PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some ECU Perspective

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Some ECU Perspective

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:45 pm

for everyone gnashing their teeth, wondering how SMU possibly lost, thinking the sky has fallen, calling for tank's head, here is some info on ECU you might find interesting.

This from their ECU 24/7 site:

East Carolina’s basketball team had quite the offseason roster overhaul under head coach Joe Dooley, bringing in 11 new scholarship players to join returning pieces Jayden Gardner and Seth LeDay, two of the team’s top scorers from a year ago.

The Pirates’ 2019 recruiting class was ranked one of the top units in the American Athletic Conference, as second-year head coach Joe Dooley and his coaching staff are looking to upgrade the roster to better fit the talent they will see on a nightly basis in the league. Of the 11 scholarship newcomers, seven are from the junior college ranks. The other four are freshmen.

ECU's starting 5 today:

Jayden Gardner - 19 offers including Penn St
Brandon Suggs - offers from Auburn, GA Tech and Texas A&M
Charles Coleman - 21 offers including Duke, LSU, OU, Pitt, Georgia, Wake Forest, Cincy & UConn
Tyrie Jackson - transfer from Virginia Tech
Tremont Robinson-White - offers from Auburn and Cal

Their coach, Joe Dooley, has out recruited our coach, with HS recruits.

We should have won today, but on the road, it is no surprise our team didn't. The teams tankovich has assembled over these past few years have never been good and never will be.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Some ECU Perspective

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Jayden Gardner is the real deal. He had 20 points tonight. I believe he leads the AAC in scoring.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Just so sad to see teams like East Carolina using the advantage of being in The American to make significant progress and the Ponies miserably flailing.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Just so sad to see teams like East Carolina using the advantage of being in The American to make significant progress and the Ponies miserably flailing.

Hopefully David Miller isn’t happy
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby JasonB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:28 pm

What happened? I watched the first half and was feeling great and couldn't watch the second because of prior committments
JasonB

Postby ponyswim » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:43 pm

I think Jank got it right on his post game show.
We were very focused and very good in the first half, in spite of not very good shooting.
In the second half we were I think "arrogant" - thinking we were better than we were.
The Feron defense of 3's where you look at someone from 5 feet away and hope they miss, sometimes spread to others.
1-15 from 3 for Davis, Jolly, and Chargois.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Did anyone else catch the announcer saying that SMU is a lock for the Tourney?
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:32 pm

ponyboy wrote:Did anyone else catch the announcer saying that SMU is a lock for the Tourney?

Must have been a reference to the AAC Tourney :) All I heard was that one of the announcers during the Houston/Tulsa game thought WSU, Memphis and Houston were all locks for the tourney but that the AAC might get more in depending on how the season played out.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 pm

They said several times that SMU was a tournament team. I wonder if they questioned themselves afterwards?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 pm

I saw on one game (don't remember which one) they showed a graphic with five potential American tournament teams (Memphis, Wichita State, Houston, Connecticut, Temple) - and SMU as the surprise team.

I wasn't sure if they meant a good surprise or a bad surprise though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby docabel » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:19 am

ponyboy wrote:Did anyone else catch the announcer saying that SMU is a lock for the Tourney?

You are correct... however, the same announcer spewed on about what a great coach Jank is and also repeated the Jank narrative about only being able to practice 2on2 or 3on3 in the years we were on probation for covering up a murder (sorry, wrong team reference)
docabel
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 am

We are all pretty much full of doom and gloom after losing to ECU, a team we were 15-4 against including having beaten them the last 10 times we played. I will admit to fearing this game because of how tough ECU played at Wichita State. I certainly hope they are a much better team than we have given them credit for.

I do believe we are in trouble headed down to Houston this week to play a Cougar team that lost at Tulsa so I expect to get their best in a hostile environment. It's going to be really important to win the next 2 home games vs Temple and ECU before having to travel to Memphis. I'm not expecting many road wins from this team but if we can't defend Moody it could become a long miserable season.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 am

It's plain and simple. Losing to ECU in a high school gym is a criminal offense.
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:54 am

Pony ^ wrote:It's plain and simple. Losing to ECU in a high school gym is a criminal offense.

I will wait to see how the season plays out before agreeing with that assessment. Might be right. Hope you're wrong.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:58 pm

If all goes well the ECU loss will be the game that keeps us from making the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Basketball