PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:16 pm

That's the only way something is done about Jank. Little Ricky Hart, has no power. We need someone, that will Make the Mustangs Great Again!
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:13 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:That's the only way something is done about Jank. Little Ricky Hart, has no power. We need someone, that will Make the Mustangs Great Again!

We won't know till the end of the season. :oops:
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:50 pm

I thought the deterioration of the program last year would cause a change, but now I’m convinced they are happy to just be good. The NCAA castrated SMU with the death penalty and they’ve never grown back. Our leaders are eunuchs.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:06 pm

Hop Sing wrote:I thought the deterioration of the program last year would cause a change, but now I’m convinced they are happy to just be good. The NCAA castrated SMU with the death penalty and they’ve never grown back. Our leaders are eunuchs.

Yep. Huge thanks to David Miller for the Moody renovation, but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that he doesn’t have a big time vision for SMU basketball going forward. If he did, Timmy Tankovich would've been canned after last season.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:39 pm

Hop Sing wrote:I thought the deterioration of the program last year would cause a change, but now I’m convinced they are happy to just be good. The NCAA castrated SMU with the death penalty and they’ve never grown back. Our leaders are eunuchs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good???????????????????????, What planet are you on???????????????

Best win this season was versus a team that just came off a 40 point loss. 2nd best was against a 100-ranked Temple team & 3rd best was against 120-ranked UCF????

That isn’t good.

It’s also why I don’t get worked up by beating Memphis or losing to ECU.

This is a very average BB team masquerading as a bubble NIT team due to a wimpy OOC schedule that built wins while masking failure.

and actually HS, I agree with your overall premise, but to be clear, our ‘eunuch’ leaders over the past 35+ years have only been Ken Pye and RGT. Who knows what a real leader would do.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:16 am

16-6 has the appearance of being good and that’s what I think is important to the decision makers at SMU right now. I wholeheartedly agree that our record is smoke and mirrors, but it has most on this board talking post season scenarios.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:29 am

OR, let me present an alternative.

David Miller cares about the program and has made massive investments in SMU.

The school isn't in a position financially to both buy out Jank's contract (would cost at least 3M I think?) and pay for the next coach. They are going to need alumni support for that.

SO it comes down to whether or not Miller and other alumni see enough progress this year to prevent them from paying a huge buyout.

If the team tanks the rest of the year, then yeah, I can see something happening in that regard.

But if the team finishes with a really strong record, makes the NIT, and has Davis in this offense for one more year and adds the McNeil piece... no move is going to happen. Davis and many of the other players clearly like Jank. He will be around another year unless this thing becomes an absolute dumpster fire the rest of the year.
JasonB

Postby skyscraper » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:36 pm

I strongly disagreed with the decision to retain Jank after last season, but on paper I could understand the rationale.
Next month we will find out if Miller and the AD are truly interested in having a top level basketball program.
Casual interest has been dead for two seasons now and I could see more people walking away from their tickets if Jank is retained and spending that money on football.
skyscraper

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:56 pm

The days of stars showing up at Moody Coliseum, seem like a distant memory.
ALEX LIFESON

Re: Has David Miller

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:11 pm

skyscraper wrote:I strongly disagreed with the decision to retain Jank after last season, but on paper I could understand the rationale.
Next month we will find out if Miller and the AD are truly interested in having a top level basketball program.
Casual interest has been dead for two seasons now and I could see more people walking away from their tickets if Jank is retained and spending that money on football.

If they wouldn’t fire him after last season’s losing record, I can’t see them firing him this season, a bubble NIT team with maybe 20 wins.

I’m assuming tankovich signed a 5-year deal and they will allow him to fulfill it, much like they will with Mays, due primarily to financial considerations.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 am

We lost to ECU. That's all I needed to see.
Pony ^

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:29 am

David Miller has done more for SMU basketball than all the other alumnis put together. He recently gave one of the biggest single gifts in SMU history. I don't think his name needs to be called out. Whatever he decides is good with me. If I win the lottery than maybe I would have a more vocal opinion, maybe not. It's his money and he can spend it on whatever he wants. If replacing the men's basketball coach is not something he wants to spend it on so be it.
mustangxc

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 pm

mustangxc wrote:David Miller has done more for SMU basketball than all the other alumnis put together. He recently gave one of the biggest single gifts in SMU history. I don't think his name needs to be called out. Whatever he decides is good with me. If I win the lottery than maybe I would have a more vocal opinion, maybe not. It's his money and he can spend it on whatever he wants. If replacing the men's basketball coach is not something he wants to spend it on so be it.

X 1000. Everyone is fast to spend someone else's dough. One of the above posters had it right - too expensive to buy him out plus hire who we would wall want - that's a 10M swing. We lose 3-4M a year as it is in athletics.

also - we have some talent on this team you don't want to leave. They will be treading carefully on personnel changes. The same yahoos on this site will be kicking the new guy in the shins when he has to start from scratch.

Not saying it shouldn't change - just saying there are other factors to think through besides "I miss Larry Brown".
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 pm

Well said, gentlemen.
ponyboy

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:53 pm

You are so right !! I just hope that Sonny has plenty of patience. I think he can get it done with the
football program in spite of the Geldings that run the school that I have loved for over 60 years. Totally
Different situation with basketball......must have an intervention to save it from the abyss .
ponypatrick
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball