed in the league.

However, defensively we are really struggling. We don't have thickness at the 3 and 4. At the 5, Jasey really had a hard time figuring out the zone His player would show at the free throw line, and he didn't know if he should come out or stay back.

If the defense can come together, games like last night will become blowouts and SMU can make a run at the conference. Just not sure how probable that is...
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:53 am

JasonB wrote:If the defense can come together, games like last night will become blowouts and SMU can make a run at the conference. Just not sure how probable that is...

I keep thinking our defense will improve with all of the five-on-five practices.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball