PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs Temple game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU vs Temple game thread

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Credit the staff for the halftime adjustments. The second half offense and defense was terrific.

It is clear that when we are flat on the perimeter, we struggle to shoot. When we score on drives and close to the basket and force teams to help, we can nail open threes. Have to get that inside and drive game going straight away for the offense to click.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm

I think it is clear when Jolly plays at a high level we are pretty good.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyte » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 am

One difference between LB and Jank is LB was more about an establish the inside offense first start where Yank is more diverse allowing early 3s. I like the establish the inside game first and it appears Yank took note with that adjustment at half. I hope going forward we try more inside game early and a few less 3s to start a game.
ponyte

Postby bubba pony » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am

it appears to me, Jank's allowance of quick 3 point shots is while there is still lots of time on the shot clock. teammates are not under the basket for the offensive rebound. percentage wise, the 3 point shot usually misses and the opponent brings the ball back quickly. LB had a good defense because he cherished the ball procession and wanted to work the ball inside.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 am

I agree with that but I remember reading gripes when we would make 3 three pointers to our opponents 12.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:05 am

The best combination was a Larry Brown coached team led by Tim Jankovich. They had the discipline internalized by Larry Brown in practice and then knew when to execute in games. With Larry on the sideline they were more gun-shy but with Jank it opened things up a bit. I wish Jankovich would be more disciplined in practice. If he could do that this team would be better.
mustangxc

Postby horsemanx » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 am

mustangxc wrote:I wish Jankovich would be more disciplined in practice. If he could do that this team would be better.

I still think the defense will continue to get better through the remainder of the season.

You have to remember we went over a year without being able to practice five-on-five because of injuries and sanctions. I am hopeful the integration of the new players on defense will improve now that we can finally practice five-on-five again.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby indianmustang » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 am

lets try to get into NIT
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:07 pm

horsemanx wrote:You have to remember we went over a year without being able to practice five-on-five because of injuries and sanctions. I am hopeful the integration of the new players on defense will improve now that we can finally practice five-on-five again.

Is that you Jankovich?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 pm

Biggest difference is that we don't have a high post "Point Forward" like Ben Moore distributing the ball-we don't even run that any more-do we? Maybe we do but they are so inferior to Ben Moore you don't notice it. Definitely a deficit of interior passing-unfortunately the ball sticks there when it is thrown to Chagois or Jassey-usually results in turnover especially when Chagois decides to dribble
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Stallion wrote:Biggest difference is that we don't have a high post "Point Forward" like Ben Moore distributing the ball-we don't even run that any more-do we? Maybe we do but they are so inferior to Ben Moore you don't notice it. Definitely a deficit of interior passing-unfortunately the ball sticks there when it is thrown to Chagois or Jassey-usually results in turnover especially when Chagois decides to dribble

A couple of games ago, we tried Hunt at that spot to mixed success. He made some jumpers, but his passing isn't what Ben did.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:46 pm

JasonB wrote:
Stallion wrote:Biggest difference is that we don't have a high post "Point Forward" like Ben Moore distributing the ball-we don't even run that any more-do we? Maybe we do but they are so inferior to Ben Moore you don't notice it. Definitely a deficit of interior passing-unfortunately the ball sticks there when it is thrown to Chagois or Jassey-usually results in turnover especially when Chagois decides to dribble

A couple of games ago, we tried Hunt at that spot to mixed success. He made some jumpers, but his passing isn't what Ben did.

I noticed that with Hunt also and he seemed to have a "score 1st" approach when he got the ball in the paint, but that's not a bad thing if you can consistently knock down those shots. Do that, and the baseline and wings can open up for others as defensive help collapses to the middle. Ben Moore and Markus Kennedy were both better in the post than anyone on the current roster.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:10 am

Oh absolutely. What I would do to add MK to this team.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Basketball