PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs Cincinnati game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU vs Cincinnati game thread

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:41 pm

JasonB wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:we suck again.

I wouldn't say suck, but I suspect too many made too big a deal out of our win at Memphis as they had just lost by 40 freakin points at #65 ranked Tulsa.

This Cincy team is OK, but very subpar by their standards.

We are a middle-of-the-road team that will have its moments, both good and bad. Against a truly quality opponent, which we will not play all season, we would get totally exposed.

There are 100 teams going to the NCAA / NIT this year. We are a bubble NIT team, in large part to our OOC schedule.

I say tank returns next season, but we would be idiots to extend him.

We are a bubble NIT team, but not because of the OOC schedule.

We are a bubble NIT team because we haven't shown that we are good enough to be ranked higher than that.

Even if our team faced stronger competition in the OOC, would we have won those games? How would we be in a better spot?

Cincy is finding their groove in their new system, and the conference is difficult to win on the road.

We have two losses left to get into the NIT. 1 to make the NCAA. 3 puts us on the NIT bubble.

Jason, you confirmed my point in your own post by saying, ‘We have 2 losses to get into the NIT, 3 puts us on the bubble’.

My belief is that if we had a decent OOC schedule, we already would have lost those 2 or 3 games you speak of, ergo my point that we are a bubble team because of our scheduling.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby fan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:46 pm

Zman89 wrote:Ponies seem to never play well at Cincy, The 3 years we went to watch Nic there was damn awful to this day his mom hates the Bearcats.

Hey Z man-- thanks a bunch for visiting the forum. Hope Nic is doing well!!
fan
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Zman89 wrote:Ponies seem to never play well at Cincy, The 3 years we went to watch Nic there was damn awful to this day his mom hates the Bearcats.

And don't forget the following year when Sterling's shot for the lead with a few seconds left went about as far down the basket before spinning out. I just about lost it.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:52 am

This Cincinnati team isn't nearly as tough as the 2013-2014 team and I don't recall losing to them by 20+ points. In fact, I don't recall a LB team losing to anyone by 20 points.

If our 3's are falling then we can beat anyone in this conference, but that isn't a winning strategy for championships and making the tourney.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball