PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trajectory of SMU Basketball

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Trajectory of SMU Basketball

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:41 am

But being able to practice 5 on 5 against zone defense should make this one no problem.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:34 am

Tulane has a less than acceptable out of date High School gym. Even a small crowd of devoted TU fans can make the place loud and rock. We do have issues playing in NOLA for some reason. Even the great LB teams had to work hard for a road win at TU. I do think there is a level of maturity developing with SMU. Hard lessons with hard loses tend to do that. I do think we can win this game but nothing is a given.
ponyte

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:57 am

Tulane has beaten Cincy and Temple this season, so they are capbile.

They haven't scored over 70 points in a game this season since the Concy game, 10 games ago.

If we manage to get to 70, we will win. If we have the road offense from Cincy, Houston, or ECU, we won't.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am

I am definitely ready to put it on Tulane.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:47 am

And the roller coaster ride that is SMU basketball continues! These next 3 games with Tulsa, Memphis and Wichita State will determine whether this season (at least the regular season) is going to be considered a success or not. Win all 3 and regardless of what happens in Florida, I will consider it to have been a successful season with only one loss at Moody and no worse than an 11-7 conference record. I fully expect another loss at Tulsa but at this point I just have no idea what to expect from this team night after night.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:12 am

My expectation was to finish top 4 or 5 in conference this season. We will meet that expectation, but it is still disappointing to suffer two tier 3 losses.
JasonB

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 pm

how the hell do you lose to Tulane and ECU. Fireable offense.
Pony ^

Postby redpony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:08 pm

and what is even worse is that the money men will be happy with our crappy performances and let tankovich return next year so he can drive this program further into the ground just so they don't have to step up and do what should have been done last year- get a new coach who will embrace the university, recruit and care enough to build a top level program.
god I miss LB.
redpony

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:53 pm

redpony wrote:and what is even worse is that the money men will be happy with our crappy performances and let tankovich return next year so he can drive this program further into the ground just so they don't have to step up and do what should have been done last year- get a new coach who will embrace the university, recruit and care enough to build a top level program.
god I miss LB.

You mean the money men won’t spend millions of $ to make you happy? How rude!!

But it’s also important to keep loving that man that denied Nic Moore another shot at the NCAAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
You mean the money men won’t spend millions of $ to make you happy? How rude!!

But it’s also important to keep loving that man that denied Nic Moore another shot at the NCAAs.

if you want to play big shot then don't hide when it is expected of you to step up and help a dying program. or as said before- if you want your name in big lights once in a while you have to pay to replace a few burned out bulbs.

Regarding LB. yes, he caused us some problems. And they might have been alleviated if we had an admin. with some cajones instead of just always rolling over and taking it in the backside. I suspect what we did was no worse than what happens at KY, Louisville, Duke, NC, NC state and many others. Yet those other schools lawyer up and challenge the ncaa instead of automatically playing dead. JMHO.
redpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Maybe I am a bit misguided, but I would like to think SMU is at a point where we would never lose to the last place team in the conference under any circumstances - home, road, injuries, suspensions, travel issues - whatever. I sure thought we were there.

I wonder what our peer schools Duke and Villanova would do.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 pm

You're DELUSIONAL :!: :!:

Duke and Villanova are not our PEER basketball schools :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:58 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Maybe I am a bit misguided, but I would like to think SMU is at a point where we would never lose to the last place team in the conference under any circumstances - home, road, injuries, suspensions, travel issues - whatever. I sure thought we were there.

I wonder what our peer schools Duke and Villanova would do.

Our peer is Cincy. Are they firing their coach after 4 Q3 losses? What is Memphis doing with Penny? Look around college basketball this year. Kentucky lost to Evansville at HOME. UNC has a losing record. Virginia may not make the tourney. Auburn went on the road and lost to Georgia. Between transfers and rule changes, things are just weird right now. Lots of inconsistency.

I expect a talented team with low court experience to blow leads and struggle at times on the road. It is frustrating, but it is reality. That is why I expected a top 4/5 finish instead of a top 1 finish this season. Next year I expect an NCAA bid and a top two finish as they get more experience.

Again, I understand the frustrations with Jank, but at the same time, at this point, the team is meeting expectations this season. They still have a chance to blow everything and finish .500 in league and miss out on the NIT. That would underperform. They also have a chance to finish second in the league. That would overperform. Judge the results and get outside of your hatred for the person.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Cincy and Memphis both have recent coaching changes so, regardless of how good they might actually be, Brannen and Penny get a pass this year. The rest of the schools jason mentions all have serious recent success.

Jank doesn’t get a pass for being new and SMU has zero recent success at the National level so, sorry, every one of those comparisons are invalid. That being said it looks pretty likely that SMU will finish almost exactly where my expectations were: 4-7th place in conference with a possible NIT bid.

However, the cupcake win-padding schedule coupled with the way this team LOST games they lost amount to a no-confidence vote on the current coach. IMHO he is a career under-achiever who will rarely, if ever, get the best out of his teams regardless of the talent level. He’s not a good coach.

Unfortunately, he is very good at dodging bullets and I do think he returns next year. These are his guys and assuming he can keep the best 5-6 he has a legitimate (to most people) case to return. If that’s case here are what my expectations would be:
1) Clean the dead wood off the end of the bench and add one starting piece (a big) and one who can spell Davis. McNeil may be that guy. SORRY.... It's definitely not CJ.
2) Get us an OOC schedule worthy of an NCAA TOURNEY team and get the team to a legit holiday tourney. This is non-negotiable for both recruiting and fan support.
3) Finish top 2 in conference, top 3 if the AAC is REALLY GOOD
4) get to the big dance and win a game or more.

I think these are realistic expectations. I also expect Jank to fail. Not miserably.... just in his classic under-achieving way.

One more thing: If there is a guy (let’s say Beilin) who is available, willing and able I’d blow this $h!t$how up in 30 seconds.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:39 pm

All it takes is for this SMU team to go on the road for the trajectory to point downwards in a hurry. Only question now is whether they can defend Moody because I fully expect 1 or 2 losses to end the season at UCF and USF. Will need to split the last 4 games to finish 10-8 and 20-10 and I think it will take at least two wins in the AAC Tourney and a 22-11 finish to even be considered for any post season invitation
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball