PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Full circle - back to the 1500

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Full circle - back to the 1500

Postby ponypatrick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:46 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Your head coach has to be a salesperson, especially at a school like SMU. Tell the fans how good you’re going to be and that you’re going to win big, soon. You have to act like you love this job and love the school. Even though he was a legend, LB was all about selling SMU and Dallas. It never was about him or the his job, it was always about the school and the program. This coach doesn’t believe that is part of the job. Instead, constantly telling fans and anyone who will listen how tough his job is because of (insert excuse here) doesn’t inspire you to jump in your car and drive to Moody with the family. It does the complete opposite.

BULLSEYE !!!!!!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby The Falcon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 pm

I took 3 other people with me last night and my estimate of the crowd is that
there were between 2500 and 3,000. I remember thinking that it was fairly good
considering 40 degree temp and light rain. I was disappointed in the student attendance.
ECU isn't much of a draw in Dallas, but I think they are improving and have a few very good
players.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:57 pm

3,000 people would mean the building was almost half full. It wasn't even close to that. Some of y'all are terrible at estimating crowds.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Falcon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 pm

Some of you are even worse at estimating crowd size.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:44 pm

The Thrill Is Gone
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Caballo wrote:I gave up my season tickets due to the reseat.

^^^^
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Think I'll move the money over to the football side
One Trick Pony

Postby smitty329 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:21 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Your head coach has to be a salesperson, especially at a school like SMU. Tell the fans how good you’re going to be and that you’re going to win big, soon. You have to act like you love this job and love the school. Even though he was a legend, LB was all about selling SMU and Dallas. It never was about him or the his job, it was always about the school and the program. This coach doesn’t believe that is part of the job. Instead, constantly telling fans and anyone who will listen how tough his job is because of (insert excuse here) doesn’t inspire you to jump in your car and drive to Moody with the family. It does the complete opposite.

BULLSEYE !!!!!!!

I thought Larry was about the kids (student athletes).

Garrett moved to Jersey and who knows where Romo is these days. It will take top 25 for the swells to return/prioritize over other Dallas events. Same with half the students that were not here for the MOB days and at this point prioritize Friends reruns on Netflix vs the game. Will be interesting to see how many show for the first quality match-up on a Saturday.
smitty329
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 am

No more Jarrey on the screen with his hand to his ear saying, “I can’t hear you.”
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 am

we are seeing the results of an AD who decided we were now on a par with Duke, KY, Louisville and the other bluebloods and felt he should price our seating arrangements in accordance with their prices.
In addition, he and the incompetent coach scheduled games with 'nothing' schools so the coach could pad his record and try to save his job. Most fans were tired of the excuses and losing, hence we now have few fans who care to watch our bball program.
Perhaps when we have a new coach who will engage the students, promote the school and provide an exciting and winning schedule the fans will return.
redpony

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:31 am

The fun of college basketball is seeing the students going nuts. I think the biggest difference in energy level disappeared when they made dumb rules about the Mob which turned it from cool into fool.

It appears those rules have been lifted - and if that is the case they need to make sure the students (especially the frat rats who can get loud and obnoxious) know they can actually get a decent seat and are welcome again even if they didn't go to 7 girls volleyball games.
gostangs

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 am

you can thank Rick "lapboy" Hart. I had season tickets for years and haven't been to a game in 2 years. Not only did he alienate the loyal fans, he installed a worthless student point system and alienated them as well. He will go down as one of the worst.

I will return when he's gone.
Pony ^

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:10 am

Pony ^ wrote:you can thank Rick "lapboy" Hart. I had season tickets for years and haven't been to a game in 2 years. Not only did he alienate the loyal fans, he installed a worthless student point system and alienated them as well. He will go down as one of the worst.

He could write a book about how to totally destroy a great college basketball environment.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:24 am

Good one. I got it.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Crowds were larger, rowdier, and more students showed back in the Dement years for games against Tulsa, Fresno State, Texas Tech, etc.

ECU has something to do with it - but this is getting back to the 1500 core as suggested in the original post.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball