PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:32 am

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... -stanford/

Larry almost went to Stanford in 2008. I read he had another offer to go there after Dawkins. He seemed to like smart, private colleges. Did his son enroll at SMU after he took the job?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:00 am

friarwolf wrote:If they bring him back, that 3MM may look cheap. It will be back to the Doh days attendance-wise. I think it is likely Feron is gone..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/58d892ad9189c1e84799cba58d56e09a.jpg

Does that mean we can talk about Fire Jank again????
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:16 am

tristatecoog wrote:http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/07/16/larry-brown-on-the-record-about-the-stanford-job-i-was-going-to-stanford/

Larry almost went to Stanford in 2008. I read he had another offer to go there after Dawkins. He seemed to like smart, private colleges. Did his son enroll at SMU after he took the job?

Yes
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:32 am

As long as Jank has the support of this team and the guys continue to believe in him, I have to think he will be back next year with a slightly better roster (simply by the addition of McNeill and another year of experience for everyone). This week's games at Moody vs Memphis & Wichita State will be interesting to see which team shows up. These are the teams we are competing with for that coveted 4th place finish and 1st round tournament bye. If they drop one of these home games, they will be lucky to split the last 4 games and finish 10-8 in conference. If they lose both games this week, I could see an 18-13 finish and the whole thing could fall apart.

Win both games this week, finish strong by winning at least one of the last 2 road games, win at least one game in the AAC tourney and sneak into the NIT and it's still possible Jank can be the one to rebuild this program. Haven't see much of Hoopmanx but I would say that Jank did an unexpectedly good job replacing McMurray and Whitt and I wouldn't consider this season an epic disaster although it might be too early to make that call.
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I would say that Jank did an unexpectedly good job replacing McMurray and Whitt and I wouldn't consider this season an epic disaster although it might be too early to make that call.

Last Year 15-17 / Sagarin ranking of 97
This Year 18-8 / Sagarin ranking of 95

We do what we do
SoCal_Pony

Postby skyscraper » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:32 pm

We are a mediocre team that’s boring to watch and is uninspiring for fans and students. Another year of this would be insanity.
skyscraper

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:19 pm

Insanity indeed, but the zen master will be back. Bet on it.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Re: Has David Miller

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:29 am

skyscraper wrote:We are a mediocre team that’s boring to watch and is uninspiring for fans and students. Another year of this would be insanity.

Aggravating? Yes! Insanity? Not if we can't afford the buyout plus the replacement. We don't have a large loyal fanbase so unless a key individual is ready to foot the bill we are likely stuck with Jankovich another season.
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:09 am

That’s where I’m at as well xc

It’s obvious that lack of funds is what kept tank around this year.

To me that means 2 things.

1) We would go on the cheap side to find his replacement
2) Since we can’t afford to buyout tank, we most likely won’t be able to buyout his replacement either if he turns out to be a turdish and the odds would be higher of this occurring since he was a cheap hire to begin with.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that tankovich will be back next year. As best I can, I’m OK with that, as long as his eventual replacement is a splash hire.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:06 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:That’s where I’m at as well xc

2) Since we can’t afford to buyout tank, we most likely won’t be able to buyout his replacement either if he turns out to be a turdish and the odds would be higher of this occurring since he was a cheap hire to begin with.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that tankovich will be back next year. As best I can, I’m OK with that, as long as his eventual replacement is a splash hire.

There are plenty of good coaches who can be hired "on the cheap" that have great track records but are coaching in lower level conferences. The So Con in my part of the country has produced some pretty talented teams of late and just as an example, ETSU has a guy who has spent time at both Texas A&M and Wichita State and might be a good candidate

https://www.wjhl.com/uncategorized/etsu ... onference/
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:That’s where I’m at as well xc

There are plenty of good coaches who can be hired "on the cheap" that have great track records but are coaching in lower level conferences. The So Con in my part of the country has produced some pretty talented teams of late and just as an example, ETSU has a guy who has spent time at both Texas A&M and Wichita State and might be a good candidate

https://www.wjhl.com/uncategorized/etsu ... onference/

As great of a schoola s SMU is, we will always need a name coach with a great rep to be successful. We need to pay for a big name, which might be part of the reason there isn't a big appetite for a buyout.

Jank is a players coach. If players leave the program, that would run against his strongest attribute and would certainly be a very bad sign. If that were to happen, I don't think he lasts the offseason.

The players on the team will be significantly better next season. We need Mike and Hunt to get thicker. I would expect Jolly, Davis, and Band to take significant steps forward physically and defensively. McNeil is a really nice piece to add, and the competition for minutes at all 5 positions because of who is on campus will push players in the offseason. Because of that, the expectations next year will be NCAA or bust.
JasonB

Postby friarwolf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 am

JB, why would they get better? Players don't improve under our "players coach". They don't have to because he isn't going to do anything to them. He can't even pull the trigger on Memphis Doug. He should have been run off after his freshman year yet he continues to occupy a spot. Chaggy????? Feron doesn't even start anymore in his second season and his numbers are basically the same as last year and built largely on the non-conf part of the schedule. Mike? His stats have dropped like a rock after the cupcake non-conf schedule. I would say it is even money Davis and Jolly level off next year as there is no one going to push them. I just don't see the reason for optimism if the idiot returns.............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:25 pm

friarwolf wrote:JB, why would they get better? Players don't improve under our "players coach". They don't have to because he isn't going to do anything to them. He can't even pull the trigger on Memphis Doug. He should have been run off after his freshman year yet he continues to occupy a spot. Chaggy????? Feron doesn't even start anymore in his second season and his numbers are basically the same as last year and built largely on the non-conf part of the schedule. Mike? His stats have dropped like a rock after the cupcake non-conf schedule. I would say it is even money Davis and Jolly level off next year as there is no one going to push them. I just don't see the reason for optimism if the idiot returns.............

I pointed out the improvement in certain players in a different thread with links, but Hunt, Mike, and White have improved significantly over last season. Jasey has shortcomings, but is better than what he was at A&M. And Davis is much improved over what he was at TCU. Ethan of course was a rotational piece to begin with and has flatlined.

Players get better with age. And with competition. With McNeil coming in, there are going to be (at least should be) some serious competition for minutes next season. I like what Jank did with benching Ethan and Mike. They know they need to play better defensively in order to get a starting spot next season, and Hunt needs to work on his jumper more to be able to play at guard. Competition and competitive practices breed success.

With the group of players on campus fighting for spots, they should significantly improve this offseason. This team should be much better defensively this year, be in the hunt for the conference title, and easily earn an NCAA berth. If none of that happens, it is absolutely, 100% on the coach.
JasonB

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:36 pm

No one with two functioning eyes would dare claim Hunt has gotten better this season.
He was poised to be our next big thing, but like most players under Jank his progress has stalled. He's not even starting anymore. If you said in October he would be a sub for our final games, I would've assumed he was working back from an injury.
skyscraper

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:15 am

Stop honkin’ on Janks bobo there Jason. He’s a terribly mediocre coach who couldn’t plan his way out of a wet paper bag. He’s put together an average collection of players, then done nothing to mold them into a team. He exercises zero control and runs out an offense that’s reliant on hot shooting with zero recourse for a cold night. And his impact on players is proven to maintain, if not degrade, their overall performance and talent.
The only thing Jank has succeeded at is failing to learn anything while working and “studying” under Larry. He’s the type of “players coach” who actually has no care for his players growth and maturation, but instead just dislikes conflict and confrontation so he gives them far too much room to do their own thing so they are happy. In effect, he’s a slowly metastasizing cancer on the entire program. He has to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball