PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs Cincinnati game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU vs Cincinnati game thread

Postby ponyte » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am

The announcers kept saying SMU was a young team. Man, did it show. Cincy put D pressure on and the kids reverted to schoolyard basketball. Two passes and a three pointer shot. This will be a excellent game film to learn about beating D pressure. The SMU squad did look rattled on offense.

The D on the other hand did a good job despite no offense. Causedd a lot of turnovers and made Cincy work hard for shots. It ws the only thing that kept us in the game for as long as we did. That was one bright spot.

Learn for this game. Gain some maturity. Put it behind and move on to improving for the next game.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Zman89 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 am

Ponies seem to never play well at Cincy, The 3 years we went to watch Nic there was damn awful to this day his mom hates the Bearcats.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:38 am

ponyte wrote:Two passes and a three pointer shot.

That is the Jank offense, has nothing to do with being young.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 am

we suck again.
Pony ^

Postby redpony » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 am

this game was just a good example of what happens when you schedule 'push over' OOC games to save a coaches job and then have to play real teams.
redpony

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am

Keep jacking up those 3s.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am

I was at the game and one of things that was really apparent was that Cinci's height and length took Davis completely out of the game. He couldn't shoot from the outside and whenever he drove the lane there was someone there to keep him out. Cinci did a great job scouting us and played a great game. Wonder when the last time Davis didn't score a point in a game.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:35 am

Terry Webster wrote:I was at the game and one of things that was really apparent was that Cinci's height and length took Davis completely out of the game. He couldn't shoot from the outside and whenever he drove the lane there was someone there to keep him out. Cinci did a great job scouting us and played a great game. Wonder when the last time Davis didn't score a point in a game.
I'd say their plan worked Haha
One Trick Pony

Postby horsemanx » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 am

A lot of the shortcomings we saw last night on the defensive end are likely a result of not being able to practice five-on-five last year because of the injuries and sanctions. Our defense has been improving throughout this season, but Coach Jankovich really hasn’t had the time to fully implement the defensive schemes necessary against a physical team like Cincinnati.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 pm

skyscraper wrote:Was hopeful Memphis was the start of a massive surprise for all of us.
Instead, tonight was a reminder that we cannot handle quality competition. We looked terrible in every part of the game. Never a good sign when CJ White is your silver lining.

Memphis win was "fools gold". We beat an All-American high school team that was in a fragile mental
condition from the Tulsa blow-out game. When we started chipping away at the lead , Memphis fell apart .
We have a team with some talented players that could challenge the upper echelon AAC teams if they had
a coach.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Pony ^ wrote:we suck again.

I wouldn't say suck, but I suspect too many made too big a deal out of our win at Memphis as they had just lost by 40 freakin points at #65 ranked Tulsa.

This Cincy team is OK, but very subpar by their standards.

We are a middle-of-the-road team that will have its moments, both good and bad. Against a truly quality opponent, which we will not play all season, we would get totally exposed.

There are 100 teams going to the NCAA / NIT this year. We are a bubble NIT team, in large part to our OOC schedule.

I say tank returns next season, but we would be idiots to extend him.
SoCal_Pony

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Yesterday also answered a question I had, which is that Memphis appears to be in the middle of a total meltdown and the AAC could wind up sending just two teams to the NCAA - WSU and Houston.
skyscraper

Postby PonyLaw90 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm

We were exactly who Cincy thought we were. Young, undisciplined and for the most part, untested.
Where was Jolly’s dominance, Feron’s ferocious dunks, Bam’s deft quickness on the sideline, Jasey’s wide body grabbing rebounds. (Shaking my head)...,,

Our “stars” were no match for Cincy’s athleticism and speed.

On the positive side, we have a beautiful campus and live in Texas.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:39 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:We were exactly who Cincy thought we were. Young, undisciplined and for the most part, untested.
Where was Jolly’s dominance, Feron’s ferocious dunks, Bam’s deft quickness on the sideline, Jasey’s wide body grabbing rebounds. (Shaking my head)...,,

Our “stars” were no match for Cincy’s athleticism and speed.

On the positive side, we have a beautiful campus and live in Texas.

and BBQ
and Tex-Mex
and gorgeous women.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:08 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:we suck again.

I wouldn't say suck, but I suspect too many made too big a deal out of our win at Memphis as they had just lost by 40 freakin points at #65 ranked Tulsa.

This Cincy team is OK, but very subpar by their standards.

We are a middle-of-the-road team that will have its moments, both good and bad. Against a truly quality opponent, which we will not play all season, we would get totally exposed.

There are 100 teams going to the NCAA / NIT this year. We are a bubble NIT team, in large part to our OOC schedule.

I say tank returns next season, but we would be idiots to extend him.

We are a bubble NIT team, but not because of the OOC schedule.

We are a bubble NIT team because we haven't shown that we are good enough to be ranked higher than that.

Even if our team faced stronger competition in the OOC, would we have won those games? How would we be in a better spot?

Cincy is finding their groove in their new system, and the conference is difficult to win on the road.

We have two losses left to get into the NIT. 1 to make the NCAA. 3 puts us on the NIT bubble.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball